Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Which is better: SNES or SEGA Genesis?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 122 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 27, 2012 2:07:54 PM PST
G-Money says:
I grew up on nintendo, so SNES, but I give respect to genesis as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:39:47 PM PST
True enough on the Virtual Boy. I had one as a kid and I have some fond memories of it, specifically playing Mario Clash and Red Alarm but I completely understand why some other people wouldn't enjoy it. My younger brother had the Game Boy Camera and Printer and he loved that thing, heh. Fun fact! Neil Young's album art for Silver & Gold was taken with a Game Boy Camera!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:29:43 PM PST
Haha, man, been awhile since we had a game game game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:08:06 PM PST
SNES, by a hair. Genesis was awesome too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 1:07:19 PM PST
Joshua C says:
False, that was rigged.

The best console ever is the Commodore 64.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 1:05:11 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:15 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:57:47 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Oh, the IDEA was good. It was the implementation that made it horrible. The design for the console, the way it had to be played, all of it.

Great idea, horrible product.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:51:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 1:07:44 PM PST
Gosh I actually had the Virtual Boy. Definitely not the greatest thing made, but the games I had were pretty fun. I think it was a good idea, but I didn't like how the games were entirely red. I had Mario Tennis (which was ok), Red Alarm, Teleoboxer and Wario Land.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 12:48:40 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Well I wouldn't have gone with the Virtual Boy since it's not an accessory, it's a console. A horrible, horrible console.

ROB the Robot is a good one, though. I didn't bother to check who made the Power Glove (although Nintendo did officially license it), I had just been watching The Wizard the other night so it was fresh in my mind.
I could also have gone with the Gameboy Printer (it was in bargain bins of my local game stores within the first 6 months) or Gameboy Camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 9:24:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 9:39:45 AM PST
What? I don't hate Sega. Where did you get that from? I actually said I'd prefer Sega Genesis with Sega CD over Super Nintendo. I just think it's absurd to give Sega credit for inventing console DLC. And Nintendo DIDN'T make the Power Glove, it was Mattel. It's really not that hard to find the information. If we're looking to mock Nintendo for accessories or something, why not go with ROB the Robot or the Virtual Boy? They actually made those.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:26:40 AM PST
Carlito says:
All I can say is I'm so glad no one has commissioned you to write the history of gaming because your take, for whatever reason, is so jaded and, really, awful...we get it, you have some weird hatred for Sega. We're all aware of it, now move on.

As for which is better, who cares, they're both great, both were a lot of fun and both are on par with each other in my gaming collection. There's absolutely no reason to choose between the two at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:30:05 AM PST
Nintendo didn't make the Power Glove, Mattell did.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 2:15:14 AM PST
Joshua C says:
The argument is moot. Blast Processing makes the Genesis the clear winner.

Not to mention the influence of Sonic and Knuckles, introducing the concept carrying data from one game into another (which carried forward into Shining Force CD, the Suikoden series, Pokemon, Super Robot Wars, and more).

Also, they actually had a solid expansion to the existing hardware in the Sega CD (despite all their failures in making it available at a reasonable cost to the majority of Genesis owners) whereas the peripherals for Nintendo systems up to that point were lackluster at best, excluding the Zapper/Super Scope, which wasn't really anything special. I can't think of any other console that has actually had an add-on which expanded the capabilities of the console for gaming (since the 360 did have that HD DVD drive for all 10 movies in that format)

And the Activator? Really. You wanna pull that card. Ok, fine. Nintendo failed first, and harder, with the Power Glove. The Activator actually worked with games that were designed for it (granted, only three titles offered full support), whereas the Power Glove didn't work properly for... well.. anything.

*I actually like both consoles and can't choose between the two. I just like that the Genesis ads said it had BLAST PROCESSINGGGGGGGG

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:49:01 PM PST
SNES by a longshot for me. A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, DK Country Trilogy etc. SNES is easily one of my favorite consoles ever. Genesis is still a good system though.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:10:12 PM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
My first console was a Sega Genenis --- it will always be the best, its got the best memories for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:47:16 PM PST
" Also, people consider Spacewar! the influential one, not Space War. Learn the difference."

Ease up on the attitude, okay? I'm more than happy to discuss this with you but there's no need for that snarkiness.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:29:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 6:31:43 PM PST
But the fact that the DLC stuff now is directly relation to the PC world makes Sonic and Knuckles just another one of Sega's failed attempts from the 90s to be "innovative" and "cool." Just like the Activator, just like the 32X, just like the Saturn's NetLink. It's just debris from the past that has no bearing on the stuff from today.

Also, people consider Spacewar! the influential one, not Space War. Learn the difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:23:14 PM PST
Space Wars didn't have a direct influence at the time yet it was an important step in the history of video games.

Not all innovations are through new technology. In fact, disruptive innovations often use existing technology. Nintendo was not the first company to use analog controls in home video game consoles but it was the first to make analog controls mainstream. The fact that Nintendo made analog controls popular does not take away from the earlier systems that used them such as the Atari 5200 and Vectrex (and they weren't even the first.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:18:57 PM PST
The Game Genie only allowed you to patch existing code. You could not introduce new content through a Game Genie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:14:46 PM PST
I would argue that if something didn't have an influence at its time, despite its originality, then it doesn't deserve to be called "important."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:12:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 6:13:04 PM PST
Biohazard says:
What about the Game Genie? It had the same design as the Sonic and Knuckles cartridge and added content to games on the SNES and Genesis, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:08:33 PM PST
It's important because it was the first instance of adding new content to a console game (that I know of.) I mean, I played online multiplayer games with my SNES and nobody did much with the idea of online multiplayer until the Xbox (Dreamcast was half-assed online play.) You could argue that Microsoft probably was not influenced by X-Band but that doesn't mean the X-Band doesn't deserve some recognition as the first console online gaming network. It was the first step for online console gaming just as S&K was the step for introducing new content into a console game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:05:17 PM PST
You're missing my point here. You guys said "the importance" of the game. If it were important, there would've been something that had been influenced by it. There weren't any games that seemed to be influenced by it though. How is it still important?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 6:00:04 PM PST
That's fine if you don't want to give S&K the credit but I can't think of any earlier instance (on consoles) where you could download a character from one cartridge and play with him in another.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:57:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 5:58:10 PM PST
Still, I don't think Sonic and Knuckles deserves the credit. It was a unique cartridge at the time, for sure, but it didn't really change anything in that generation or the generation afterward. The first system I can remember actually having that kind of DLC after Sonic and Knuckles is Dreamcast but I doubt they would've credited that influence to S&K.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  122
Initial post:  Dec 26, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions