Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: World War Z. Now this looks like a freakin good movie

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 92 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:00:42 AM PST
Carlito says:
I don't know you or anything so I don't want to make any assumptions, but I don't think it's laziness so much that once you get to a certain point (late 20's/out of college/career, etc) that things meant to entertain (games, comics, tv shows, movies) cease to be one of the biggest pillars in a persons life and, instead, revert back to what they were meant to be, entertainment. I think this might be the case for most, not all, but most. I do have a friend, same age, and he's the 'remake/item x destroyed/crushed/wizzed on my childhood' types to which I tell him I wish I had his life growing up if that's the BIGGEST thing he had happen to him to tarnish his childhood.

Way back when all of Michael Crichton books were being made into movies (middle school), I realized no movie will ever resemble the book and I should judge based on medium not source material. Made life a lot easier and has prevented me from beating the dead horse of 'book is better'

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:08:41 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Good thing I don't read books. When I watch movies I just watch with an open mind without any pre-conceived notions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:02:43 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Yep. I'm not raging. It'll probably be a perfectly acceptable zombie movie. It won't be World War Z by any stretch of the imagination. However that doesn't mean it won't be a decent action movie. I'll just do what I always do for action movies, turn my brain off and enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:58:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:00:01 AM PST
Ice King says:
I know exactly what you mean. I'm 36 and I find hatred to take way too much energy. I even end up getting over people wronging me in real life much more quickly because it's just too much work to maintain the level of hate required to plan revenge.

I also don't mind if something is mindless. Transformers, for example, mostly lived up to what I was expecting and I enjoyed most of the movies.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but you know what the best part of that is? It's too much energy to care.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:55:59 AM PST
Carlito says:
I can't lie that I wasn't once like that but that was in my early 20's, I'm 33 now and hating on things for the sake of hating is just so pointless and a waste of time to me at this point. So what Transformers wasn't Raging Bull...it had cars turning into robots and explosions, seems to be what I remember as a kid. World War Z is an action fest with zombies so it sounds perfect when I want an action fest with zombies. It's not like this is setting out to be All Quiet on the Western Front. I just must of had a lot more energy in my 20's to be hypercritical of inconsequential things in life but now I just want to entertained. If it doesn't look entertaining, I just avoid it. Don't have the time/energy to randomly hate on things I'll never see/play anymore

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:34:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 6:37:15 AM PST
Ice King says:
It's not just gamers, it's geeks in general. There seems to be nothing geeks hate more than things that are made for them.
I have to admit I've fallen into that trap a few times, but I like think I've mostly gotten over it. I do have my concerns for this movie, but they're based on my experiences with movies that should be rated R being watered down to sell tickets to children and I admit I could be wrong. In fact, I hope I get to say how wrong I was when this comes out next year.
These days, if I do hate something I make sure I have a real reason and it's not just because other people like it.
This is mostly an internet thing, in the real world people are much less hateful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:25:04 AM PST
Carlito says:
It's not that hard to figure out...hardcore gamers spend 99% of their time hating almost everything, the last 1% of their day is spent loving the fact that they hate almost everything. The equation is quite simple. Just name something you like, just list it, nothing else and I'll show you how it works.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:41:13 AM PST
Voice of god says:
"She looks like an older mutated Emilie de Ravin."

She's what came out after The Hills Have Eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:38:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 5:39:24 AM PST
Ice King says:
Yikes! She looks like an older mutated Emilie de Ravin. Maybe it's just the picture though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:00:23 AM PST
Ugly as flick?

Well that's actually not half bad.
http://thedukesplayground.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/tracy_flick.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:51:00 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Even if you think she's ugly, I'm not seeing the horse face you keep referring to. Maybe an ewok or a hobbit, but no horse.

Alanis Morisette: Horse
Sarah Jessice Parker: Transvetite Donkey Witch
Chick from The Killing: No ungulate of any kind

It's just not there, dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:41:49 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Oh c'mon, everyone has derp pictures.
http://www.iherpderp.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/leia.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:51:57 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 14, 2012 11:54:59 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:25:49 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
I looked at google images. Didn't see a horse. However... http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbikarIDCr1riwi4oo1_250.jpg

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:24:47 PM PST
YIGT says:
I didnt mind the running zombies so much as the last part where they are climbing super fast up the pile of bodies to get to the top of the wall. That would very difficult to do for living person but zombies all of a sudden have the agility of spider man. Kills it for me ill still watch it on demand or something at home but not paying to watch it in theater.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 5:11:52 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:47:57 PM PST
You make a fair point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:46:36 PM PST
PacinoBully says:
They are using source material already created for another medium.
You know what I was saying by movie star. Someone that everyone goes to see no matter the movie (Dicaprio, Hanks, Depp)
Last, she has the face of a horse. Look at google images. 6/10 at best.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 2:33:57 PM PST
For anybody that's interested, here's the article that I posted in the other thread....

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/11/08/brad-pitt-world-war-z-photo/

It's panic in the street in this exclusive new photo from next summer's World War Z, the most expensive zombie project in Hollywood history and the most focused effort to date by Brad Pitt (center) to add something new to his varied career: the first multi-film popcorn franchise that he can claim as his and his alone.
Pitt plays Gerald Lane, a United Nations researcher watching civilization teeter on collapse in the face of a rapacious army of rasping death. How can the relentless hordes be stopped? To answer that question, Lane accepts a mission that pulls him away from his family (Mireille Enos of AMC's now-terminated series The Killing plays his wife) and sends him on a global search for the plague's dark origins - and, yes, that fact-finding odyssey just might take three PG-13 films to complete, if World War Z gets a lively response at the box office.
First the $180 million project will have to overcome a bumpy production that already has vultures circling overhead. Filming began in summer of 2011 with an eye toward a release this holiday season, but as weeks became months the disagreements grew between director Marc Forster (Finding Neverland) and producer-star Pitt. Earlier this year, the December release date was tossed out the window, and in the summer, the third act of Matthew Carnahan's script got the same sort of farewell fling. Despite the third act footage that was already in the can, Prometheus writer Damon Lindelof was brought in to write a new ending - both literally and figuratively - for the venture. Of course, the new scenes and re-shoots pushed the film costs up as well, putting more pressure on all involved...
EW DAILY POLL: Who would win a 'Breaking Dawn' brood-off?
Insiders promise the new ending was worth the cost and they say the film still has plenty of the inventive spirit of the source material, the 2006 bestseller World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks (who, by the way, is the writing offspring of Mel Brooks). And there is a market for zombie sagas if you go by the millions of viewers who tune in to The Walking Dead on AMC and the fact that Resident Evil now has five installments. But World War Z will also feel the hot Internet wrath of purist fans who are offended that the film's zombies might be better described as the running dead. That's because World War Z follows in the fleet footsteps of Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake in 2005 with its flouting of the shambling zombie tradition set down by George A. Romero's genre-sparking films, beginning with Night of the Living Dead in 1968.
Visual effects supervisor John Nelson (Iron Man) said World War Z's zombies lean more toward sci-fi transformation victims rather than supernatural resurrection subjects. That led to a lot of research into animal behavior, especially for creatures under the amok-time sway of predator appetite or spawning urge.
"They are like predatory animals that can't control themselves," Nelson said. "I worked with tigers [while shooting Gladiator], and if you watch them when a horse goes by they go batty, even if they know they can't reach it. When Zs see humans they do same thing, they activate. They launch themselves."
He went on to add: "There are a lot of things in nature we're mining as references. They move like birds or school of fish, too, in reactive formations, and it's not because they have a higher level of [shared] thinking or communication - it's about their nature and the fact that their instinct to infect is so basic, efficient, and overpowering. They will go through anything. If they lose both legs, they will walk on their hands. They lock in and they're like salmon going upstream or sperm swimming to be the first to egg."
Unlike most fresh-water fish or spermatozoa, the zombies in the movie are resourceful when it comes to helicopter attacks. At one point in the film, a surging crowd of Zs climb up and over each other to create a writhing, wobbling column of infected flesh. "Everyone has seen everything in this genre," Nelson said. "So of course we looked to try to find something new. And we have some."
Time will tell if the slow-moving production with fast-moving zombies finds a foothold in a crowded summer, but maybe Pitt and Paramount should look the challenges dead in the eye and wink at them - and one place to start is by resurrecting an especially fitting movie-poster motto from old Hollywood: "Run - don't walk - to theaters!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:18:46 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
You dont believe me?!? Then tell me this....how would I know that Godzilla makes an appearance in the film if I hadnt already seen it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 2:02:03 PM PST
Bobbum Man says:
Going to pass on this. Seems way to Hollywood for me. Plus the zombies look stupid and behave the same.

Are they a swarm of bees?

They looked like they just piled up on top of each other to move places.

But, toss in Brad Pitt along with the zombie fad and the title of a popular book and you'll make millions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:14:18 PM PST
PacinoBully, the problem with your scenario is that the movie doesn't look like it was rushed, and the source is not a franchise, and that movie stars often star in movies, and that the woman playing his wife isn't ugly... otherwise you have a spot-on fantasy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:11:53 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Yeah, she's pretty cute.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:09:59 PM PST
Meth Panther says:
She was pretty damn ugly in the Killing. Can't say I recognize her from anything else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 1:08:49 PM PST
Mireille Enos *is* far from ugly. And she makes a believable wife/mom type.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  92
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions