Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

THQ: Call of Duty has ruined shooter variety

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 4:58:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 4:59:59 PM PST
http://www.examiner.com/article/thq-call-of-duty-has-ruined-shooter-variety?cid=rss

-----------------------------------

California-based THQ might be meandering through Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, but that hasn't stopped it from speaking out on current trends in the video game industry, including the unprecedented popularity of rival Activision's "Call of Duty" series.

"I think it's probably very true to say that there's reaction to what used to be a small subset of the genre of a military shooter" said Huw Beynon, THQ's head of global communications, in an interview Friday. "Which has ballooned and mushroom-clouded to almost define the genre, and kind of stamp out memories of what I remember being great about first-person shooters, whether that was 'Half-Life,' 'System Shock' or 'GoldenEye' -- where a first-person shooter didn't necessarily have to involve military material. It just meant an invitation to a fantastic other world, which to me was always the point of video games in the first place."

Following the explosive popularity of id's "Doom" and "Quake" franchises in the early 90s, the genre greatly expanded in multiple avenues as the decade went on. Twitch arena shooters like "Quake III" and "Unreal Tournament" lived alongside more deliberate and tactical games like Ubisoft's "Rainbow 6" series and more fantastical games like the aforementioned "System Shock." With the rise of shooters on consoles following the release of "GoldenEye" and "Perfect Dark" on the N64 and "Halo: Combat Evolved" on the Xbox, the genre expanded even further. Although many games began to copy "Halo" mechanics such as two-weapon carrying limits and regenerating health, there was still a healthy balance.

But in recent years, that variety has begun to dwindle as everyone chases the "Call of Duty" cash. THQ is no better than many other publishers, shelling out the most money the studio has ever invested in a game for "Homefront." Despite its interesting, albeit "Red Dawn" derivative premise, the game played like a straight "Call of Duty" clone with narrow Michael Bay-inspired set pieces. Though with the publisher putting the finishing touches on 4A Games' "Metro: Last Light," it seems THQ is trying to expand its horizons once again. Other publishers are following suit with new titles, such as the open-world "Far Cry 3" and Bethesda's recently released "Dishonored."

"I think there are definitely trends in gaming that can come from the audience themselves, driven by the media in poart, or something can be seen as a success and then people do something similar," Beynon said. "I can't speak for 'Far Cry' or 'Hitman,' as I've not played either of those, although I am looking forward to playing both of them. I have had a chance to play around with 'Dishonored,' which I've hugely enjoyed and I'm thrilled that they've had success with that. It's probably the game that's interested me most this year and am glad to see it get the critical and hopefully commercial success that it deserves."

Cash-strapped THQ is putting a lot of its eggs in the basket of "Metro: Last Light," not unlike their hopes for the doomed "Homefront." A more slow-paced and intimate shooter, Beynon said it could scratch an itch that many people have had for a long time -- one that puts them in the shoes of a regular person fighting for survival, rather than being some type of super-soldier involved in a global conflict.

"I think for people like them, and for 'Bioshock Infinite' on the horizon, it's the desire to do something a little bit different -- and I think we've each explored what that different thing is in our own way," he said. "'Metro' has a very strong stealth element to it, but that's more because that kind of gameplay suits the narrative, and it makes sense that you're a single, vulnerable person. You're not this super soldier, you don't have this squad of marines at your back at any one time, we don't do these combat levels where you're just relentlessly forging your way up the beach through wave after wave of bullet fodder just flinging themselves at you."

-----------------------------------

Yes, I know that the notion of COD having a negative impact on the genre is pretty obvious, but I still thought it was a good article. At the very least, it's nice to see other people in the industry, echo the criticism.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:17:50 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
THQ: We Wish We Bought Infinity Ward

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 5:32:08 PM PST
Far Cry 3 is FANTASTIC and both critics and gamers seem to love it.

Creativity Rule #1: Don't complain about convention, obliterate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:49:23 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:51:59 PM PST
Well, we tried to get you something you like but you don't like anything! This is the worst Christmas ever!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:55:14 PM PST
I remember when you had Far Cry 3 for your GOTY a month before the game even came out, saying it would be great just based on video. How did that turn out?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:23:21 PM PST
Far Cry 3 can't be GOTY when you have something as awesome as MoH Warfighter!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:28:43 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2012 8:31:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:34:52 PM PST
What are you talking about saying I don't like anything? Look at my reviews, out of the 16 game reviews I gave 14 of them a positive review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:35:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 1:24:05 AM PST
Whoa there dude. I very rarely reply to you at all. I'm just posting something that is the truth. It's not my fault that you posted it in the first place.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/video%20games/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ti?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx24FN3N7K1QQ9T#Mx172QF6CVBAJE0

And guess what? I didn't reply to you at all in this thread. Shocker!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:36:10 PM PST
Damn bro, you really like to talk smack on amazon.com vgf.
It's like every comment or post I say something you just have to reply.
Grow up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:36:55 PM PST
Go play resident evil on 3ds.....fyi 3ds is for 5 year olds....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:37:59 PM PST
You rarely reply to me?
Ha, I wish there was a stalker button. You have something to say about everything I say!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:38:41 PM PST
And how about you take the 148 items out your wish list and get a job and buy them.
Bum.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:40:09 PM PST
I'am a grown up and please do tell me what other times I have posted or reply'ed to you in a demeaning fashion other then tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:42:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 12:38:14 AM PST
Oh, who's being a stalker now. Checking out my profile. What were you trying to do, find my address so you could stalk me at my house now?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:45:29 PM PST
I clicked on your name, and it says what's in your wish list....not stalking.
And Apparently your a stalker since you remember what I said about far cry 3 over 2 months ago...and do you really think this is the only time you have replied to me? I guarantee if I would want to take the time and look at every post if made and commented on at least 75% of the time your name would be in here replying away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:52:09 PM PST
Why were you looking at my profile to begin with? To stalk me, admit it.

"And Apparently your a stalker since you remember what I said about far cry 3 over 2 months ago"

It's called having a good memory.

"I guarantee if I would want to take the time and look at every post if made and commented on at least 75% of the time your name would be in here replying away."

Go right ahead I got a little time, bring me some information.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:05:10 PM PST
Recently have been playing Dishonored and I gotta agree.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:07:28 AM PST
WRONG!! The 3DS is for EVERYONE!! Shocking, I know.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:38:45 PM PST
who is AEK says:
lol, CoD ruined shooter variety....riiiiight, let's completely forget about the tsunami of WWII shooters that came before it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:55:23 PM PST
Yeah Dishonored is another great example, but this thread is getting unstable. We better dip :)

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:51:46 PM PST
THQ: "We are jealous of BL2, FC3, BF3, and COD."

Fix'd.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:59:31 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Things getting feisty in here. COD did kind of ruin my socom series. They turned Socom 4 into some fast paced respawn game, and zipper had the nerve to name the round based game types classic.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:27:38 PM PST
It sure did. The next Call of Duty will sell so many more copies than Bioshock Infinite. It's a darn shame, really.

I wish this franchise would crash and burn already.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions