Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U approaching Vita sales levels in Japan

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 161 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:02:08 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
360 got Oblivion 5 months after release.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:12:42 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
360 had a good launch, Condemned was one of the titles that made me want one.

Then Gears hit by year's end.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:21:39 AM PST
Nightmare says:
Exclusives are the issue here. There are plenty of great games (although many were already released on other systems previously), but with Black Ops II, a superior version of Ninja Gaiden 3, Arkham City, Assassins Creed III, Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Sonic and All-Stars Racing, Epic Mickey 2, Darksiders 2, Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K13, and Fifa Soccer 13, it's hard to say that it has had a bad launch. Add Scribblenauts Unlimited, NSMBU, ZombiU, and Nintendoland and things are looking pretty good. The problem is there are only a few exclusives available, third party games are being purchased for the PS3 and Xbox 360 for the most part, and the price is high enough to deter a lot of people. Why buy third party games when you can get them on a system you already own? There are great games available, but nobody needs the Wii U to play them. High quality exclusives are the key to really kick starting the masses into buying a Wii U.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:28:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 8:33:04 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Shoddy ports that ran worse than what I had on the 360. Quality>quantity, at least IMHO. For example the U actually launched with a tons of games. Blops2, Tekken, Mass Effect, Darksiders 2, Ninja Gaiden, AC3, Batman, etc. The problem being is they are ports, ports that aren't any better than what I can get on my current consoles. The ps3 ran into the exact same problem, it had 360 hand me downs. The 360 actually kicked out games in it's first year that other consoles didn't have. Oblivion in particular kept my attention during the first year. Flores it is ok to admit the 360's first year was strong, while the ps3 suffered. If it makes you feel any better, I think the roles have switched. The last few years the ps3 has been stronger than the 360 in terms of lineup. If anything the ps3 is a great console the U needs to copy. Starting off slow isn't a big deal, just fix the issues and pick up momentum. :)

Edit:
Mayo has a great point with Condemned, that was an excellent game too. The 360 launch was quite strong.

Nightmare, excellent post, spot on.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:39:04 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Agree, but this only applies to almost-old gen third party games.
Next year, we're gonna see the new generation of games pumping out, so they WILL matter.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:45:19 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
The Galaxy games were great, don't get me wrong. But they're also not the same kind of game as the 2D Marios. NSMBU is fantastic, and while it's much more simple than Galaxy 1 & 2, I'm totally enjoying it more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:58:15 AM PST
"Shoddy ports", huh?
Ok.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:59:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:04:35 AM PST
Lucanus says:
It is true. The first batch of ports to the ps3 suffered quite a bit. Go check out Lens of Truth if you don't believe me. The U is having the exact same problem. I give MS credit, apparently the 360 is a breeze to program for. :)

Game Informers review of Rainbow Six Vegas:
"While the game still looks like a next-generation title, it lacks many of the subtle points of refinement the Xbox 360 version offers. Environments are noticeably muddier and jaggier, as if Ubisoft forgot to use anti-aliasing...Despite these minor flaws, Rainbow Six Vegas offers a fantastic FPS experience that rivals anything else on the PlayStation 3. If you haven't played the game on the 360 already, this is a must-buy for any self-respecting fragger. "

For the first 12-18 months, this was typical of ps3 ports. Oblivion being the only exception that I know of, which was quite superior. Though it didn't have trophies, in fact none of the games did for quite some time. Most were never patched to have trophies added back in. Plus anybody who was interested in online, avoided PSN because it was junk for a few years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:03:56 AM PST
Thanks for the clarification.
I guess then, games like

Resistance FoM
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Folklore
Motorstorm
Ratcher & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Ninja Gaiden Sigma

Were shoddy ports too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:05:04 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Ninja Gaiden Sigma was indeed a port...but it was a damn good one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:05:42 AM PST
"Despite these minor flaws"

Wait.... "Minor flaws" or "unplayable shoddyness"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:06:06 AM PST
Exactly

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:06:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:08:17 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Resistance was excellent, so was Ratchet and Clank. Most everything else was meh. Ninja Gaiden Sigma was a port of a xbox game, thus wasn't even exclusive. I did enjoy Heavenly Sword, but it was a 4 hour game. But whatever Flores, CLEARLY Sony has to be perfect in your eyes. Sorry I can be of service in helping you grow into an open minded gamer. Enjoy your day, I'm out. :)

Flores, as a 360 owner why would I go with a version that has minor flaws and no achievements? It is the same reason I didn't bother with AC3 for the U.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:07:43 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Folklore was also excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:08:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:13:50 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I didn't care for it to be honest. I ended up trading my copy in. :)

The big thing Flores is missing is time frame. All those games, minus Motorstorm came out Fall/Winter 2007, the ps3 launched in Winter 2006. The first 10-12 months of the ps3 was brutal. The 360 did a much better job. Though as mentioned earlier the ps3 overall has a better lineup now, Sony fixed the game problem. Though I should have known better, he is far too sensitive concerning anything Sony related. I need to remember everything Sony has to be perfect.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:14:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:17:22 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
I'm just excited to see how Unreal Engine 4 will look like on the Wii U :D

oh wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:16:23 AM PST
Care to list those awesome, must have games the 360 had during it's first year that overshadows everything the PS3 had?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:18:44 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
perfect dark zero, duh!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:19:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:22:47 AM PST
Lucanus says:
No thanks, we both know it doens't matter. The ps3 always wins in your eyes. So I will go ahead and give up. We can at least save the good people of the VGF from having to to read through this nonsense. If you don't think the 360 clearly had more console exclusive material in it's first year compared to the ps3, than so be it. The point you seem to be missing is the first year of the ps3 was boring for a 360 owner. Meanwhile the first year for a 360 owner was quite nice, unless one was a PC gamer, in which case it was boring. So far the first year for a U owner looks boring. :)

Edit:
*looks at Mayo's post below*

Yep, exactly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:20:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:24:33 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Silly Flores,

Only Resistance and Motorstorm came out in the first 8 months of its first year....since we are comparing them to Wii U's launch lineup...which has been out a month and a half.

Wii U will have the PS3's full year launch lineup beat when Rayman Legends, Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter... release...before it even reaches 6 months old.

By shoddy ports i meant a Madden that EA couldn't get to run past 30fps, The Orange Box, F.E.A.R. and a few other sloppies...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:22:31 AM PST
>>If you don't think the 360 clearly had more console exclusive material in it's first year compared to the ps3<<

Of course it had more exclusives. Nearly every single first year 360 game was an exclusive, as the PS3 wasn't even out yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:23:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:30:03 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Wow, so you admit the truth. The 360 had a stronger first year compared to the ps3. Awesome. I was wrong, apparently you can be open minded. Now we can move on. :)

Try to follow me here, remember I said the U is a lot like the ps3. The ps3 had mostly 360 ports and not much exclusives for a year.... so far the U has mostly 360/ps3 ports, not much exclusives. Tadah!

The clear benefit of the 360 launching early, it was loaded with tons of console exclusives. Hence my original comment that it kept me busy for the first year, unlike the ps3/U. It all makes sense now. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:33:18 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
You're ignoring Gen 6 ports, Like Gun, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Tomb Raider: Legend, Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, X-Men: The Official Game, Hitman: Blood Money, LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy...

and that doesn't even count LttP Windows Ports (CoD2, Quake 4, Final Fantasy XI, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II...)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 9:36:53 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 9:41:52 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Games ported from the xbox to the 360 were clear upgrades. Going from 480p to 720p was a massive jump. The problem with 360 ports to the ps3 (at first) was the lack of trophies, weak online community,lack of a rumble controller and minor graphically issues. :)

I certainly can understand how a PC gamer would have found the 360 boring for the first year. Though I can understand why a PC gamer would find both the ps3 and 360 boring overall. The vast majority of games anymore are found on all platforms, which PC being superior. Though this entire discussion was framed as being about console games.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 9:40:04 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Oh man, doesn't look good.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  161
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions