Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 746 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 24, 2012 11:08:36 AM PST
I'm not ruling out the possibility that we were created by a God or anything like that, but I've been (personally) finding alot of inconsistencies and disagreements.... Actually, I have for years, but I've never really questioned them, probably out of fear of stigmatization. It's just that things like their views on homosexuality, God hardening Pharaoh's heart, the prioritization of gender roles, the fact that they expect people to suddenly have a change of spiritual views from the culture that they've grown up with and adhered to their whole life (and if they don't, they burn in hell), and most importantly....that missionary is the only acceptable sex position (lol, jk jk). IDK, have any of you been through something similar? How do I break it to my friends and family that are religious? Should I even do so in the first place, or should I just keep attending like nothing's changed?

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:09:35 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
This should end well...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:11:33 AM PST
Did I potentially unleash a hornet's nest? I only posted this because I see the VGF as friends TBH...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:12:15 AM PST
"but I've never really questioned them"

Are you questioning the existence of God or the beliefs set by people? You can believe in one without believing in the other.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:13:00 AM PST
new Tron says:
Believe what you want to believe, and don't let other peoples' opinions regarding your beliefs bother you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:15:05 AM PST
Like I said before, I could never rule out the possibility of there being a God because I don't know everything. I just do't believe in the Christian God based on what the Bible says. I mean, God can be a jealous God, but jealousy is a sin? Oh, it's ok because it's righteous jealousy? That kind of stuff is what's personally bothered me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:15:36 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
You're young so I'll chalk it up to naivete, but in general conversations about religion and/or politics usually become a complete shit show of epic proportions especially on the internet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:16:27 AM PST
I know, I just don't want people that I've known and loved to think less of me because of it is all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:16:41 AM PST
new Tron says:
The absolute worst thing about this thread is that it will probably bring that racist homophobe Steve back from under his rock.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:17:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 11:33:33 AM PST
I have faith in you guys and gals. You haven't let me down before (well, for the most part ha ha ha)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:17:31 AM PST
new Tron says:
If they think less of you because of your beliefs, why would you want anything to do with people like that? Real friends and family accept you for who you are, provided you're not going out and hurting anyone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:17:53 AM PST
FOGE says:
All that you listed are people (who are flawed) interpretation of Gods will. I find it acceptable to find your own belief and not worry what others say. You can still believe in God or at least have faith without believing church's teachings.

I have felt similar ways and personally believe the bible is outdated and churches are out of touch with modern society. Faith is all about a persons connection with something bigger than us and that is different to everyone. I love when religion brings people together for that in my mind is what God wants.

When church creates division I believe that is not what God wants. It's ok to believe something different than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:18:28 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
No doubt, he was one of the people who I thought would show up eventually when I read the post.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:18:52 AM PST
"If they think less of you because of your beliefs, why would you want anything to do with people like that? Real friends and family accept you for who you are, provided you're not going out and hurting anyone else."

That's what I thought too, but it wouldn't make it any less painful I think.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:19:07 AM PST
J. E. says:
I believed in God for about 1 day when I was 4 when my cousin told me to. Then I completely forgot about it since my parents aren't religious and it was never mentioned to me again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:19:38 AM PST
"I have felt similar ways and personally believe the bible is outdated and churches are out of touch with modern society. Faith is all about a persons connection with something bigger than us and that is different to everyone. I love when religion brings people together for that in my mind is what God wants."

I see.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:23:18 AM PST
new Tron says:
You're right, it won't make it any less painful. But one of the things that comes with getting older and more mature, is realizing who is real family and friends. At least for me, family isn't someone who is related to me. It's someone who demonstrates that they are there for me no matter what, which is why I consider most of my close friends to be more of a family to me than most of my blood relatives. Life is too short to deal with anything less.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:25:01 AM PST
You're absolutely right.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:26:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 11:26:50 AM PST
I pretty much agree with what has been said so far. It is possible to believe in a deity or a universal system of order and have no ties with religion. For me, I was raised Methodist and admire their ethos, but I'm a very private person and I don't care to share in a congregational religion.

I'll say only this: people will tell you that religion is hypocritical because it preaches tolerance alongside of hate, but that doesn't mean you can't pick and choose what you believe. I know many friends who are Catholic and consider themselves faithful, but ignore most of what the church says. Matters of the soul (if you believe in a soul) are best left to your own heart and mind.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:26:30 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
The Bible is just a book of fairy tales gathered from nomads told over a drunken campfire, and nothing more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:27:03 AM PST
If only more people had that mentality.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:28:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 24, 2012 11:28:36 AM PST
"The Bible is just a book of fairy tales gathered from nomads told over a drunken campfire, and nothing more."

Ha ha. That may be true, but I'll swear on a book of tales well-told long before I set my heart to bleak cynicism.

Posted on Nov 24, 2012 11:31:53 AM PST
Yay, it didn't turn into a shit storm. I truly appreciate the advice ya'll. You're wonderful people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:36:33 AM PST
There are def holes in all religions, but I've always found it interesting that the 3 biggest religions began in the same part of the world. That says to me that something must have happened there. Also i think people place way too much faith in science. Science can explain a lot of things, but it doesn't explain everything. To me its way to naive to think that God just went, chicken, rabbit, duck, etc and they all just showed up. Why can't evolution be a tool of god? Since were on the VGF I'll let a video game help my point. "Nothing is True". In both science and religion, nothing is true. We once believed that Earth was the center of all things, but now we know thats not true. For all we know the theory of evolution and the big bang theory are incorrect. Nothing is True.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:37:13 AM PST
Carlito says:
Are your issues with God or the bible, though? I went through a period where I thought the same, went to college, focused on Roman/Greek history with an emphasis on theology and was able to filter out pretty well what the basis (the good) was in the religion. Remember, a lot of the more hateful, exclusionary stuff in the bible was written by Paul/Saul. A man who murdered a ton of Christians before falling off his horse, having a seizure, and saying he 'saw God'.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa69bfaec)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions