Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

9 out of 10 Game Creators Who Praised The Wii U Made a Wii U Launch Game

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 7:21:29 AM PST
http://kotaku.com/5964249/9-out-of-10-game-creators-who-praised-the-wii-u-made-a-wii-u-launch-game

9 out of 10 Game Creators Who Praised The Wii U Made a Wii U Launch Game
Stephen Totilo
E3 is a time for a lot of huffery and puffery about video games, much of which turns out to be true-just not all of it.

The bluster is biggest when a new console is being launched. Promises are made or at least implied. Then the system comes out. So. The Wii U. It just came out. Let's rewind to the Nintendo press conference of E3 2011. During that conference, Nintendo showed the Wii U for the first time, explained the system's bizarre controller and even got 10 prominent people who make games to praise the GamePad.

Who were these people and what did they deliver?

You can watch the video above, as it aired during Nintendo's conference.

Or you can read the list below. Each person gets a 'Yes' next to them if they announced or released a Wii U game. They get a "No" if they did not.

Peter Moore, EA. Yes (EA released Madden, FIFA, and Mass Effect for Wii U)
Karthik Bala, Vicarious Visions. Yes (VV developed the Wii U version of Skylanders Giants)
Danny Bilson, THQ. Yes (A post-Bilson THQ put out Darksiders 2 for launch.)
Yves Guillemot, Ubisoft. Yes (Weird asterisk on this one: He promised Assassin's Creed and Ghost Recon Online. The latter is MIA. But Ubi did deliver ZombiU, Rabbids Land and Just Dance 4 to complement ACIII.)
Martin Tremblay, WBIE. Yes (Warner Brothers released Batman Arkham City and the next guy's game on launch day.)
Jeremiah Slaczka, 5th Cell. Yes (This occasional Kotaku columnist's studio released Scribblenauts Unlimited for Wii U.)
Katsuhiro Harada, Namco Bandai. Yes (Namco released Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and Tank Tank Tank for Wii U)
Ken Levine, Irrational. No (Odd? A month later he told IGN that his BioShock Infinite studio had "no plans to do any games for that platform." BioShock Infinite comes out in February for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC, but Nintendo themselves can't yet explain why it's not announced (coming?) to Wii U. I reached out to a PR rep for any comment and no update was to be had. Oh well.)
Warren Spector, Junction Point. Yes (His team's Epic Mickey 2 came out for Wii U on launch day.)
Frank Gibeau, EA. Yes (See Peter Moore.)
Nine out of ten. So close to perfection!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:23:38 AM PST
Beau H. says:
...maybe I'm missing the point?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:23:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:24:29 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Wait a second...people are promoting the console they're making games for!? WOW. Thanks for shedding light on this terrible conspiracy Kotaku!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:24:58 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Ballwashers got the job.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:25:59 AM PST
They probably didn't stop at washing balls though....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:29:36 AM PST
The point is, 9 out of 10 seemingly random big-name developers who promoted the Wii-U gamepad during the 2011 E3 conference launched a game with the Wii-U.

So, yeah, I second Flores' post.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:30:59 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:31:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:31:56 AM PST
It's a conspiracy. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:33:21 AM PST
One out of ten never understood good PR.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:35:16 AM PST
FOGE says:
One out of Ten game developers is a tease. Thats the point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:36:04 AM PST

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:36:21 AM PST
Do you just hate the Wii U Capt? :p

You knoooow you waaant one!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:39:41 AM PST
RJMacReady says:
1.2 GHz dude.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:40:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:41:21 AM PST
I see your 1.2 GHZ and counter with Monster Hunter Tri U.

your move!

EDIT: And Zelda HD, Mario HD, Mario 3D HD, Metroid HD, Smash bros HD

And... and......Kirby HD YEAH KIRBY!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:42:57 AM PST
Well, of course! MH3U!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:44:22 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:45:22 AM PST
I know i say it a lot. but MH is a system seller for me in the states since we so rarely get one...

I looked at the Wii U and was slightly impressed. Then i saw that release date and The ad in my head said "Come buy the Wii U!... We have Monster Hunter Cookies!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:46:25 AM PST
Why? They are awesome Titles and amazing games. but if you want to go down that road...

how many Halo games does the Xbox have?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:47:47 AM PST
Over 9000.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:51:32 AM PST
I will tell you what I hope to see on the Wii U.

I want a nice RPG, where nothing on the UI is shown really on screen, you go into combat and you can see the characters and what not (assuming ATB or Turn based) and on the gamepad are the stats and commands and things, you input them all and then watch the result on the big screen. All the inventory and all that fun stuff can be done on the gamepad... something like this. Some may not like this, having ton constantly look up and down etc... that's fine. Give them the option to have it all on the main screen too. options are good!

I want the gamepad to be an extension of the game, not just a big controller with a streaming capability that works no more than 20 feet from the TV :p

I HAVE HOPES!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:56:22 AM PST
This is a srsly kick-ass idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:57:52 AM PST
Yeah it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:03:50 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:06:26 AM PST
Geomancer says:
That would be a lot of fun.

Unfortunatly "ATB or Turn based" games are exceedingly rare on consoles these days with only 1 or 2 genuinely good ones a generation. A few ultra niche of a niche titles come by means of NISA but otherwise it's pretty much only handhelds, and getting rare there too.

This is all I play on consoles/handhelds, and for the PC 80% of my games are TBS games. So much more strategy in turn-based games, and far less button mashing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions