Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Xbox 720 And PlayStation 4 Cheaper To Develop For, Says Take Two Interactive Boss

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 11:36:59 AM PDT
Harmicky says:
http://www.mobilenapps.com/articles/4923/20121103/xbox-720-playstation-4-cheaper-develop-take.htm

"Developing games for current generation consoles apart from the Nintendo Wii is quite expensive, and many are expecting development costs to double with the new consoles - Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4. However, Strauss Zelnick, CEO of Take-Two Interactive, doesn't seem to think so. He thinks it would be cheaper.

The cost for developing games in full High Definition on both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 has always been an expensive affair, mostly so on the PlayStation 3, since its architecture is unfamiliar to many game developers. Because of this, many developers chose instead to create content for mobile devices, such as Android iOS, and Windows Phone handsets. As for those who persevered, the high development cost forced some companies to wave the white flag, while other had to lay off employees to stay afloat.

With the Xbox 720 (codename Durango), and the PlayStation 3 (codename Orbis), just around the corner, it is expected that the cost of developing games for these platforms could be twice that of the current. This is mainly due to increase in processor and graphic speed and power.

However, Strauss Zelnick, boss of Take Two Interactive seems to have a different take on things.

"We don't have a ramp-up of operating expenses for the next generation," according to Zelnick during a Take Two Interactive investor conference call. "I think I'll answer a question you didn't necessarily pose, which is, do we believe that titles to be a whole lot more expensive to make for next-gen, and the answer is we do not. In many instances we believe that it may be somewhat easier to make titles for next-gen depending on how the technology comes together."

The way Strauss Zelnick explains, it appears it would all depend on the type of technology next generation consoles present to developers, along with how easy development kits are in handling.

The video game market has been in a state of flux for the past several years. Higher game development costs could potentially open the door for mobile gaming to completely take over the space. But if Zelnick's assumption is correct, the video game industry could be set for a resurgence.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 11:44:07 AM PDT
" With the Xbox 720 (codename Durango), and the PlayStation 3 (codename Orbis),"

What is this I don't even...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:50:51 AM PDT
Harmicky says:
Looks like they made a typo. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out they mean "Playstation 4."

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:28:12 PM PDT
Again with this illogical way of thinking!? It's cheaper to make B-movies like Ed Wood used to, so why do they still make Hollywood blockbusters like the Avengers? Why is there this obnoxious batch of journalists that want to push this idea that cheap mobile device games are REPLACING gaming instead of the reality that they are merely adding to availiable options?

I need to breathe deeply and go play some more ACIII, otherwise I may punch someone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:29:58 PM PDT
Maybe Sony hopes they can release the PS3 again claiming it is an all-new console and nobody will notice?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:33:42 PM PDT
uncledonnie3 says:
They clearly love reselling their old games to people so I could actually see that happening.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 12:59:00 PM PDT
John McClane says:
Orbis is a dumb name.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:02:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 1:23:29 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
At least the PS4 is not named after a Mexican state

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:04:37 PM PDT
John McClane says:
Why? You're mexican.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:07:53 PM PDT
Is the NextBox? After all, there are three cities in the United States named Durango.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:21:09 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
Which are named after the Mexican state

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:26:09 PM PDT
The Mexican state is named after the city of Durango which is in Basque Country,Spain.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:27:07 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
Right.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 1:28:10 PM PDT
I have a feeling the only way this is true is if they aren't all that much more powerfull than the 360 and PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:29:44 PM PDT
So by your logic it wouldn't be named after the Mexican state but rather the city in Spain.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:30:20 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
Whatever.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 1:31:56 PM PDT
Why are we arguing about code names? Code names are frequently stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:33:07 PM PDT
Revolution was an awesome code name. So was Nitro.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:35:26 PM PDT
Speaking of Basque Country, my wife will be eating here tonight:

http://www.basquenorte.com/index.php

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:37:54 PM PDT
"Why are we arguing about code names? Code names are frequently stupid"

But...but I loved the Dolphin! Kweee Kwee <--- Dolphin sounds

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 1:40:48 PM PDT
Project Cafe is also much better than WiiU

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 1:57:58 PM PDT
Harmicky says:
Why do you think this? The difficulty in developing games for the systems wasn't due to how powerful they were, but rather how complex their system architecture is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:02:37 PM PDT
There is a bit of both in there. With increased power comes increased graphics, that in turn increases the expense in the graphic design of the games.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:10:07 PM PDT
Harmicky says:
Yeah, of course more powerful graphics require more powerful development tools and such, which can create higher development costs. But I'm pretty sure the conversation here is regarding the complexity of developing for current gen platforms (the Cell, most notably), and whether or not the next gen systems will be built on a more developer friendly architecture.

Ya dig?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 2:57:18 PM PDT
"Higher game development costs could potentially open the door for mobile gaming to completely take over the space."

What? No. *looks at website that posted the article* Oh. That explains it.

I suppose it could be cheaper in some ways. If the consoles are similar enough to PC architecture, thay could lower costs, and it will obviously take years for devs to reach the full graphical and processing potential of these new consoles. Still, I find it much more likely that costs will rise, though not necessarily at the rates people expect.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions