Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Watch out, Xbox 360: Here comes the PlayStation 3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 10:23:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:50:30 PM PST
Waldo says:
A better article I found: Posted November 16, 2012 10:03 AM PST.

The PlayStation 3 is about one month behind Microsoft in terms of overall sales worldwide.

Despite getting off to a slow start and being called into a question as a viable purchase option, the PlayStation 3 might just take the second spot in console sales after this generation is up.

Earlier today, Sony announced that it has sold 70 million PlayStation 3 units worldwide since the console's launch in 2006. The device hit that tally on November 4, meaning it's somewhere above the 70-million-units mark at this point.

Sony is now in striking distance of Microsoft. The software giant announced that as of September 30, it has sold 70 million Xbox 360 units worldwide. The Xbox 360 launched globally in November 2005 -- a year before the PlayStation 3.

That Sony is close to Microsoft really isn't the most impressive aspect of this story; it's that Microsoft will likely end up in third place behind the Nintendo Wii and Sony's PlayStation 3.

According to Sony's internal unit sales chart, the company is selling about 13 million to 14 million PlayStation 3 units each year. During its 2010 fiscal year ended March 31, 2011, it sold 14.3 million console units. During the fiscal year ended March 31, 2012, total sales hit 13.9 million. So far this year, Sony has sold 6.3 million PlayStation 3 units, putting it on pace to come close to last year's figure.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is selling fewer units. In fact, over the last year, the company has sold just over 12 million Xbox units. So far in 2012, Microsoft has sold a little more than 4 million units. Assuming that trajectory and Sony's sales both continue on the same path, it won't be long before worldwide PlayStation 3 sales outpace those of the Xbox 360.

That might come as a surprise to those who have been following research firm NPD's monthly game industry sales announcements. Earlier this month, NPD revealed that for October -- and for the 22nd month in a row -- Microsoft's Xbox 360 sales outpaced all other consoles. Microsoft announced that it sold 270,000 units in October and held 56 percent of the current-generation console sales during the month.

However, NPD's data accounts only for U.S.-based sales. And here in the States, the Xbox 360 is the dominant console. Worldwide, it's a much different story. For years now, we've been hearing that the Xbox 360 collects dust on Japanese store shelves. Meanwhile, the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii continue to find their way into Japanese homes.

Last year, gaming site Eurogamer examined Japanese sales data. The site found that as of April 1, 2011, the Wii's total life-to-date sales in Japan added up to 11.5 million units. The PlayStation 3 had 6.3 million unit sales. The Xbox 360 had sold only 1.4 million units in Japan at that point. By summer 2012, Xbox 360 sales in Japan had reached only about 1.5 million units.

Microsoft has always had some trouble attracting Japanese customers. Some say it's because the Xbox 360 is too large for entertainment centers that are typically smaller in Japan. Others blame it on the Xbox 360's game library, which lacks many of the unique titles Japanese consumers are after. Whatever the case, it's clear Microsoft has an issue in Japan and other parts of Asia.

When the PlayStation 3 launched, it was largely ignored by anyone but early adopters, because of its ridiculously high starting price of $499. It took Sony years to bring the price down to more consumer-friendly levels. The company also worked on its online services to improve its value proposition to the hardcore gamer. The result? Stronger sales.

Still, even when Sony surpasses Microsoft, the company will have a long way to go to catch Nintendo. At the end of September, the Mario maker had sold 97 million Wii units worldwide since that console's launch in 2006.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57551097-235/watch-out-xbox-360-here-comes-the-playstation-3/

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:29:58 PM PST
Prankster says:
So, tell me, how does this affect you? What change has it brought to your daily life? Just askin'.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:30:37 PM PST
You know, this doesn't matter at all.

The PS3 sold well, the 360 sold well, neither sold as well as the Wii. The PS3 has a problem in the U.S., the 360 has a problem in Japan.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:32:16 PM PST
They all sold well? This can't be, the numbers, I mean, they must be wrong..

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:33:07 PM PST
Waldo says:
With your Id name being Prankster, you question doesn't even deserve an answer! This is just for all the Xbox trolls and their anti-Sony hate posts that they continuously post! Something for them to read and enjoy. I cater to the masses. :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:34:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:57:09 PM PST
The article is not correct, however. Sony claimed that they have *shipped* 70m PS3s worldwide (c.f. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-16-70-million-ps3-units-shipped-worldwide )

Microsoft claims that they *sold* 70m 360s, as of September 30th 2012.

The difference between the "sold" number and the "shipped" number is the number that currently sit in warehouses, store shelves, on trucks, boats, or planes in transit, etc. Considering that retailers stocked up for holiday shopping season, the difference between "shipped" and "sold" is likely currently close to a local maximum.

I mean, all the PS3s currently on shelves are likely to sell, but you can say the same about the 360s on shelves. We have no idea what Microsoft's current shipped number is either. Last year they made their big push at holiday.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:34:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:47:26 PM PST
Waldo says:
Their all great systems, each console has their OWN exclusive I love and enjoy! If your a true gamer no one should be a hater against any game or console to begin with!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:38:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:43:06 PM PST
Waldo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:42:12 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Oh Jesus, I will bite. Allah help me, but I am bored: I have noticed that your posts have the same exact theme, and that is "righteous anger." Every thread you wail about the so-called anti-PS3 posts and how this place is populated by X-bots (conveniently ignoring the fact that more people here own the PS3 than they do the 360).

First of all you need to relax. I mean really calm down. There is no anti-PS3 bias. Only a few loud Xbots who rant and rave and are made fun of. There are the same amount of Sonymites who are made fun of too. Therefore, the majority of us (believe it or not) are actually just gamers and don't give a crap about which sold more and which console is better etc. In fact most of us are laughing at you right now. The reason that we post anti-Sony/MS stuff because it is fun and we like to go after one another....

You are slowly becoming the next Flores or Facelord....You don't want that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:45:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:49:51 PM PST
Umm... that article is dated "Fri 16 Nov 2012 7:51am GMT" which means it is less than 24 hours old. If that's outdated, you are on an unreasonable news cycle. I didn't save it on my desktop, I just read that news site (it's excellent and professional) and I remember reading that article (among many others, but that was the topical one).

Also the readers of "Gamesindustry International" are among the people most likely to be aware of, and care about the distinction between sold and shipped. Much more so than CNET.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:46:55 PM PST
Waldo says:
What part of my previous post of: "Their all great systems, each console has their OWN exclusive I love and enjoy! If your a true gamer no one should be a hater against any game or console to begin with.', confused you the most, thinking I'm all up in arms about something?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:49:34 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I am not sure if you are responding to me:

Go back and read your other posts. Then right when DVvM contradicts you, you get all fired up. It is okay to admit that you are a Sony fan. Don't make all these pro-Sony threads and posts and then claim that you are reasonable.

Besides, I have been around long enough to know that DV is right nearly all the time....In face I am intimidated by him/her.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:50:05 PM PST
Waldo says:
Hmm, awesome, the Cnet article is also dated the same date: November 16, 2012 10:03 AM PST.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:52:22 PM PST
Waldo says:
I'm a Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft fan. Sorry it's so hard for you to believe that. I'm not hating on any console!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:53:59 PM PST
Yes, and which publication do you trust more to get a minor technical detail about the video games industry correct?

"GamesIndustry International" which touts itself as "The world's leading games industry website."

-OR-

C|net which is "a tech media website that publishes news, articles, blogs, and podcasts on technology and consumer electronics"

Serious question.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:54:40 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Then if you are not "hating" on a console. Don't pick a fight with DV or a damn date on an article and stop posting biased nonsense. If you notice, so far, no one has come to the defense of you or the article. Also, this has already been posted earlier today.

Therefore I hereby brand you as a Sonymite. And no you can never shed that label: Embrace it or die.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:57:48 PM PST
Waldo says:
Repent for your SINS!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:58:07 PM PST
Prankster says:
"A better article I found"

This means this isn't the first one. This is the problem, you see - people have to start realizing that no one is a hero for combating the trolls. It just makes you another troll. You aren't doing anything different. Sure you can mask it by saying 'I love all 3 consoles and I own them all' but it doesn't really fool anyone.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:58:53 PM PST
Waldo says:
Jesus love you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 1:10:45 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
The only way ms would have a number on 360s sold to consumer would be if they were paid on each sale a store made instead of selling them wholesale to a store which Sony does. There is no way they could have accurate sales data if this wasn't the case.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:08:03 AM PST
Nicos says:
Here comes Sony Boo Boo child! "A dolla makes me holla!"

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:48:15 AM PST
Waldo says:
Work it Biiiiiiatch!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:53:20 AM PST
For somebody who questioned why people care about sales so much he certainly spends a lot of effort talking about PS3 sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 3:54:42 AM PST
Outdated? It was dated November 16th, just like yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 5:06:38 AM PST
Harmicky says:
This post was so beautiful I shed a tear. You keep the VGF streets clean and safe, duke.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions