www.youtube.com/watch?v=2viudg2jsE8

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:38:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2013 12:01:51 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:40:34 AM PST
yup.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:41:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 11:42:24 AM PST
You are worried?

Sorry, I misread that. Yeah, I think I don't have a problem, considering that animation or other sorts do that. Besides, you can have tons upon tons of different character models, but it still won't work if you write lousy dialogue or create a world that is so bland. Infinite is neither.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:44:22 AM PST
OK now that you've mentioned it I'm not going to be able to NOT notice it. RABBLE.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:45:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 11:48:25 AM PST
It's easy to not notice it, actually. You'll be fine. I already am.

Mass Effect is another game that uses minor NPC and let's them blend into the back ground naturally. Very much UNLIKE Oblivion.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:50:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 11:50:41 AM PST
Horowitz says:
I've been waiting for another game with an A.I. character like Alyx Vance. There some great characters in gaming, but most of the characterization is shown in cutscenes, so I loved how Alyx showed her emotion in-game. I hope Elizabeth can reach or even surpass that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:50:27 AM PST
Well hopefully game tools will open up and it will be easier not to do this. I think it was for The Incredibles they set up a tool to very quickly make generic background people so that they could make up tons of people for crowds, make them all unique and interesting but at only the faction of the time of creating someone from scratch like they do with their main characters.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 11:54:24 AM PST
So anyone else look at Elizibeth's hand?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 11:56:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 11:57:08 AM PST
Technology will eventually do that. Having said that, I still don't think that this type of technology will help if the worlds you create are so bland and forgettable. Like I said though, it doesn't bother me with this game.

Stop noticing!

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 12:00:39 PM PST
"Am I the only one who's worried that the minor NPC's are copy-pasted?"

I can't think of many games where they're not. I can't imagine a designer of a game with non-interactive NPCs devoting resources to individually crafting hundreds of different character models. Look at Dishonored, which uses about six different character models for guards, thugs, etc. It doesn't end up mattering as long as the plot-central characters are unique.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 12:04:11 PM PST
Well, like I said, I really won't mind. I mean, I forgot about Dishonored having similar character models the whole game. It doesn't bother me one bit.

I was sort of joking with my post, actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 12:08:35 PM PST
Rofl. I know you love you some Bioshock, PQTF. I'm just giving the resource-based reason for it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 12:10:46 PM PST
Like I said, I believe it's actually a waste of resource to devoting time to such things like very minor NPC characters. I just let them blend into the background. It's not like Oblivion where you are forced to interact with hundred of people in a single session.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions