Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Team Ninja: Wii U Is "Definitely Next Generation"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 3:12:41 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
A few months back Ukrainian developer 4A, the team behind Metro: Last Light, claimed that it was not impressed with the graphical processing power of Wii U, saying it has a "horrible, slow CPU". This comment naturally sparked off a debate within the industry with many people agreeing with the statement, while others denounced it.

Team Ninja, the developer behind Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, has now jumped to the defence of the Wii U by adding to the ranks that argue the console is "definitely next generation". In an interview with Edge, Yosuke Hayashi, head of Team Ninja and director of Ninja Gaiden 3, dismissed 4A's comments saying many developers use the perceived low power of the CPU as a smokescreen when making simple business decisions.

To be completely blunt and honest, there's no way that the Wii U processor is `horrible and slow' compared to other platforms.

However Hayashi does admit the Wii U hasn't pushed the bar of the previous generation's processor speeds, but insists that the next generation is about more than just beefing up CPUs.

If you're basing this simply on processor speed, then it's not next generation. If you're basing this on Wii U being a new idea that challenges existing platforms, then it definitely is next generation. It is a console videogame platform that is now independent of the TV. Nobody has done that before.

Players want new innovation that includes the environment in which you play and services you use, rather than just raw processor spec. Nintendo is at the forefront of that innovation. I'm looking forward to seeing what the other platforms come up with in the future.

Hayashi went on to say that the Wii U actually helped Team Ninja rectify problems it had with the original Ninja Gaiden 3, which was released on other consoles; the new version has been drastically changed in places to keep blood-thirsty fans happy. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge will be available in Europe on 11th January, though North America has been slicing and dicing since the Wii U launched.

Team Ninja is looking into bringing more titles to Wii U and is currently making an action game that may or may not be in development for Nintendo's new home console.

Do you think Team Ninja is correct to denounce those immortal "horrible, slow CPU" comments, or is the lack of processor speed likely to be an issue in the new generation of gaming? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

And sanity prevails at Team Ninja, adding one more to the basket of truthful developers. This guy was as blunt as could be, basically outing the other devs on their BS. I appreciate his candor and wish that more like him would step forward with their testimonies.

Link: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/team_ninja_wii_u_is_definitely_next_generation

Related news: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/01/team_ninja_considering_more_titles_for_wii_u

Your thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 3:15:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 6:44:52 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Metro developers don't understand what defines a console generation. Team Ninja developers set them straight.

Did I get that right?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:51:32 PM PST
I. Flores says:
And you know what happens when a game dev sweettalks the WiiU, boys and girls?

They get to make their very own WiiU exclusive!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:01:44 PM PST
Joel H. says:
"Hayashi went on to say that the Wii U actually helped Team Ninja rectify problems it had with the original Ninja Gaiden 3, which was released on other consoles"

Yes, there is now 5% less screen tearing in your experience of suck.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:19:39 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
''However Hayashi does admit the Wii U hasn't pushed the bar of the previous generation's processor speeds, but insists that the next generation is about more than just beefing up CPUs.''

My thoughts: You shouldn't write down misleading titles.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:27:18 PM PST
I don't want devs to tell me how awesome a console is, I want them to show me.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:40:54 PM PST
Here's the flowchart for the next gen and current gen. Nintendo announces something nobody else does and people speculate that it'll bomb. Nintendo releases and eventually people start realizing how great it is and come on board. Once people start realizing the potential, MS and Sony comes on board and tries to steal the thunder. We'll see how that works next gen, it didn't do so hot for the other 2 for current.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:24:39 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Agreed, history will repeat itself. Everything you just said about MS and Sony can be summarized in just one word, which is also what these two companies often find themselves guilty of:

Hubris.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 6:35:41 PM PST
AJF says:
Meh I don't think its hubris, just following the money.

Hubris is Valve thinking it can magically woo developers and consumers to linux just because Gaben decrees it so.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:00:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 7:40:04 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Valve? Valve discovered the word hubris - heck, they wrote a book on it. Oxford should literally change the meaning of that word to "See: Valve".

I've been cliff-hung on the ending of Half life 2 Ep.2 for what? 10 years now? Instead getting multiple full blown sequels to what used to be Valve's side projects? Yeah, I'm done with Valve.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:17:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 7:19:54 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
If by history you mean staying in a dark, lonely corner with almost no 3rd party support, then yeah I guess history will repeat itself. ZING!!!

If people are gonna freely jab MS and Sony on this thread then I'll make some damage control.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:36:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 7:36:49 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
"If by history you mean staying in a dark, lonely corner with almost no 3rd party support, then yeah I guess history will repeat itself. ZING!!! - And still be the overall winner of the generation." - Fixed.

If Nintendo is as handicapped as people always cite they are, then the competition should truly be ashamed. That's like being on steroids and attending the special Olympics only to STILL place last.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 7:44:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 7:56:33 PM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I seriously hope you're joking, joking!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 7:50:40 PM PST
Whole lot of words up there. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and I'm anxiously awaiting the pudding.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 8:03:12 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Am I? You be the judge.

To be honest, I'm trying to discern which flag you're flying. You're either new to these forums or haven't been around for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 11:26:24 PM PST
Looks like you won't be playing Aliens CM or the next Team Ninja game on your George Foreman grill.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 11:55:19 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
He's just being nice. So many people picking on the Wii U lately.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:54:06 AM PST
Keller says:
I expected the U to essentially be a ps3 with tablet controller... So far I am not disappointed. Gameplay has always been more important than graphics. :)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:59:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
All Team Ninja cares about is that when they program boob physics that they are realistic as possible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 4:57:27 AM PST
But, is there REALLY anything more important than that?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:15:28 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
This ... this is true.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:51:30 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I was just talking about this with a buddy, actually. After watching a review of DOA2 on the Dreamcast, which I hadn't seen in years, I realized that their Boobyphysics were much more realistic then than they are now. Of course, then I saw videos of the original DOA on the Saturn and had to laugh real hard.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:24:46 AM PST
Soulshine says:
But the Wii U already released, so that's current-gen, right? It started the current gen, as it was the first next-gen console to launch. How long does it need to be out until "next-gen" is current gen?

I'M SO CONFUSED

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:44:07 AM PST
Iso says:
I really think these articles explaining one way or another are all hurting the PR for Nintendo. It should not be even a question or discussion, it is what it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:26:09 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"It is a console videogame platform that is now independent of the TV. Nobody has done that before."

Maybe it's just me, but I despite all the propaganda that Nintendo and their partners have been spewing, I don't see this as all that much of a selling point. In fact, given the choice I would rather game on a crisp 1080p display than a small, standard def screen.

As for whether it's "next gen", I would say the Wii U definitely is. Despite the processor speed, it's a fact that it is a more powerful machine than the Xbox 360 and the PS3. Current games on it look the same as the PS3 and 360 (which are at the end of their life cycles), and we all know that launch games are the worst-looking of the bunch. We can already start to see a generational leap in visuals just by playing the Rayman Legends demo. Yes, the PS4 and Xbox 3 will be more powerful, but that still doesn't put the Wii U at last gen status.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions