Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: R.I.P. Twinkies and Wonder Bread - Hostess closes its doors, lays off 18,500 employees

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 186 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:01:33 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Right, and this union shutting down an 80 year old company is only going to be twisted to the Republican side so that they can attempt to do the same in other states, while forgetting that the Teamsters struck a deal with Hostess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:02:06 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Except that most Hostess items are made with high fructose corn syrup.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:03:02 AM PST
Cyaneed says:
If the company is going under.... take the pay cut, THEN go look for another job while you still have a job. Now with 18,000 people with the same "cream filling" talents as you will all be looking for a job at the same time . Smart .

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:05:16 AM PST
Like a shadow I was ninja'd you from nowhere!

@ Soulshine

Regardless of what happened in the past Hostess never came close to shutting down like this, they even made a public announcement earlier this week that if the workers didn't come back to work they would close down entirely. Now I don't pay that close attention to the news but something like this definitely would have caught my attention if Hostess had ever talked about shutting down before (if it has then I'm behind on my info and apologize). I just don't understand the thought process behind Hostess publicly announcing they will close at the end of the week and the Union stuck to their guns.

Now their finances weren't public information because they are a privately traded company but they still have to seek funding and credit lines from banks and other loan companies, which would be reading this information and this information isn't going to spur on confidence to allow them access to more money to stay afloat. Anyone with half a brain could have looked at the announcement from earlier this week and realized Hostess wasn't bluffing.

Even if Hostess was in the wrong before the Union screwed them on this one and they saw it coming from a mile away.

You don't stand on the railroad tracks playing chicken with a train and except the train to veer at the last second. That's what the Union did here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:08:10 AM PST
LogJam says:
I was banking on someone pointing out that wheat is an ingredient they use, so I could make some 'stalk' and 'whey' puns. Dammit Fox, now I have to rethink my whole joke structure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:18:26 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I don't know all the details either, just that this isn't the first time Hostess was in bankruptcy court. And apparently the union agreed to pay cuts at the last contract negotiation in 2008.

I totally agree that the workers on strike should have seen this coming. I just don't think of it as calling management's bluff. There's a Hostess bakery in my city and this was a breaking news story this morning. They were interviewing guys on strike and nobody seems shocked that this happened. One guy was disappointed that the bakery would be closing but relieved that there was finally a decision and the whole thing was over.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:24:54 AM PST
http://i.imgur.com/q9jj0.jpg

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:26:40 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Go go gadget: Unions!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:26:43 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
LOL, sorry. XD

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:26:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:46:44 AM PST
But what about "CRACKER JACKED"....Caffeine infused Cracker Jacks---- I know...my bad..."Cracker Jacked" have nothing at all to do with this Twinkies discussion....

I just heard about em Sooo i thought i'd mention em in conjunction with the Twinkie discussion!!!....I think i might try em...

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:34:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:34:32 AM PST
Kr155 says:
I was reading that hostess had something like 8 CEOs in the last 6 years. and have been getting passed around to different venture capitolist firms like a football. I can completely understand workers frustrations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:37:21 AM PST
Xavier 7 says:
Not right. Everyone knows the nastier, and more unhealthy the junk food, the better it is.

It is a paradox, but a very delicious paradox.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:39:19 AM PST
Meatwad says:
:(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:42:10 AM PST
"They were interviewing guys on strike and nobody seems shocked that this happened. One guy was disappointed that the bakery would be closing but relieved that there was finally a decision and the whole thing was over."

That's horrible to hear in my opinion because an entire company just went under and over 18,000 people are out of a job now but hey at least we can put this whole mess behind us right? Contract negotiation from 2008? We're at the end of 2012 and a lot has happened over the last four years. I dunno I'm just blown away that these people weren't more willing to work with Hostess to keep their jobs and keep the company afloat.

Hope it was worth it to them.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:00:10 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Its going to be weird walking by the bread isle and not seeing Wonderbread anymore.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:00:50 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Hostess closing down completely started with Hostess' own error in management but ultimately ended with the worker's idiocy. Both were to blame.

If I was working there I sure as hell would be annoyed with the company with them not managing their business properly and lowering my wages. Striking would make sense in a union. After Hostess clearly stated that they would be closing down if they couldn't get enough workers to keep production, WHY KEEP STRIKING!?!? I would rather work for less money and look for another job at the same time than just stop working and be out of a job completely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:05:44 AM PST
Wow way to ruin my morning, or maybe my week...does this mean ho-hos will become collectors items? Should I stock up now and fill my freezer to the brim with delicious love?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:10:05 AM PST
Xavier 7 says:
I actually just got back from the gas station making a run on two boxes of Donettes and some Chocodiles. Thanks stupid union.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:19:48 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
Damn it! No more Chocodiles.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:32:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:48:23 AM PST
I don't believe it!!!....They'll come up with a stay of execution at the eleventh hour!!! You just wait n see!!! Twink*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:37:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:37:38 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"after one of its unions refused to end a strike even after being warned it would kill the company."

I can't stand unions because of bullshit like this. And look where it got those who were striking...jobless. I hope they're happy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:40:57 AM PST
Yeah, let's strike til the company closes it's doors, that will work!! Wait a second...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:49:23 AM PST
SMH says:
I've never had one and have actually never even seen anyone else eating one. Are twinkies even real???

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:51:35 AM PST
Jon says:
Only if they're deep fried.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:51:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:07:22 AM PST
There is nothing in This world like a sweet sweet Twinkie treat...with that white cream filling!!!...I like to stick my tongue inside to lick out all the cream first...then i eat it......Sooo yummy!!!

Ooh I'll miss the Orange Snowballs most!!! *sigh*

*TWINKIES TRAVESTY*....

Damn..I didn't know Hostess was made in the Bay State...I don't even know why they call this the Bay State!!!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: Her bewbs may not be much to write home about, but she gives one great Amazon Monkeybar 9439 1 minute ago
UH OH! Is Something Strange Brewing At Microsoft? Xbox One Future In Jeopardy? 19 2 minutes ago
Best Buy has B1G1 on first party Nintendo 3DS games next week! 11 11 minutes ago
Microsoft CEO talks about selling off Xbox brand 108 20 minutes ago
Report: PC gaming hardware worth $21.5bn -twice that of console market 5 21 minutes ago
VGF "12 in 12" thread. A dozen games. 12 months. Time to step up. 534 26 minutes ago
Tomonobu Itagaki Feels Gamers will go out and Buy a Wii U for Devil's Third 46 39 minutes ago
Grand Strategy fans... 14 51 minutes ago
Clueless Gamer: Conan Reviews "Super Smash Bros." 0 1 hour ago
NeoGaf: Once Hyped Games That Are Now Completely Forgotten 104 1 hour ago
PS4 Auto Eject Again 23 1 hour ago
Original Alien case reunite for Alien: Isolation DLC 34 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  186
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions