Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PS3 problems after the 4.31 firmware update???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 20, 2013 4:11:02 AM PDT
The PS3 is d00med.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2013 11:56:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 9, 2013 2:43:11 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 9:48:27 PM PDT
Gary M. says:
I had an old ps3( manufactured 2007), today, june 19 2013, I tried to update it by going to playstation website and it crashed...blinking red light and cant turn it would shut itself..this is not a coincident but a deceptive move by recognized its serial number or the age of the system by its firmware and it send a virus or a bug via download to deactivate it somehow so that it will you would either sent it to them for fixing and they charge you a hefty fee or you just trash it and buy a new ps3... Either way they get your money is very malicious company..If I were you, I stay away from any sony brand...for example their dvd or bluray will not play copied disc...I suggest not to buy any sony brand..

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:32:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 1:37:17 PM PDT
bf says:
My sons 18m old PS3 320gb slim died last night. When battlefield3 game froze I restored HD but then the slim auto loaded firmware 4.31. HD is now corrupted and all restore options have failed. Big S offer a swap for a recon slim with a 3m warranty for £110. My main moan is Big S won't admit the 4.31 has caused any probs and the growing numbers of gamers reporting probs are incorrect. Consider ethier Big S is right and they are not at fault or they are incorrect and won't admit it. All I know is I don't believe anything they say anymore but I'm just an evil gamer!!!

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 9:16:26 PM PDT
Noble Seven says:
Well I had a problem that was not related to the latest system update. The problem is that I can't sign in to PSN without updating the system and as a bonus, the system can't update no matter how good my connection is. That led me to joining xbox live.

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 8:33:26 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
I've been running on 4.31 since Sly 4 came out (it was on the disc), haven't had any problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 8:33:20 AM PDT
You waited 5 months to update your PS3?

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 8:27:00 AM PDT
Same issue, updated to 4.31 and no longer can read discs

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 10:41:10 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Fat 80GB, updated with no problems

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 9:35:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2013 9:37:04 AM PST
Chad says:
160 slim freezes during gameplay after 4.31.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:49:24 PM PST
Dan Elam says:
I'm having same issues - after update can't read disks - any help ???

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 3:55:23 AM PST
kenis12000 says:
I have a ps3 fatty and it worked fine soon as the 4.31 update it started the exact same issue as {TheOrangeCrush}. I did all the safe mode stuff even opened cleaned the dust, blue ray, and new thermal paste. Still same thing but can play downloaded game no problem.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:58:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:01:56 PM PST
Well I am sad to say this but it appears that many of you who have had a problem reading the BluRay discs are probably going to have to get a new PS3 unless you are good with fixing machines. I tried everything, but finally ended up buying a new one. To test to see if it really was the BluRay, I put in a DVD and it worked fine. But BluRay movies, and games do not work for more than 15 minutes. I assume that this is because there are two separate laser readers, one for BluRay and one for DVD. The good news is, there is a way to potentially fix it. These videos I found will help clean the BluRay laser with some rubbing alcohol. There are many people in the comments section of each video that were able to fix their PS3 using this method. But there is definitely the risk of it becoming worse and have other problems, and obviously the warranty will be voided once you open up the console. I tried this method, but seemed to have broken the mechanical system that sucks in the disc. So I cannot say whether or not it worked, because now I can't even get the disc into the console. But it is definitely worth a try if your warranty has expired already. An important thing I realized as I was working on it is that some PS3 Slims are not even close to others in terms of the parts inside the console. I think the last two videos might be for PS3 Slims that were produced more recently than the one in the first video. The first video is definitely more complicated, and it appears that Sony changed the inside of the PS3 to a less complicated layout. Another important reminder is to NOT tighten the screws too tight on the casing where the BluRay laser is, because as one guy says in the video, it can put too much pressure on the mechanical system and will prevent it from sucking in the disc (I tried loosening them but didn't fix the problem for me so I really don't know what was wrong with mine)
I've read many theories as to why suddenly so many people had problems. It may have purely been a coincidence that it happened right after the update. Another person said that the BluRay reading laser was probably already getting close to breaking, and something about the firmware update somehow made the disc read in a weird way that put extra pressure on the laser that finally broke it. I don't know what theory to believe, but it is obvious that many have had problems.

But anyways, I hope these videos can help you guys. Good luck!

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:39:49 PM PST
1#Fetish says:

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:29:12 PM PST
Just had the same problem as TheOrangeCrush, after the 4.31 update my ps3 no longer plays games, Blu-Rays or DVDs. So no it's not his ps3, many people are reporting problems after updating to 4.31. My friends newer ps3 is freezing with some games, other people are reporting they can no longer sign into the ps network.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:54:14 PM PST
D. Lozbergs says:
Hey everyone iv go 2 ps3s ones mine and the other is my brothers mine works all fine it's 4.30 version and my bros is 4.31 and Everytime I scan to find my connection it says no acces point have been detected when I turn it off and turn it back on it works for about 10-20 min playing online and then he get signed out and my ps3 Internet is all fine no problems , any ideas what could be wrong ? And sometimes when he try's to sign in it give 8001000A error

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:58:57 AM PST
And thanks for your opinions guys. I'll just wait it out until the next update and see what happens.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 12:58:20 AM PST
This discussion I found isn't much help, but it's nice to see that I wasn't the only one:

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:54:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 8:55:52 AM PST
Andrew Ward says:
Also, I haven't verified this, but I have read that using a PS3 stand helps with the ventilation and disc-reading, but personally I'd only look into getting a stand if gaming rig space is an issue. Sure as hell wont risk a stand on an Xbox that's for sure considering you put the disc at risk at being scratched to death.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:52:22 AM PST
Andrew Ward says:
Afraid to say it though but I think it might be your PS3 acting up. I was just playing the Tomb Raider Trilogy, and it read the disc fine. Try clearing out the dust by taking a vacuum hose and clear out the dust by sucking it through the vents. I say that because one time I popped a disc in and I heard an "odd" noise when it was going in and ejecting. Problem was solved after I sucked the dust out of the vents with the hose (if you're using a slim there's vents on the back, underneath the sides, etc). If that doesn't work, try using a laser cleaning disc. If not, then your PS3 might be gone.

However, I have read that there is a hardware issue when it comes to the chips (such as the PS3 eating up thermal paste like crazy but I suspect that they were using cheap/low grade thermal paste). But don't jump the gun on voiding your warranty until you've cleaned the dust out via a hose to the vents just yet.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:40:45 AM PST
Zak Iarih says:
No problems here

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:28:13 AM PST
Solid Sponge says:
I'm guessing you have one of the original PS3's, correct? Or maybe one of the first slims? I'm sure you just need an upgrade, if the problem persists than I'd suggesting hitting up the Black Friday deals. :)
Or you could wait for PS4. But I'd replace it with one of the older slims, not the newest, current one, but one like this:

Sony Playstation 3 160GB System

At the moment, it appears to be more expensive than the newest one. But whatever you choose, I assure that your problem is most likely related to your hardware. I have not any problems at all.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 8:10:17 AM PST
The Big MT says:
No problems here.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:51:13 AM PST
New here, but my ps3 has been having problems too. Cant tell you about in game because my ps3 cant read discs anymore. But as soon as I load up a downloaded game or demo, the screen just goes black... Definitely need a fix soon.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:40:40 AM PST
Might sound too simple but try changing the daylight savings settings. I was having problems of the store not loading and fixed the DST and its better.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
God of War: Saga Collection for 10 bucks 0 24 seconds ago
Amazon Black Friday Deals/Lightning Deals Thread 24 3 minutes ago
Alright, your TDay/BF weekend list of shame. Whatcha getting/got? 47 5 minutes ago
The Order: 1886 for $9 12 5 minutes ago
11/23-27/15 Weekly Gaming and Weekend Recap: Bruce Willis is Luke's Father, Rosebud, and Tyler Durden Had the Power to Go Home All Along <=Warning, Spoilers 167 8 minutes ago
OT: Week 12 of the NFL Season: Is the NFL product starting to deteriorate? Who's winning on Turkey Day? WHO YA GOT! 5 12 minutes ago
What are you doing on Turkey Day? 53 13 minutes ago
OT: Go Lakers! 26 23 minutes ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 1314 23 minutes ago
Best Buy is the Place Right now For Game Deals Especially if you are GCU 32 45 minutes ago
Amazon metrics show that shoppers are heavily favoring PS4, while Xbox One games get left in the dust 137 48 minutes ago
White PS4 controller for $29 7 52 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions