Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 601-625 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:27:25 AM PST
"harming people is bad BECAUSE"

I don't have time to debate "BECAUSE". While people debate "BECAUSE" the world (or rather the people in it) circles the drain one more time.

"If it's that simple to you, so be it. But that kind of thinking makes debate completely worthless."

I would not say completely worthless. Everything has some worth, but that is another thread entirely.

"On the other hand, you say that harming others is wrong, that it just is wrong. You're acting as if YOU are God. Again, somebody else can come and say that harming others is a good thing because it makes them feel good. What is your argument against this?"

Why should I argue with them? If some guy comes along and says bombs are food, what good would it do to argue with them. Bombs are not food. And harming people is not good.

That's the problem with the "that's just your opinion" arguments. Not all opinions are equal. I will not debate the facts. I'm not talking about the facts as I see them, which are not facts at all, but the facts: reality. Pain is reality. Suffering is reality. I'm still awaiting your report on the effects of punching oneself in the nuts. There's no arguing about that. Do it and you'll see.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:28:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 10:37:08 AM PST
Disregard the truth argument, it's not happening.

"the Bible clearly says that there are some people who do want to be ignorant "

"I'm just saying that turning people away from the message is not automatically a bad thing"

Seeing as how you are not god, nor omniscient - Can you decipher as to how you *know* that turning a particular person away is not a bad thing? Since you cannot fully know either way then you must admit that there is at least a possibility that your approach may be too brash.

You've basically went from saying "People who don't agree with what I've said want to be ignorant" to "People who don't agree with me probably want to be ignorant, so I don't worry". Neither is different from one another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:31:14 AM PST
"You're acting as if YOU are God"

Air ball. But if you mean I am the God of my own choices, I'd agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:38:51 AM PST
Banner says:
??? Have you ever read the law? Does it seem moral to you? I know y'all must have been over this at least. And why does does God create people and not choose them? Why does he have a chosen people? And, are they still the chosen?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:39:56 AM PST
Nightmare says:
Bombs are clearly not food by definition. Bombs are not fit for consumption, are not nutritious, and are actually bad for you. Definitionally speaking, that is clearly ridiculous for anyone to argue that bombs are food.

On the other hand, morality is a lot harder to define. How do you define morality? You apparently think that it's a fact that pain is a bad thing, and therefore immoral? Correct? So what does morality even mean to you?

Again, pain is not wrong in and of itself. Otherwise Football would be wrong, because a lot of people get hurt playing the game. How do you define "wrong?"

"Seeing as how you are not god, nor omniscient - Can you decipher as to how you *know* that turning a particular person away is not a bad thing? If you cannot know fully that it is then you must admit that there is at least a possibility that your approach may be too brash.

You've basically traveled from saying "People who don't agree with what I've said want to be ignorant" to "People who don't agree with me may want to be ignorant, so I don't worry". Neither is very different from one another."

I never said that people who don't agree with me are ignorant. And I didn't say the second part either. You misinterpret and misread my posts like a champ. All I was saying was that since the Bible says what it does about letting people be ignorant if they so choose, it's clear that the Bible (and therefore God) accepts that some people will turn away in spite of the evidence. Therefore, if my words turn people away, that is not intrinsically bad according to the Bible.

As far as whether or not I am being to harsh, and therefore morally liable for unreasonably turning people away, I think that's clearly not the case. I haven't been rude, mean, or negative in my posts (although others have been towards me). That being the case, I don't see how I'm being harsh at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:43:48 AM PST
"it's clear that the Bible (and therefore God) accepts that some people will turn away in spite of the evidence."

To be fair though, there is virtually no evidence of God.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:45:50 AM PST
Banner says:
Yes, that's why it's called faith. It's interesting that people forget that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:46:58 AM PST
Indeed, I'm not sure why "evidence" keeps getting mixed into the discussion. You're supposed to believe in spite of the lack of evidence, it makes your belief more magical.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:47:44 AM PST
"Again, pain is not wrong in and of itself. Otherwise Football would be wrong, because a lot of people get hurt playing the game. How do you define "wrong?""

Things are not so clear cut. Football is right, because it brings fans joy, and players a livelihood. It is wrong because it is causing an epidemic in dementia in retired players.

You don't have to define wrong. You don't have to define anything. It is what it is. I'm not saying it is so simple as all that, I'm saying you are making it more complicated that it needs to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:48:03 AM PST
It's called faith because there is no rational reason to believe in any god. That's why the Flying Spaghetti Monster theory is just as valid as the words contained in the bible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:49:57 AM PST
Banner says:
Exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:54:23 AM PST
Oh. Well that was no fun. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:55:47 AM PST
Banner says:
Isn't that pretty much what I said? Oh you said rational.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:56:10 AM PST
Nightmare says:
I have read the law, and again, from a Christian perspective it is moral by default because God gave this code of morals to the Jews.

God created people, and people turned against him. As things became progressively worse, God decided that he would choose a people to be His, and to be a sign to the other nations. They were blessed above all other nations, so much that some Gentiles would flee to them as slaves just because they were more blessed than the Gentile nations. They served as a light to guide the rest of humanity who could be proselytized into their blessings if they wanted to.

Yes, they are still His chosen people from what I understand. Even after Gentile salvation through faith came in the New Testament, Paul (the Apostle to the Gentiles) would go the Jews first because they still hold that special place with God.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 10:59:14 AM PST
Banner says:
But the code changed. So god changes his mind. Obviously.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:00:03 AM PST
Banner says:
And you still didn't answer my question. Does the law seem moral to you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:00:53 AM PST
Nightmare says:
Technically, you're right. I would argue that nature is evidence that God exists, but that doesn't get to saying that the God of the Bible exists. And that's one reason why I'm not trying to argue that the Bible is the truth. That would be a more philosophical discussion than even this has been, and would take a great deal more time.

"Things are not so clear cut. Football is right, because it brings fans joy, and players a livelihood. It is wrong because it is causing an epidemic in dementia in retired players.

You don't have to define wrong. You don't have to define anything. It is what it is. I'm not saying it is so simple as all that, I'm saying you are making it more complicated that it needs to be."

If we can't even define wrong, then we can't say what is and isn't wrong. Otherwise I can say that killing people is "poiwelkclkjadf" and you can't contradict it because I don't define it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:04:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:05:08 AM PST
Nightmare says:
God didn't change his mind there. Where much is given, much is required. The Jews were given much, and much was required of them (the Law). However, we are given less, and therefore less is required of us.

"And you still didn't answer my question. Does the law seem moral to you?"

The law, for the Jews at the time, was moral. Why? Because they were given more than anybody else. They had the most direct contact with God, they witnessed the miracles He bestowed upon them, etc., so they knew without a doubt that God was who He said He was. Because they had this knowledge, their standards were raised to a higher bar. So, yes, for these Jews who KNEW without a doubt that God existed, the law was moral.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:07:25 AM PST
I have to say Nightmare, the god you're talking about seems like a jerk.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:07:50 AM PST
Banner says:
It was little to do with what was given them. There is no medical reasons why a woman needs more recovery days postpartum depending on the sex. Etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:08:54 AM PST
Banner says:
And you personally think that leviticus has good laws? Important rules?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:10:52 AM PST
Hey hey hey, if a man lies with another man, their blood is upon them dammit! I saw it on the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:11:51 AM PST
"God created people, and people turned against him. As things became progressively worse, God decided that he would choose a people to be His, and to be a sign to the other nations."

So God's plan isn't unchanging and forever?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:12:32 AM PST
Nightmare says:
I think that God had good reasons for giving the Jews the laws He did. If they kept these laws, they were going to receive bountiful blessings. Most likely the extremity of the laws increased the bountifulness of the blessings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:12:34 AM PST
Banner says:
I can't believe you think the old law is a higher standard. I'm beginning to think that you have not read the law.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 4000 6 seconds ago
Overwatch discussion thread 1480 21 seconds ago
Just started Bloodborne 22 32 seconds ago
OT:My co-worker just said "There are no such things as "Muslim-Americans"" 10 40 seconds ago
Microsoft announces plans to murder Xbox Fitness 0 3 minutes ago
OT: Moving Out Of State Is Both Exciting And Annoying At The Same Time 57 4 minutes ago
The Top 10 FPS Games Of All Time (According To IGN) 5 5 minutes ago
Vita charging cradle $8 shipped 2 5 minutes ago
OT: Britain says "I'm out....So wish me luck." to the EU 360 5 minutes ago
OT: Conservatives Hurt the Economy Once Again: Global stocks tumble after Britain votes to leave the EU 45 6 minutes ago
Article: Things Are Starting To Look A Bit Grim For Sony's PlayStation VR 29 10 minutes ago
The Witcher - Leveling 33 10 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions