Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Final Fantasy 13

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 22, 2012 9:16:58 AM PDT
I started playing FF13 last week and I am struggling to get into it. 6 hours in and I've seen probably half of that in cutscenes. A lot of whining and grunting. I am now at the Odin battle, and he has assaulted me so hard that I am close to giving up.

So my question is, does it get better? I really want to like the game. The visuals are cool and the characters are interesting (except Hope). I'm just having a hard time getting into the story when every 5 minutes I do a couple of battles then long cutscene.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:21:58 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Apparently the game doesn't get good, gameplay wise, until chapter 12 or 13. That is when you get the open area and it seems more like a FF game. Gameplay wise FF XIII-2 is much better, from what I've heard. So you can either stick it out until almost the end of the game, or just start playing XIII-2 and youtube the ending of XIII.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:23:01 AM PDT
Ice King says:
I would say no, it doesn't. The cutscenes decrease and you eventually end up in a place where you can roam around and complete different missions but after that it's back to the same old routine until the end.

I really want to like this game too and wish I did so I could have been excited about FFXIII-2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:23:22 AM PDT
And as soon as it gets good... it ends.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:23:49 AM PDT
I'm stuck at the Odin battle as well. Just kind of gave up at that point.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:27:20 AM PDT
Yeah Odin is giving me a terrible spanking. I know I got to do an auto chain or something on him but I barely have time to set up my moves before he lays the hammer down on me.

Thanks for the replies. I may give it a bit more time but I think this one may go to the trade pile.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:29:05 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Final Fantasy XIII is loved by many and hated by many more.
Personally, I loved every minute of the game. I thought it had great characters, an interesting story and one of the best battle systems ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:29:21 AM PDT
So my question is, does it get better?
No.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:32:57 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
I'm with Oskar2525. I enjoyed the game from the start. Yes it holds your hand for a long long time but it didn't ruin it for me.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:32:57 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 22, 2012 9:37:02 AM PDT
Joel H. says:
So you guys aren't enjoying it because Odin is hard? That's what makes the game great. Sometime your shifts equal win and sometimes your screw yourself. I found XIII and XIII-2 intense at times. One boss in FFXIII you fight for like 10min and then he can one shot lightning. Sort of dark souls logic right? You get your ass handed to you and then when you finally win you feel all gangsta? I just like the style of these games.. I say keep going.

Maybe shelf it for a few days. You won't get much for a trade-in. And while you clear your head, check out a youtube video or two to get some different ideas. It's not like this is portal 2. Doesn't count as cheating!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:35:36 AM PDT
Mrs. User says:
No, it doesn't. Well, there are less cutscenes but the gameplay stays more or less the same. Eventually you can change who's in your party, but that's about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:36:38 AM PDT
Meh, it's not that Odin is hard, it's that I tried everything the game is telling me to do and nothing was working. Kind of turned off the fun in the game.

Dark Souls is different. It doesn't use cheap gameplay to kill you. If you die in Dark Souls its because you, the player, made a mistake. Not because a random attack can instantly kill you and there is no way to dodge it.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:41:14 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
I loved every moment of that game, but I will say that it's all about walking down a corridor, fighting the enemies, just to get to a cutscene at the end. But I enjoyed the cutscenes. As an RPG, it's traditionally more about story and cutscenes than gameplay.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:41:57 AM PDT
Campy says:
Battle system aside (The battle system for FF13 made Chrono Cross' *and* Unlimited SaGa's battle systems seem like they ever made sense) the story was so meh...I just...meh. 7 hours in. According to Penny Arcade, I was only 1/5th into the tutorial. Lulz.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 22, 2012 9:44:00 AM PDT
Joel H. says:
I hear you. This game could have been called Tortoise. Because a SEN SEN SEN paradigm is essential at points. I'd suggest mapping it close to.. iono whatever your muscle memory is telling you because it's gotta be quick. I don't really remember how the avatars are used but I remember them being helpful in some fights. RAV RAV RAV to stagger and then balls to the wall COM COM COM. But ya controllers were thrown.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 9:47:50 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
If you don't like it by now, you won't ever like it, just move on.

Sorry dude.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 10:01:58 AM PDT
klopas says:
I feel inspired to finish FFXIII now. I'm about halfway through but I haven't played in months.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 11:10:56 AM PDT
klopas says:
I started playing this again yesterday after 2+ months of not playing and I'm in Chapter 9, and I'm awesome at this game. I'm better at FFXIII now then when I played months ago. How can this be?!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 11:14:41 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
When you get stuck at a part, it's always best to walk away instead of trying to rage through it. 9 times out of 10 you'll find that just taking a break and going back will give you a new perspective and you'll be able to beat a part that may have had you stuck. Not saying you were stuck, but I'm sure the same principle is happening here.

Posted on Mar 23, 2012 11:14:44 AM PDT
I still don't get why people say that area (pulse) is any good. The missions are stupid... all of the amount to "go kill this mob". There is no side story, special weapons, or rewards. It's just as "good" as the rest of the game...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 11:18:09 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
I think it's just because you finally have some sort of freedom at that point, though I definitely agree with you there. Just like people think having a world map to walk around on makes an RPG open and not linear, even though you still have to do things in a certain order.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 11:22:41 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Dude, I don't have to do things in order. I can totally skip Fort Condor and go RIGHT to Junon!

/sarcasm

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 11:23:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 23, 2012 11:26:16 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
I don't get it either, I thought it was amazing looking, and felt so full of life; which was cool; but I enjoyed the game from start to finish, I didn't really think it was any better or worse than the rest of the game.

I really did enjoy the missions though, but I did most of them postgame.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:27:57 PM PST
Glad to see a thread for this. I love this game a lot. I've had it for over a year now but i just recently got back into it. I have to admit that it was too complicated for me at first, thats why i put it aside for so long and bought Skyrim instead :)

So im currently on chapter 9 with Sazh and Vanille. I beat Odin who is now my eidolon, so as the shiva sisters (with snow) and another one i havent used yet with Sazh. I do have a lot of questions but for now, i guess i need to know if someone knows how to switch weapons. I know it sounds stupid but i havent figured that one yet, it seems i cant do this from the menu options...

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 4:07:16 PM PST
Subject7 says:
Menu -> Equipment -> Equip -> Weapon

Actually it does get better once everyone stops whining and the combat system finally clicks. I strongly advise against putting it down as it may take you a while to get back into it, maybe even forcing you to restart (!). Stick with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Mar 22, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions