Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Undisputable proof that Wii U is d00m3d

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 1:30:21 AM PST
http://www.product-reviews.net/2012/11/09/wii-us-gigantic-power-block-isnt-cool/

You have probably seen plenty of Nintendo Wii U unboxing videos in the past, but perhaps you haven't seen one as good as this. Nintendo's very own CEO Satoru Iwata has decided to do the honors himself, unboxing the Wii U premium pack for the very first time.

This isn't an unboxing video as such, but rather an `unboxing ceremony' as dubbed by the great man himself. Available from November 18, the Premium Pack will offer a lot more than what the Basic Wii U package brings you, for a higher price of $349. Although it has to be said that the list of extras are not great, Nintendo will be throwing in 32GB of internal storage, stands for the GamePad and console, a subscription to Nintendo Network and a copy of Nintendo Land.

Iwata has decided to provide a humorous, but still very professional insight into what you'll be exactly getting with the premium console and we only wish that Sony and Microsoft do something like this when revealing their next-gen PS4 and Xbox 720 consoles - imagine an unboxing video with Kevin Butler (if he's still available).

Apart from the fun and games from Iwata, there isn't really too much excitement on offer here, but there is one fairly big talking point that may alarm you. You would think that one of the priorities for Nintendo, would be to reduce the size of the power pack from the Wii, to the Wii U.

However, it appears that they have done the opposite, as you'll see in the video that the console requires a gigantic power block, which really does no favors to the overall style of the console. We're sure we speak for many gamers in saying that a big grey power block wasn't really supposed to be a talking point about the Wii U, and although some of you may say that it doesn't really matter - we think it does.

If smartphones are cutting back on size and weight on each release, why can't we see the same with Nintendo's big power blocks? There's even a fairly sizable second power block, which is required for the GamePad as well. Watch the video for yourself and let us know if we have got it all wrong here.

Do you have a problem with the big power block or not? We really do love this style of unboxing though - let's hope Nintendo keeps up the tradition with new hardware releases.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:37:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:37:49 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
it won't be doomed as long as millions of people are willing to pay the price for it. even if it is above $300, people will buy it anyway. just like people are willing to pay $600 for an iphone and $400 - $700 for the PS3 when it first came out.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:43:54 AM PST
I'm sorry but the idiotic product reviewer is complaining about the size power block then what about the Xbox 360 one?,it's not exactly a little power block. That's why I can't take any of these game magazine or any magazine writer seriously since apparently they don't know anything about the product/person/subject they're writing about in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:06:52 AM PST
Matt says:
Personally I love the look of the Wii U console, it looks stylish, and to be honest, the power block will be out of the way anyway so the size of it, means absolutely nothing. As long as it operates normally, I'm entirely happy. It won't affect my Wii U pre order in the least.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:19:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 3:21:11 AM PST
Exactly,while I'll probably wait until January or February at the earliest to get the Wii U. I was tempted at first to do a pre order but I have enough games to pass the time until we start the new year. Though the Wii U game ZombieU looks pretty hardcore enough to tempt fans of the Xbox 360 and PS3 to get one too I think.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:36:45 AM PST
Pixiegirl19 says:
No problem, that WiiU power block will tuck away right where the xbox 360's block is.(looking forward to a 720 and ps4, as long as M$ gets Blu-ray[hopefully], and both have backwards compatibility. I don't want 6 consoles in my living room, and these next gen games will take 20+GB' s to support graphics and 7.1 digital surround
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa595a444)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions