Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony copyrighting anti-used games tech

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 193 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 6:05:30 PM PST
Brandon says:
OK, so most of us have heard rumors about the major consoles building in anti-used game tech in to the next generation. It sounds like Sony has just been caught copyrighting some of this tech, which would link the disc ID to your machine when you first put it in. Thoughts? HYPOTHETICALLY, if PS did this and Xbox did not, would that influence your upcoming console decision? Should this be legal (given the enormity of the industry?)

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:08:32 PM PST
Well, they are applying for a patent. That's not quite the same as copyright.

However, I will say that if Sony puts this technology into their next home console then so will Microsoft. As for how it would impact my decision, I am already thinking about giving both Sony and MS the middle finger for the next generation and just go with a PC and a Wii U for gaming. I don't need this technology to be fed up with those two companies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:11:44 PM PST
Brandon says:
Fair enough-not the same as a copyright. But clearly, this is the way things are going for the console industry. I actually *mostly* like both companies and have appreciated the success the current generation of consoles, but I am concerned about this assault on the used games industry.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:13:03 PM PST
DVvM says:
I will not buy any dedicated gaming console that prevents me from playing pre-owned games.

If it comes to the point that they all do, I will become a PC gamer because at least then I will get Steam Sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:14:06 PM PST
Yes, I agree that is where the industry is going. I think Sony (and Microsoft) are bowing to pressure from the third party publishers. Even if those companies get their way they still won't be making enough profit and find another way to put the screws to the consumer.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:14:22 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
Neither Sony or Microsoft have confirmed this technology is being used in the next generation consoles. If it doesn't show up this next generation it would more than likely be in the next generation after but at that point digital only might be there instead.

While I don't think this technology is going to make that many people happy I can understand the decision behind it. Whether or not this is put into the next consoles it won't affect my decision on buying the systems. I never buy used games anyway so my decision as always will rely on if the games that I want to play are on the system.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:35:58 PM PST
K Archer says:
I've said it elsewhere; devs will love this, and if one console has it but the other doesn't you may see more exclusives on the console that does (or less multiplats/worse ports on the one without). Just speculation on my part; but there is one thing that is certain and that's dev support of this.

Another thing I've seen a lot of; console gamers saying they'll go PC if this happens. I just find that funny, since used games aren't really all that common on the PC anymore...

In all seriousness, I doubt this will happen, or if it does it won't be just Sony. But...I do think they may be trying to get "ownership" of this tech so they can make money off it from other companies, even if they don't use it themselves.

As for me, personally...whatever happens will happen. The industry does seem to be pushing towards this, or it'll go mostly digital (which eliminates used games in a different fashion). I'll still play the games I want to, and that's all that matters to me.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:46:11 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
Rumor rumor rumor rumor

Until I see some facts I don't care. I've been though enough console generations to know that the Sega Dreamcast can be implanted in your rear and played with your mind, despite what rumors says.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:54:29 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Personally, it doesn't bother me one bit. More power to them.

I buy all of my games new anyway, unless it's for a previous console generation and I can't find a new copy somewhere (ex., if I were to buy a copy of Xenosaga, I'd get it used). I fully understand where the publishers and developers are coming from in wanting to limit used game sales.

I also wouldn't be surprised if publishers cater to services like Gamefly or Redbox, despite this "anti-used-game" tech, by also releasing a version WITHOUT the lockout, specifically for those companies.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 7:06:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:28:01 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
So long as Microsoft charges for LIVE , i don't think they'd pursue blocking out the used market.

I'm more worried about BC of both disc and digital games from the 360 /PS3. BC is great for gamers with backlogs looking to consolidate machines and it helps ride out the launch software droughts of the new consoles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:12:38 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I think they'd be more likely to block out the used market given the popularity of gaming on Live. After all, Microsoft gets NOTHING out of the sale of a used copy of the game. If a game is massively popular online, they'd want to maximize new sales to drive up the revenue, rather than rely on people to purchase a used copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:17:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:27:34 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
You have to pay for LIVE to play online either way. Even pirates on the system have to succumb to LIVE to play online.

Sony loses the most, hence the Online Pass was implemented on first party titles.

Microsoft loses nothing if you are playing your friends game for the SP...but to load up their servers, you are going to pay...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:54:00 PM PST
Brandon says:
Now that's an interesting idea...a rental license (which I suppose they must already pay, like movie stores did).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:54:22 PM PST
Joshua C says:
They lose nothing except the purchase price of the software. And as we all know, Microsoft loves money, and dines on it. If one company blocks used software, the other will follow suit, and MS will get both your money for live, and for the software purchase.

The simple fact that they charge for Live is not a deterrent to stop them from blocking used games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:34:07 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I thought they'd rather those companies go out of business than cater to them

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:37:13 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I think they'd rather companies like GameStop go out of business, however they have a new level of bargaining power if they institute tech that ties each game to one console. At that point, they can push to have licensing agreements with rental companies, so that they're paid a fee so that they provide the rental version of a game. Kind of like how Netflix or Amazon Prime sets up an agreement with a movie company in order to provide streaming content for a specific studio.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:39:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:44:41 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
If Sony is the only console maker to implement this measure, it won't go over well. If Microsoft follows suit, then perhaps there's some chance they'll survive despite the unavoidable and possibly devastating sales losses.

If no one else does the same, then Sony just patented "Console Maker Suicide".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:42:00 PM PST
I don't buy many used games either. But it would suck if I couldn't sell my old games on ebay anymore.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:45:08 PM PST
Brandon says:
I wish I could be a fly on the wall during their strategy meetings on this. They must be pulling their hair out. On one hand, used games are costing then huge amounts. On the other, actually doing something about this would be a complete PR nightmare. My guess: they ride out the next gen, and then the following gen will be all digital and the decision will be "out of their hands."

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:46:48 PM PST
Joshua C says:
They aren't trying to do anything that PC game devs didn't start implementing over a decade ago (albeit in different ways, like single-use CD keys and mandatory online registrations)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:53:33 PM PST
Brandon says:
Absolutely true. People Think they buy used games at gamestop and that's somehow better for game companies than straight up piracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:54:48 PM PST
AndrewA says:
It's a question of ownership. What did you actually buy when you bought the game and what say should anyone else have as to what you do with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:14:27 PM PST
Joshua C says:
It's actually not a question of ownership at all, as the license agreement on every game you've purchased in recent years (go check the manual from a PS3 of 360 game) isn't really yours. You're just licensing software, which the publishers and developers maintain ownership of.

Case in point, I just grabbed a random game from my shelf (Spider-Man: Web of Shadows for 360, for those curious), flipped to the back, and read the license agreement which states I have no ownership of the game, I merely purchased a license.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 10:23:13 PM PST
I like how Microsoft is always thrown in this conversations. This is about sony. If sony did this why thr F would microsoft? Sony wpuld basiclly be giving microsoft money.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 10:27:37 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Because Microsoft gets nothing off of used game sales, just as Sony doesn't. If one company does it, it doesn't necessarily funnel additional money to the competition, it just leaves the side without that protection holding the ball to continue losing money to resellers. It's likely that, while Sony has filed the patent, Microsoft is working on a similar system in order to stop losing money to things like games being resold, traded, and sold as used by vendors such as Amazon and Gamestop, especially with companies like Target and Best Buy now trying to get into that market.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  193
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions