Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PCGamer - Hands on with Tomb Raider - "A lack of meaningful interaction"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 83 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:59:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 12:59:30 PM PST
Noooo! God please noooo! - Michael Scott

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 12:55:29 PM PST
Maybe he was just complaining that he couldn't invert the controls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 12:47:41 PM PST
Honestly to me both are slightly silly complaints. Yes, if the game has zero atmosphere, then I can see where other little things get on your nerves. I honestly dont plan on playing the game anyways, but the criticisms he's leveling over a demo version of the game seem ridiculously nit-picky and slightly inane. It'd be like me playing a Call of Duty demo and complaining I had to hold the right trigger button too often. It just seems a really odd thing to write an entire article complaining about. Especially in a genre of games where yes, you hold up on the thumbstick in pretty much EVERY game of this genre quite a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:42:58 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
then instead of having "hunger" or "thirsty" or "fatigued" stats, they would just increase the speed that a Stamina Meter drains. (or decrease how fast it recovers, or both.) same for physical injuries.

boom: extra immersion!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:58:33 AM PST
shiftless says:
I agree. Other games (Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear whatever) have used that to good effect, and I think that would fit very well with the image that the devs are trying to get across for their vision of Lara and the franchise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:46:59 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm not a Tomb Raider fanboy, but I am a Crystal Dynamics fanboy.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:43:29 AM PST
But then all climbing segments become a timed thing...can't make everyone happy!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:40:31 AM PST
Actually, the introduction of a stamina meter would make sense in the game since they are apparently going on the path of showing Lara struggle with her environment. Sure, it could add more difficulty but it would be kinda nice to know that I can't just hang there all day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:36:00 AM PST
I think some of the lines in it are hilarious. But there are plenty of criticisms that can be leveled against that series (if you're not a foaming-at-the-mouth fanthing), and the predictability of the "oh no I'm gonna fall!" coupled with the inconsistency in jumps you can or can't make is a valid criticism of the whole platforming mechanic.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:26:53 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
He spent 85% of the article talking about climbing and tried to cram the rest of the 15% in there and still be under his required word count. It's a terrible article on all fronts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:25:21 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
You see, that's just bad journalism.
He doesn't get his point across in the first paragraph and I had trouble understanding what he really was complaining about since all he kept talking about was that his thumb hurt from pushing up on the controller.
This must also be the reporter's first adventure game because I've never had an issue with a character just hanging there.
In fact, hanging there is absolutely essential in Assassin's Creed.
The article actually makes me wonder if he ever played a Tomb Raider game before because it sounds like his expectations of what a game should be are more in line with an RPG rather than the traditional run, jump, shoot and solve puzzle.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:19:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 10:20:53 AM PST
DVvM says:
"The closest parallel is the PlayStation 3's Uncharted series. But where the linear leaping of those games was leavened by Indiana-Jones-style humour and silliness,"

I think this was my problem with the Uncharted games. I chaffed at the linearity of them, and didn't appreciate the levity. To each their own, I guess. I wonder if I would like Uncharted more if it were less jokey.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:05:24 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Hopefully they add in a survivor mode or something like Fallout New Vegas had where you had to have water with you if you were going into the desert and you had to eat (I think) in order to survive.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:02:56 AM PST
shiftless says:
Buried in that article (which I agree, did seem to focus on pretty trivial details), I think he made a good point: there doesn't seem to be any consequence for "missing". It seems like the game is putting you in this epic and dramatic set-piece, and you feel like Lara is in some real danger...but if you release the controls, she just hangs on indefinitely? Tension -- gone. And I really like that this game is trying to put a more realistic spin on the "survival" aspects, and it's cool that you have to actually forage some food for Lara...but nothing happens if you don't? Or if it takes you four hours, it's fine? That's a legitimate complaint, I think, but maybe the writer of the article just didn't get his points across very clearly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:29:30 AM PST
Ah man, I did the whole CTRL C but forgot all about that CRTL V.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:19:56 AM PST
Alien Fodder says:
Mogwai, you might want to actually include the link (*smirk*): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zygz2R-ods4

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:16:51 AM PST
If you can use youtube where you are here is Adam Sesslar's more inciteful first impression of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:15:10 AM PST
Gonna try typing with my face...

"About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was part of him - and I didn't know how potent that part might be - that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:12:49 AM PST
It amazes me how people are reacting to this. One of the biggest complaints from the E3 demo last year was the amount of QTEs and lack of player control. Now a preview comes out basically saying that's how the game feels, and people (none of whom have played the game) are jumping all over this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 9:08:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 9:09:09 AM PST
*zip

qazwsxedcrfvtgbyhnujmik,ol.p;/['

;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:49:43 AM PST
Eh, still just pressing keys. Can't you be original? Like ripping the keys off the keyboard and typing with your face.

Seriously though, this almost comes across as one of those negative impressions to get attention. Where they just complain about asinine things to start up a comment storm and draw hits.

I mean seriously, this game looks amazing. And his only real complaint is that you have to hold the thumbstick forward alot......

Another REALLY popular series has you hold the thumbstick and a button at the same time (Assassin's Creed) and I've never heard someone complain about how boring those games are because of that. I'm guessing the guy is a fan of another genre and just got told he needs to do a quick impression on this game.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:39:26 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
So basically ''This plays exactly like Uncharted but is not on the PS3 but wait I'm a PC enthusiast what the .. ok forget about it''

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:35:13 AM PST
Yeah, I can't read it either, hehe.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:35:10 AM PST
Keyboards are for pr0n, controllers are for gaming.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:34:26 AM PST
C. Zajic says:
"because journalists are only able to play Xbox 360 code at this stage in Tomb Raider's development. "

So how developed is this game if journalists can only play the 360 version?
And why is a computer game journalist giving impressions of console game?
No wonder he's all buns hurt, he hasn't developed a proper gaming thumb and is used to doing things with a keyboard.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  83
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions