Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PSA: Don't buy Shinobi or Populous on the App Store

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 3:59:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 3:59:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
So, I know that a few people are App Store gamers here, and two well known, graphically impressive games were just released: Populous and Shinobi. Unfortunately they are from a scammer that got through Apple's, apparently lame, verification process. When you download either of these games instead of creating a world or getting some bad ass ninja slaying action, you get some lame game where you have to help get a frog into water or something. You can also tell that these games aren't what they are supposed to be because the Shinobi screens are PS2 screen grabs and the sizes for both games combined don't total up to 10mb.

This developer has already had 1 game removed from the app store.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:03:24 AM PST
Emily Sedai says:
Grr... used to like Populous years ago.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:06:55 AM PST
JWK says:
I'd like to add to this PSA. EA is currently having a $1 sale on most of their games. I bought NBA Jam last night thinking, "I LOOOOOVED NBA Jam On Fire Edition. This will be awesome to have on the go." The controls aren't too bad, but the framerate clocks in at about 5 to 10 frames per second. It's basically unplayable.

I know it's just a dollar. But it's a little disheartening to pay for and download a game only to delete it a few minutes later.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:11:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:15:32 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Also a Halo 4 game just went live that looks like a scam as well. Apple seems to be seriously dropping the ball here.

According to the reviews, Halo 4 is actually a chess game. The scammer managed to get 200 5 star votes though.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:13:04 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Populous was fun back in the day! Funny that Peter Molyneux was the man behind it.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:14:10 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Shinobi was one of my favorite games as a kid. I probably would have bought it if I had seen it in the App Store before your post. This is sad news. Thanks for the heads-up Fox.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:20:11 AM PST
PSA: Don't buy games from the App Store because 99.9999% of the time they are trash.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:26:42 AM PST
Emily Sedai says:
Lol, that's one of my general gaming regrets... on the first one, always managed to play through a few levels, and then it would fall by the wayside... always mean to go back and make a serious effort at converting the non-believers... into radioactive vapor!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:51:06 AM PST
Junkiiiii says:
Really? What are you playing Jam on? I have it for my iPhone 4 and it plays just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:00:18 AM PST
I have jam for my Ipad mini and it worked great last night!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:06:00 AM PST
JWK says:
My iPad 2. I wonder if it plays better on my wife's iPhone 4. I'll check and let you know... but yeah. The framerate on the pad is awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:52:40 AM PST
This happens occasionally. Apple's verification process, as near as I can tell, is run it through a machine and if no flags get raised, publish it.

They'll get removed soon enough, though. If there's one thing Apple is fairly good at, it's taking the scams down, even if they don't always keep them off in the first place.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions