Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Spike Lee Outraged over Django Unchained

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 214 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:28:08 PM PST
Spike Lee gets mad about anything racial he can get mad about, always has and always will. That's just how he is. He's always had beef with Tarantino, I imagine there is a hint of jealousy over his success. I say go see it before you judge it.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:49:36 PM PST
This is absolutely ridiculous and part of the reason why racism just won't go the hell away in the US. At no point, from what I've seen in the trailers, has slavery been glorified or anything like that. In fact this film is designed to showcase just how awful it truly was while telling the tale of one slave who managed to get revenge and take back what was rightfully his. This is by no means disrespectful to those who were involved with slavery.

Also comparing slavery to the Holocaust is just plain wrong. The entire point behind the Holocaust was to completely wipe out the Jews along with anything and everything they stood. The point of slavery wasn't to wipe out the slaves because then there'd be no slavery and the whole point would be ruined. Yes slaves died, yes the whole ordeal was tragic, but at no point did slavery every get to the level that the Holocaust did. There were camps the size of cities built for no other purpose than to torture and kill the Jewish community.

And another thing, slaves during that time were being hunted down, captured, and sold by their own people! I don't think the Jewish community had such an issue during the Holocaust considering ALL OF THEM were being targeted.

I find this incredibly funny that he finds the subject of slavery touchy and disrespectful but had no qualms about making a film based on the "Son of Sam" murders from 1977 which family and friends of those victims are still alive today. Way to profit from death ya jerk!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:09:44 PM PST
Carlito says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:14:09 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I remember his outrage that the patriot focused on a white southern man and didn't make him a slave owner.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:31:54 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
I sort of doubt QT made this movie to tell "how it truly was" as this seems like another ethnic revenge fantasy similar to Inglorious Basterds. Also while intentions behind the Holocaust were more sinister, slavery happened over a much much longer period of time. They were both horribly tragic situations that, yes, I do sort of believe making a massively violent, yet "quirky" and "funny" action movie about is distasteful. Maybe I don't feel as strongly about it as Spike Lee because I typically just pretend Tarantino doesn't exist, but I certainly feel it's not in good taste to make this kind of movie about this kind of subject.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:39:49 PM PST
Anthony says:
Spike Lee isn't dead yet? seriously, i just find the dude annoying.

oh, and this is from a guy who at the moment has no desire to see the movie. because i don't like westerns. and comparing slavery to the holocaust IS insulting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:42:35 PM PST
Anthony says:
"he told my dad he was"

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 2:44:05 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:49:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 2:49:49 PM PST
Anthony says:
you don't see native americans b*tching every time a movie remotely connected to their past is made, do you? and entire tribes were enslaved and/or wiped out after the europeans came.

honestly, IMO, Spike Lee and people like him, regardless of race or ethnicity, are just whiny little *****es that need to get the **** over themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:50:08 PM PST
What are you talking about? He goes too far regularly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:52:07 PM PST
The Jewish Holocaust: repeated regularly over the course of many thousands of years.

There, fixed it for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:53:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 2:54:45 PM PST
SuperHiro says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 2:58:08 PM PST
D_Strasse says:
Lee simply has a chip on his shoulder, some people do but he's got the microphone to let others know about it.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 2:58:53 PM PST
There's no doubt that American slavery was terrible. That said, no matter how long it lasted, it absolutely is not comparable to _attempted continent-wide genocide_, and any attempt to equate the two is deluded.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:03:45 PM PST
Anthony says:
speaking for myself, as 1/4 apache, i don't give a ****.

and as for "A tragedy is a tragedy. Yours doesn't have to be the "most tragic" in order for you to gain the ability to be upset about it"

did you not read:

"honestly, IMO, Spike Lee and people like him, regardless of race or ethnicity, are just whiny little *****es that need to get the **** over themselves."?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:04:04 PM PST
Anthony says:
agreed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:06:03 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Just because you don't care doesn't make people that do whiny people that need to get over themselves. Does that make sense to you?

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 3:07:31 PM PST
Ireland dominated and abused by England for nearly a millennia... I'm horribly offended every time I see British tv being broadcast on US channels.

And that's why all the griping about past wrongs is just annoying, lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:07:53 PM PST
I remember when Spike Lee spoke at my college and he wouldn't shake the hands of white students. I don't really think he should be an authority on racial sensitivity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:09:09 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Come on, that's just a silly and nowhere near relevant example.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:09:57 PM PST
Anthony says:
I should also point out i'm 1/4 Irish as well, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:11:36 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 24, 2012 3:11:44 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:13:49 PM PST
Lol, yeah... All I can think about on this thread is the scene from PCU where members of the various groups are on line to get into a party, and they're all making the case of how they were the most abused group in history... Pretty funny :)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 3:52:53 PM PST
"My Ancestors Are Slaves. Stolen From Africa. I Will Honor Them."

...like the way he honors them by making movies that play to black stereotypes?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 4:04:41 PM PST
Black stereotypes are fundamental black culture when they're being referenced by the kind of black man who feels like he's speaking on behalf of all black men, didn't you know? It's only offensive stereotypes when anybody else (including other black men) reference them.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions