Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Balls of iron(y): Duke Nukem voice actor dislikes violence, guns

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 9:05:24 PM PDT
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/01/balls-of-irony-duke-nukem-voice-actor-dislikes-violence-guns/

Balls of iron(y): Duke Nukem voice actor dislikes violence, guns

Omri Petitte at 11:07pm November 1 2012

When unloading a shotgunful of death or crushing a shrunken Pig Cop alien beneath your manly boots in Duke Nukem, you can always expect to hear a clever follow-up-quips that defined one of classic PC gaming's most memorable characters. Jon St. John, owner of the deep baritone fueling Duke's wisecracks, has reprised his role in a franchise spanning nearly 15 games, but he doesn't necessarily share Duke's pleasure of slugging bullets into warm bodies. In fact, during the latest episode of the Unlimited Hyperbole podcast (via PCGamesN), he revealed his aversion to guns and the violence they promote, saying, "I don't care for guns in general."

"It bothers me how free we are to bear arms," he continued. "They say `Guns don't kill people, people kill people.' Well, no, I think people with guns kill people. Quite frankly, I'd like to see stronger gun laws in this country. Hell, I don't even like hunting. I don't like people out there shooting deer or elk or whatever unless they're doing it to survive. If they're using every part of the animal in some way, then great, but I'm disturbed if they're killing it just to kill."

St. John, who established himself as a voice actor of great flexibility by assuming roles in such games as Half-Life: Opposing Force, Clive Barker's Undying, and Heroes of Newerth also stated "gratuitously violent" games such as Grand Theft Auto aren't his jam, preferring instead flying, racing, or driving experiences. Of course, he also recognized the glaring contrast between his personal stances and the testosterone-fueled gib-generator he voices.

"I've been connected to Duke for so long," he said. "And even though I'm on 150, 160 odd games in all, Duke Nukem is the one character who really made me famous in the industry. A few times at conventions I've had guys come up to me and say, `Man, you're so badass,' but I'm really not. That's why I hesitated when you asked me about guns. I don't want to disappoint fans."

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:43:28 PM PDT
Voice of god says:
Breaking news: Stephen Colbert doesn't even like ludicrous, divisive arch-conservative punditry, even though that's exactly what he satirizes!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:45:05 PM PDT
George Carlin was also a sweet, compassionate, kind gentle man off stage.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:49:40 PM PDT
Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XqyJt939M4

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:51:23 PM PDT
flores is really an xbox fanboy

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:57:30 PM PDT
In other hard-hitting news: Chuck Norris facts aren't really "facts."

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 10:10:44 PM PDT
I'm not particularly a big fan of wedding ceremonies but I'll do someone's wedding photos if they are willing to meet my price. I assume most actors who play killers in horror movies are against murdering innocent people but they take the roles. I really don't see what PC Gamer is so excited about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:07:23 PM PDT
This man means well, but he has no idea what he's talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:15:23 PM PDT
I'm not the biggest violence fan, either, fellow Brony. Brohoof? /)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 11:20:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 12:02:54 AM PDT
(\ My point is that hunting also helps in conservation, population control, etc., and that stricter gun laws would only restrict law-abiding citizens who have the right to carry those weapons for self-defense or for recreation, such as skeet, trap, hunting, etc. This guy obviously doesn't understand that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:24:47 AM PST
Well, My family doesn't hunt. Of course, we have this redneck kid who does. (and only talks about either Shotguns, how he hates police and Obama, and how American made products are better than foreign products)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 7:41:13 AM PST
aidenraine says:
couldn't agree more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 8:30:40 AM PST
Exactly. Obviously he's against violence, as I assume most people are, but his stance on guns and hunting is just silly.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions