Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Obama calls for research between violent video games and real world violence

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 245 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:25:05 AM PST
pretty much my point. social isolation caused by the addiction of media and video games... but really just bad parenting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:25:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:26:52 AM PST
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. In fact they have gone out of their way to make it very clear that they were not singling out videogames and not saying there is a direct correlation.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:26:10 AM PST
UziHorowitz says:
Good to see taxpayer dollars going to good use.

More government bureaucracy that'll just waste money and solve absolutely nothing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:27:29 AM PST
Could be. But I doubt the president is concerning his presidency with clearing video-gamers/games reputation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:28:51 AM PST
K Archer says:
Maybe...but then we'll see money being thrown at less reputable organizations until a link is found...and then only that "study" which proves it will be used, all other evidence be danged.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:30:13 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Clearly this "call" for "research" is some kind of "conspiracy".

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:33:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:33:55 AM PST
Keller says:
Man, I am just not remotely as paranoid as some people. I don't find it far fetched for the government to actually want to study something for good reason. The government certainly is far from flawless, but Christ not everything they do is the most evil thing ever riddled with alternate reasoning/objectives. :)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:33:19 AM PST
kaosrogue says:
So the Federal Government has spent billions of dollars on studying the effects of violent videogames on children on 7 different studies since 1999. Not to mention, that States have done dozens of the same studies. Every study has concluded that they cannot find a link between violence in videogames and aggressive behavior. The government can't keep wasting money on things until they get the results they want.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:33:44 AM PST
FOGE says:
Thats what "they" want you to think!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:34:06 AM PST
Pretty good understanding of appropriated dollars.

Most of the general public doesn't know congress allocates funds to government agencies using appropriated funds. Certain funds can only be used for specific things. Depending on the agency, some are no-year, 2 year, 3 year, multi-year funds... Most have expiration dates though.

If ya'll didn't know our government is working on imaginary money right now cause we are still in a Continuing Resolution. Meaning we are "funded" just enough to pay salary but no new projects can be started unless they are mission critical.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:36:07 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
It's not about defending video games, it's about not just putting a band aid on the surface and actually digging deep and trying to find the real problem. As long as popular media is always there to take the blame there will always be a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:36:57 AM PST
klopas says:
That's a good point - I don't know that I'm supposed to be a certain way, I just do what feels natural because of how I was raised and who I grew up with. My gaming persona (4) is a far cry (3) from who I am at work and with friends, although I do game with friends who comment that I sometimes go overboard. Perhaps gaming allows me to vent the pent up frustration that would otherwise be let loose in real world situations.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:38:59 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Why not music, tv shows, and movies?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:40:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:40:49 AM PST
Keller says:
According to his speech, he didn't specify only video games. Other forms of media maybe (should be IMHO) included. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:40:44 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
They've already done studies on those. Video games are the new go-to scapegoat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:46:09 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Of course, that was kind of my point :P

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:48:22 AM PST
Error says:
I for one would not be surprised in the least to find that being exposed to adult/violent video games at a young age continuing through adolescence would have a strong correlation with violence or aggression in adulthood. Of course those exposed at a young age would likely have a number of other high-risk factors such parental abuse/neglect, family history of mental illness, substance abuse issues, etc. To rule out our cherished hobby as a part of the picture I believe is rather naive.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:48:50 AM PST
Sars says:
This is dumb. Maybe he should research how many people who played madden when they were younger are in the nfl.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:53:06 AM PST
Keller says:
Yes because playing videogames helps a person become a world class athlete. I am willing to bet those who played Madden as a kid had dreams of some day playing in the NFL. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:53:50 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
WiistationUbox, we were talking about this the other day and you seemed to think the only thing the government might try to do to video games is require carding for minors. Today we have seen a proposal to charge extra taxes on violent video games and a proposal for a study that can be used to legislate laws against violent video games. Guns were a scapegoat for all this and now its shifting to video games just as I predicted.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:55:00 AM PST
yeah... i have a feeling that study will likely end up being in favor of banning violent video games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:58:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 11:58:52 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm going to say 100%.

Wait, I read that backwards. I thought you said how many people in the NFL played Madden when they were younger.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:59:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 12:00:38 PM PST
Keller says:
People in congress propose all kinds of crazy ideas, that doesn't mean it will happen. I wouldn't worry too much about the tax. As for a ban, not going to happen.

Perhaps if all stores carded the industry could fight back and blame parents? Since the industry did what it could to keep games out of the hands of kids? Just a thought. I mean it makes sense to me, alcohol and tobacco did a similar thing. They acknowledged their products weren't for kids, agreed to carding, now they can't be blamed. Since their products aren't sold to kids. Easy as pie. Quite frankly GTA isn't for kids and shouldn't be sold to kids. Same goes for Jennifer's Body.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:00:43 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Lanza was in his 20's. He could have been playing violent games for years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:02:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 12:06:13 PM PST
Keller says:
Sure, but there is a difference between 2 years and 20 years. Plus most research suggests that brain development occurs mostly in kids and slows down as we grow older. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying violent video games affect brain development in kids. I am saying I don't know. A study wouldn't hurt. :)

Still none of that is the point. Certain games are clearly made for adults. Acknowledging that and putting laws into place so only adults have legal access makes sense. At least to me it does. I am sorry, but many products are CLEARY made for adults and should only be sold to adults. If a 7 year old tried to buy a strap on, really? I mean should we say oh well, just sell it to her?

Edit:
Yes I know parents should watch their kids more closely and do their job, but many don't, which is an even larger problem.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  245
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions