Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: NYPD officer photographed giving boots to barefoot homeless man melts icy hearts online

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 8:27:38 AM PST
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/nypd-boots-homeless-man-photo-145219581.html

A photo of a New York City police officer kneeling down to give a barefoot homeless man in Times Square a pair of boots on a cold November night is melting even the iciest New Yorkers' hearts online.

On Nov. 14, NYPD officer Lawrence DePrimo, who was on counterterrorism duty in Times Square, saw the older homeless man without shoes sitting on 42nd Street. DePrimo, 25, left and then returned with a pair of $100 boots he bought at a nearby Skechers store.

"It was freezing out, and you could see the blisters on the man's feet," DePrimo, a three-year veteran of the department who lives with his parents on Long Island, told the New York Times. "I had two pairs of socks, and I was still cold."

The random act of kindness was captured by Jennifer Foster, a tourist from Florence, Ariz., who was visiting the city. Foster, communications director for the Pinal County Sheriff's Office in Arizona, emailed the photo to the NYPD with a note commending DePrimo.

"The officer said, 'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you,'" Foster wrote. "The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man.

"I have been in law enforcement for 17 years," she continued. "I was never so impressed in my life. ... It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost."

Foster's photo was posted on the NYPD's Facebook page on Tuesday, where it received more than 320,000 "likes," 77,000 "shares" and 20,000 comments-most of them praising DePrimo, who seems to have restored Facebook's faith in humanity.

"This is one hell of a police officer," Desiree Wright-Borden wrote.

"Wow," Jack Horton wrote. "It's nice to know there are still good people out there."

"Angels truly do walk on earth!!!" Charlene Hoffman-Pestell wrote.

Some commenters, though, were skeptical, saying the photo could have been staged.

"Clever stunt!" Louis Zehmke wrote. "The hobo is 'parked' at the entrance of a shoe shop."

But Foster claims DePrimo had no idea he was being photographed: "The officer expected NOTHING in return and did not know I was watching."

I just love feel good stories like this...it shows that not everyone is a complete donkey hole...MJM

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:30:18 AM PST
FOGE says:
You have gained Karma

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:34:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 8:36:12 AM PST
Ice King says:
I love reading stories like this.
But I feel a little bad that when I first read the subject I thought this was going to be about a cop giving homeless people THE boot, as in kicking them while they sleep or something.

In other inspiring news, my office has been doing a toy drive for about a week now and they've already collected about $10,000 worth of toys. The coolest thing is they're keeping them in the foyer so every time I go that way I get to see a pile of toys bigger than anything I've ever seen. And we've only just started.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:34:31 AM PST
Do I level up or anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:44:47 AM PST
That's awesome Ice King...keep up the good work and let the positive energy flow.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:45:31 AM PST
LogJam says:
Hey Lawrence DePrimo, how about you start countering terror you bleeding-heart liberal

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:46:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 8:47:20 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Did he melt their icy hearts with a cool island song?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:46:12 AM PST
WesCyde says:
Awesome story but seeing this is troubling "a three-year veteran of the department who "lives with his parents" on Long Island,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:51:50 AM PST
jtshiel says:
It's expensive to live in NYC

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:53:39 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
The homeless dude just happened to be sitting in front of a shoe store. I think it's just a P.R. stunt. The NY police department have been getting a lot of bad press for the policies on harassing people for no reason.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:56:31 AM PST
Chris94 says:
What a shock, a nypd officer not beating down a black man. Shocking.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:57:50 AM PST
John McClane says:
MJM thinks it's real so it must be fake.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:01:08 AM PST
We have a lot of cynical people here on the VGF...it's kind of funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:02:04 AM PST
FOGE says:
You get literally nothing, but people will like you and say nice things about you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:05:17 AM PST
Anthony says:
i admit it, i was expecting a story about police brutality when i clicked on this.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:09:07 AM PST
J. says:
I was expecting to read "the homeless man later traded the boots for a pack of American Spirits and a bottle of Strawberry Ripple."

And did dude really need $100 boots? Mine didn't even cost that much.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:09:20 AM PST
Really...okay I guess that will do...for now anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:09:25 AM PST
waxc3 says:
:)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:23:24 AM PST
At least there is one good cop doing his job to protect and to SERVE. Good man.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:28:59 AM PST
Voice of god says:
"And did dude really need $100 boots? Mine didn't even cost that much."

You don't want the other homeless guys at school making fun of him.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:32:18 AM PST
Now some other homeless dude is going to beat him down and take his shoes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions