Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Series that killed their own legacy this generation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 139 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:22:12 PM PST
Super R-Typ0 says:
That's like a diaper soiling a trash can.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:31:57 PM PST
Even Mega Man?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:33:55 PM PST
I've only really played ONE SFII game: Turbo Hyper Fighting on SNES. And have no intention to get the others, minus SSFII.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:34:52 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Capcom cancelled it before it could be ruined.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:36:22 PM PST
Super R-Typ0 says:
So what you're saying is, ''please don't give my posts much thought, because I don't.''

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:46:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:48:33 PM PST
neu Tron says:
SOCOM comes to mind above all other franchises. It was one of my favorite series of games on the PS2, even though by the third entry it was showing some signs of slowing down.

The same with Silent Hill. It was arguably already starting to head the wrong way with Silent Hill 4: The Room, but this gen seems to have really devalused the legacy of the series. I hope that Kojima gets the chance to help steer the series in the right direction.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:01:23 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, the same could be said of someone who only really played SSF4:AE and doesn't want to bother with the other versions.

The thing to realize about Capcom's fighting games is that there's no real home console fighting community in Japan. Capcom's fighting games (other than MvC) are pretty much only played by Japanese people in arcades, and to keep people going back to the arcades then Capcom keeps releasing new versions, since arcade-goers get an updated game for no more money out of their pocket, so they like it. Because they updated SSF4 for the Japanese of arcades approximately yearly, it's why we got so many home versions because there was also demand on the home version of things to get the most current version of the game. It's not like releasing SSF4:AE 2012 really ruined anybody's copy of SF4.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:13:15 PM PST
Medal of Honor
Call of Duty
Dungeon Siege
Unreal Tournament
Rainbow Six
Aliens vs Predator
Grand Theft Auto
Tony Hawk
Guitar Hero

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:18:54 PM PST
It's just that yearly releases of the same game are annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:33:32 PM PST
Joshua C says:
You mean like Madden, NCAA, NHL, and NBA games?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:37:35 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I think they should just do roster updates for like 25 bucks, and put out a new game every other year. Put a demo of the upcoming game earlier up too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:44:07 PM PST
and don't forget CoD.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:44:37 PM PST
That seems like a good idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:46:26 PM PST
Joshua C says:
25 bucks is overpriced for a roster update, imo. Maybe 10 bucks to update. As for the demo... just play last years game, since it's essentially the same stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:48:59 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I just picked 25 from the top of my head. It seems reasonable though, and the developer will most likely need some money to continue working.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:50:12 PM PST
I liked the combat system better in X-2. But overall...yeah...X was a much better game in general.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:50:56 PM PST
Benpachi says:
God of War

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 7:57:07 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Yeah, but its not like they're developing a new game by doing a roster update. It's just a patch that changes some numerical values, and unless they had some horrible coding to begin with, that kind of patchjob could be done in a few hours, tops. If they want my money to keep making new games, they would need to release something new, not just a small patch.

Would you really be willing to pay $25 per year to make very small changes to the stats on players? And who's to say it would only update once a year. If they switched to a stat update model, they could charge separately for updates at pre-season, mid-season, post-season, etc.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:01:41 PM PST
FOGE says:
Devil May Cry

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:03:39 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I would like to direct your attention to Devil May Cry 2, back on the PS2... when the series died.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:14:34 PM PST
FOGE says:
Eh that game was ok. DMC3 redeemed it and then some.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:20:07 PM PST
You could just wait for the game to come down to $25. And only buy it every other year.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:22:10 PM PST
Joshua C says:
DMC2 was absolutely horrible. It was way too easy, it made took any attitude that was established for Dante and threw it away and was just... blah.

DMC3 was great, yes, but DMC4 was still way better than 2. 2 killed the series, 3 brought it back from the dead. Making it a zombie.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:22:42 PM PST
Lat says:
RE4 was a great game on it's own, but sadly it was the game that started Resident Evil's downward spiral by betraying the fans who had been with the games since day one, and selling out to a more "mainstream" crowd by mutating their games into the terrible, s***y games that RE5 and 6 were.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 8:23:40 PM PST
Joshua C says:
The new engine was better than the crappy turn/walk system of 1-3 though
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  139
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions