Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Braid Dev: New Xbox 'Not stricly about games'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 8, 2013 2:21:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:25:56 PM PST
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/braid-dev-new-xbox-not-strictly-about-games

---------------------------

Jonathan Blow, the independent game developer behind Braid, revealed his new game The Witness at Sony's PlayStation 4 reveal. And while it's not a PlayStation 4 exclusive, it will be on Sony's platform first.

Speaking with Edge Online, Blow notes that the new, still-unknown Xbox 360 successor is "not strictly about games," leading him to PlayStation 4 as a result.

"To me[,] they talk about a console that is not strictly about games. It's trying to be the [center] of the living room device, which is fine and maybe it's the right thing for Microsoft to do, business-wise. I don't know; I actually don't think it is, but they've certainly thought about it more than me!"

Blow then goes into his previous working relationship with Microsoft. "I've had a bad time working with Microsoft in the past. Maybe not super bad, but a moderately bad time in terms of business relationships. Other developers who are friends of mine have had a horrible time, so the idea of signing up again with Microsoft isn't something I'd have ruled out, but there's a certain amount of dread I have about doing that again."

He notes that he doesn't "have that [feeling] with Sony." But he goes on to say, "Who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be just as bad at the end! But I don't think so."

This isn't the first time Blow has made his unhappiness with Microsoft known. He noted back in February that he doesn't "have good communication with anyone at Microsoft right now," while echoing the same general sentiment from the Edge interview, noting that his studio "like[s] the positioning of the PS4 more than what we perceive Microsoft's positioning is going to be."

--------------------

Yes, I can't stand Blow's little artistic savior persona, but Ive always agreed with him on shady business practices. I won't comment on anything else, though.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:25:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:37:25 PM PST
Um, what? People need to get past this whole "I only want a video game console" thing.

Edit: Christ, people. Downvote me all you want. It will not change the fact that people already use their consoles for things other than games. Fewer devices doing more tasks is the way it goes.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:27:52 PM PST
R. Typo says:
In addition to video games, the next xbox is about toast and waffles.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:28:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:28:56 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I only want a video game console/netflix streaming device. Wait, I have that.

I don't know what I want but it had better be something awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:28:42 PM PST
But that's all I want...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:33:31 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
If you said chicken and waffles I would have been more intrigued.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:33:32 PM PST
DVvM says:
If the NeXtbox doubles as a waffle iron, sign me up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:37:45 PM PST
Uh duh. This is news?

Neither the next Xbox or the PS4 us going to be strictly about games... just like their predecessors.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:38:37 PM PST
Okay, between this and wanting a mithril waffle iron in PF, I'm starting to think you really like waffles.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:39:14 PM PST
The current consoles are not that, the future ones certainly won't be.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:39:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:40:30 PM PST
Sure, but this article is really about Blow's reasoning behind the decision of bringing The Witness to Playstation 4 over Xbox.

I should have thought of a better title. I have failed you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:41:22 PM PST
Welcome to the VGF. Half the time it's, "I only want a video game console!" and half the time it's arguing about which is better because of Blu-Ray, paying for Netflix, having a built in browser...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:41:57 PM PST
For the last time.

*Force choke*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:42:27 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:52:36 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:42:33 PM PST
Heh, I'll give you that one for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:47:28 PM PST
It's not your fault man. It's IGN's. Misleading headlines has become a journalistic staple.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:48:21 PM PST
I should have alleviated that, ha.

Seriously though, I will think of that when it comes to posting.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:48:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:52:40 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Its business, and in the end it will be about money and audience. IF MS can keep XBLA ecosystem strong with a good install base and traffic, the games shall come....along with outspoken indie devs shoe-in mouth.

Its interesting to note- both Braid and Super Meat Boy made themselves gamer household names because of XBLA. They can't ignore the successes they've built on there and the experience they've built dealing with the business aspect...of well...being a business...and not just a cave dwelling programmer. Good and bad, many of these Indies are 'growing up' in the industry.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:51:28 PM PST
No, I'm saying that the VGF is schizophrenic about consoles as entertainment devices. In threads comparing consoles, people argue over whose box is better as an all-around device. When an *article* about those consoles being entertainment devices is posted, VGFers go into defense mode and claim they would pay $400 for a box that does nothing but play video games.

The latter mindset pretty much ignores the fact that video game consoles are already often used for things other than gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:53:49 PM PST
To me it's just so ingrained in my everyday life. I can't think of anyone I know who doesn't use their console for things other than gaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:54:48 PM PST
Aye, sorry for that one. I delete posts when I hate what I write.

I never argue about console preferences, so I guess I've never dealt with this sort of thing. I buy what consoles I want and I know what I need.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:00:17 PM PST
So I just thought of something...why does Blow care which console is "more about games?" The guy hates most video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:02:00 PM PST
No problem.

It's just a symptom of core gamers getting what they always wanted--mainstream acceptance.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:02:57 PM PST
DVvM says:
I haven't had waffles in so long...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:04:23 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think it's great when video game consoles do all sorts of things. I just would prefer not to have to pay much extra to get the ability to do other things.

I mean, if the NeXtbox is just like the PS4 except it makes waffles, and the NeXtbox is $75 more than the PS4, and a waffle iron is $50, I'd just prefer to buy a PS4 and a waffle iron.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Mar 8, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions