Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

CVG looks at the Vita's first year

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:53:36 PM PST
badeggsalad says:
I bought a new Lite just a couple of months ago when my original one got smashed. I still play a lot of my GBA games & definitely still play my DS games & the shorter battery life of the 3DS just wasn't cutting it. I got spoiled by the battery life of the DS Lite & wanted another one.

I held onto my GBA SP as well so I could continue to play my original Gameboy & Gameboy color carts. Don't know why it's such a big deal to hold onto your old consoles, though. I rarely, if ever, get rid of any of my games & have never sold a console, handheld or otherwise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:17:50 PM PST
It wasn't that much of a stretch to think that broadband speeds would become widely available. I mean, my buddy made the leap to broadband in 2003 and had awesome download speeds. Sony makes memory cards and they did back then. They knew that memory card capacity and read speeds would increase. Sure, technology has advanced a lot over the last few years but that's what Sony does. They were perfectly capable of having a vision about near future tech.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:14:48 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Could just be that they assumed the successor to the PSP would also use UMD's, or a derivative of that. The PSP released in 2004 in Japan. Technology in general made HUGE leaps in data compression, transmission and in flash memory since then...but in 2003/2004 while the PSP was in development, it was a stretch to think we would be able to download 2 GB in less than an hour.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:12:54 PM PST
Agreed. I would love to play San Andreas on Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:09:11 PM PST
"Why harp on this now? Sony didn't know what media the future PS Vita would use when they designed the PSP."

It's not so much harping as it is that it's important to make sure your roadmap is in line with your future vision. By going with UMDs in the first place Sony made things very difficult for themselves when the next generation handheld was in development. I am positive that Sony's engineers knew the flaws of the UMD and that the future was leaning more towards flash media and digital distribution.

"Actually, the customers were the ones who hated UMD's."

Yes, but UMDs were what we got and those of us who supported Sony by purchasing UMDs got left out in the cold. That's not good business nor is it a selling point.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 12:05:03 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
"Which just goes to show that Sony should never have gone with the UMD format in the first place"

Why harp on this now? Sony didn't know what media the future PS Vita would use when they designed the PSP.

"However, it is not the customer's fault that Sony doesn't like their UMD format anymore"

Actually, the customers were the ones who hated UMD's.

"and Sony should have thrown us some kind of bone like the Passport program or a UMD buy-back system."

Yes, this I agree with.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:57:15 AM PST
Its [Vita] great for PS1 games and will work well for PS2 and PSN games. Oh well...if it never happens

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:54:48 AM PST
back touch pad does work well for that

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:54:33 AM PST
I played God of War 1 remote play with L2/R2 mapped to the back touchpad, and though it wasn't perfect, I got used to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:53:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:54:08 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
PS2 games would be problematic in that many use both triggers. Need to map L1/R1 somewhere not goofy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:51:58 AM PST
Hell yes, I play a lot of PS1 games on the Vita, I'd love to have PS2 games as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:50:18 AM PST
fair point.

I really hope that Sony allows PS2 and PSN games on the PSV. That would be AWESOME!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:47:28 AM PST
I was only making the point that the two situations are not necessarily exactly comparable. I don't really use BC on my home consoles either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:45:54 AM PST
The Family Edition and Wii Mini (introduced five and six years into the Wii lifecycle) do not offer BC.

The DS and DS Lite have GBA BC. The DSi (released 4-5 years into the DS lifecycle) does not offer GBA BC.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:45:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:48:46 AM PST
I have my BC (two of them - 60gb and 80gb) PS3s....Im not in the market for a BC PS3. Heck, I cant remember the last time i actually used my PS3 to play PS2 or PS1 disc based games.

I bought my Vita for Vita Games mainly. So anything and everything else is just a bonus. that be Cross Controller, Cross Buy, PS Mobile, Minis, PCE, PS1, Remote Play, etc.

I also kept my PSone, my two PS2s and my two PSPs...so Im ok

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:42:45 AM PST
Must be selling enough. Nintendo isn't stupid, they aren't going to keep an old system in their sales mix that is not profitable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:41:35 AM PST
Then you've got a problem, but you can buy a new DS with GBA BC, you cannot buy a new PS3 or Vita with BC.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:41:08 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
I guess I don't understand why Nintendo is still making them. That seems like a retarded business decision to me. SKU quantity isn't free, so what's the point of keeping a SKU around that is selling in the teens?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:40:38 AM PST
"Remember Nintendo also removed backwards compatibility...from both the DS and the Wii, and the complaints were barely noticed. Sony removes BC and suddenly they're the worst company imaginable and the Vita and PS3 are utter garbage. Double-standard much?"

But the first models of those systems offered BC (which is exactly what I wrote in the post you are responding to.) No, Sony is not the worst company imaginable (nobody is saying that) but I can't imagine that sitting here with shelves of UMD games that can't be played on Vita is a selling point. No double standards here.

"And the entire gaming universe were calling for Sony to abandon the UMD since it was first introduced. Sony does just that, and suddenly everyone's appalled that Sony had the gall to do what people wanted. "

Which just goes to show that Sony should never have gone with the UMD format in the first place (in fairness that is said with the benefit of hindsight.) However, it is not the customer's fault that Sony doesn't like their UMD format anymore and Sony should have thrown us some kind of bone like the Passport program or a UMD buy-back system.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:40:11 AM PST
Coffee says:
"I think it's a pretty fair statement to say that BC is included in release models but is decontented later as pricing comes down."

I would agree with that statement. It makes sense to remove the BC once the gaming library increases a bit, and you don't need the extra titles to bolster your gaming selection. Early on it's a strong selling point for a new console/handheld to say "Play these new games! Oh and you can play all of the existing ones as well!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:39:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:39:50 AM PST
what if I "Really" value BC but really want a DSi?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:37:53 AM PST
You can still buy a Lite brand new from any retailer. People that value BC can buy a Lite, people that don't can buy a DSi.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:36:41 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
OK, but who's buying Lites? And why the heck is Nintendo still making them; are they?

I think it's a pretty fair statement to say that BC is included in release models but is decontented later as pricing comes down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:35:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:36:13 AM PST
"the PS3 which hasn't had BC in any models since 2007."

umm...late 2008

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 11:32:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 11:36:32 AM PST
"and the DS is and always was backwards compatable?"

I think he's referring to the DSi losing the GBA slot. The flaw in the logic is that the DSLite is still available brand new from Nintendo, unlike the PS3 which hasn't had BC in any models since 2008.

Edited for correctness.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions