Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Fast-food workers walk out in N.Y. amid rising U.S. labor unrest

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 126 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:28:34 AM PST
klopas says:
I couldn't afford to live in NYC with the same quality of life and at my current salary, though in the Dallas area I'm ballin' outrageous! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:29:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:31:03 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Memphis is very reasonable. The city itself has nice parts, great Zoo for instance, but it also has bad parts. I live outside Memphis. Both Germantown and Collierville are darn nice. Much nicer than where I was living in Cincinnati and the cost is the same. I for one don't get why people love the East Cost. The weather is terrible and the cost insane. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:30:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:32:32 AM PST
Lucanus says:
No, she is a graphic designer. She quit her job to raise our children. She was making about 1/2 of what I was, so it made sense. Day care is very expensive and thus wasn't worth it. With twins Day Care was looking to run us $1500 a month. After tax she wasn't making a ton more than that, bare in mind we file Married Status, combined our incomes put us in a high tax bracket. As the kids get older hopefully she can get back into graphic design. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:32:15 AM PST
I work 55 hours a week...my wife 40 hours... and we still don't need to hire a maid. It would be nice, but washing dishes, cleaning up around the house, and taking out the trash only takes about 30 minutes a day...if that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:32:18 AM PST
jtshiel says:
I was just bustin your eballs man. I wish I made enough money for my wife to stay at home and do all the laundry and the cleaning.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:32:30 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
$20/hour with two kids and an unemployed spouse would be hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:33:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:34:04 AM PST
Lucanus says:
LOL, fair enough. She also has dinner read Monday through Friday. Though I am the cook on the weekends and do all the yard work. Which I find fair. :)

Good point Oskar, perhaps that is why I can't relate to $20 an hour. I have too many mouths to feed on my own. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:33:25 AM PST
For my husband and I, we grew up on the ocean and can't imagine not having it available when we want :) Good thing about Long Island, there is water in every direction *laugh*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:33:36 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Yeah, maids are for the lazy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:34:17 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Do you live on the set of Leave it to Beaver?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:35:05 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I love water. My biggest happy is salt water fishing, I hope to retire by 55 in Florida with a fishing boat. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:36:49 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Joking aside, my current household is old fashioned by today's standards. We are traditional that way I suppose. Not intentially, it just kind of happen. We actually started dating when she was 15 and I was 16. We dated through high school and college. We got married in grad school. Out of all our friends and family, she is the only one who stays home with the kids. That isn't typical anymore. So yeah, I guess we are kind of Beaverish. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:38:24 AM PST
My parents have a 9,500 sq/ft house with 4 acres of land that has to be mowed and multiple buildings that had to be kept up. Between me being at school / work and my dad working 2 jobs to support my mom's medical bills, there was no extra time in the day. By the time we got home, we either did yard work or slept. My two little sisters and my mom weren't able to clean a lot of the house although they did what they could. Between the dust, dirt, pets, cooking, and cleaning, we needed a little help. She came once a week to dust and clean the main areas of the home. Just saying, sometimes people need a hand.

And she was really hot.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:38:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:39:38 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Or is it more Mad Men like, where you bang your secretary and then come home and look depressed?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:39:48 AM PST
Anthony says:
PA, outside of (presumably) Pittsburgh and Philly, is dirt cheap. especially compared to CA, where i was born and raised.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:40:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:41:01 AM PST
CA is crazy overpriced. When a friend of mine was living there we would buy cheap necessities like tape and mail them to him because it would save him a ton of money, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:41:51 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Outside of Philly is King of Prussia which is about as ritzy as it gets in that area. There aren't a lot of Philly suburbs in either PA or NJ that are going to be cheaper than the city itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:42:43 AM PST
FOGE says:
Thats awesome though. Youll see that your kids will really benefit from that life.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:42:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 9:44:17 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I don't have a secretary, though I do drink scotch. I am a chemist and pretty much setup experiements in the morning, wait for results and send out reports in the afternoon.

Foge, thanks for the kind words. I hope you are correct. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:44:01 AM PST
User says:
mmmm.... single malt.... stupid exam tonight, stopping me from being drunk mid-day at work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:44:09 AM PST
9,500 sq/ft?? Your garage was probably bigger then my entire house!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:44:52 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
I'm not sure about cheaper but Broomall and West Chester were nice. I don't think West Chester really counts as a suburb though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:47:19 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
The east coast is great. Of course I live in the boonies and we have no income tax here. I work in medicine though and can get a job anywhere. I just make 6 figures and work 3 (occasionally 4) days a week. Of course I'm also the maid due to my free time ; )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:47:50 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
So you bang your lab partner?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:47:53 AM PST
Power to the People! Demand $20 an hour (the more extreme the demands the more you get)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  126
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions