Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Spike Lee Outraged over Django Unchained

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 214 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 24, 2012 4:37:39 PM PST
I remember something about Spike being upset with Tarantino over the use of the N-word. Sam Jackson defended Tarantino's use of the word.

To me, the real problem out of all of this is Spike Lee not being able to see past his hate and ignorance. Slavery was a terrible part of human history, people did die, but for Spike Lee wanting to honor his ancestors through what I feel is blind hate is ignorant.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:03:52 PM PST
A. taylor says:
This isn't the first time Spike has publicly attacked a QT movie for being racist. Years ago I heard Spike on the Howard Stern show calling Quentin a racist and a bunch of other nonsense. The truth is I can't name a white director, other than QT, who has consistently cast African American actors in prominent roles, so implying that he is racist is silly. Spike is just jealous that Tarantino has more talent in his little toe than Lee does in his whole body.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 6:04:43 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
You joke, but if I remember correctly spike lee tried to sue spike tv to get the name changed.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:35:10 PM PST
I was going to finish reading the article, but I can't disrespect my ancestors.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 6:50:01 PM PST
Of course a film like this isn't going to be 100% accurate but based on what I've seen in the trailers it isn't holding much back in terms of what was going on. We see Jamie Foxx with whip scars across his back, we see a band of slaves being lead along through a cold a winter night shackled together and barely any clothing, we see Leo's character talk about how he owns Foxx's wife and thus can do what he pleases with her, and more. That seems like a pretty good run down of how awful things were back then.

Now what you find distasteful and what I find distasteful are two totally different things but how long should subject matter be avoided before it is deemed okay? Last time I checked slavery hasn't been around in the United States for quite some time and that slavery has been abolished since December 1865 with the Emancipation Act.

I have a hard time seeing how a movie that empowers a black protagonist, a former slave no less, to rise up against those who sold him into slavery, stole his life, and threaten his wife being disrespectful and distasteful. In fact I think it is pretty awesome that Tarantino would tackle the subject matter the way he did instead of going the horribly depressing route that a movie like Roots took.

Wonder what Spike Lee thought about Dave Chappelle's skit called "Time Haters" where several black men travel back to the days of slavery and shoot a slave owner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaQJB96llU8

I'm sure he's fine with this since it was made by a black man, uses racial slurs against whites, and then ultimately has a white person being shot.

PS: I find that skit to be absolutely hilarious and it is one of my favorites, I'm just pointing out that this isn't the first time the subject matter has be tackled in such a manner yet Spike Lee had squat to say about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 7:03:42 PM PST
Heh. I feel like I should mention that they weren't "stolen." I mean, those were perfectly legal transactions at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 9:06:15 PM PST
AndrewA says:
Would spike literally explode if he found out he descended from the africans who sold other africans into slavery?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 11:27:50 PM PST
Brenda says:
It is not a documentary. It is a movie for entertainment. Oprah didn't have a problem with it. Spike Lee should just do his thing and not worry about Quentin. Perhaps he needs some attention.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 11:35:00 PM PST
Spike Lee is a hypocrite plain and simple. He talks about the racial inequality between the social and media views of blacks and whites yet does the very same thing in his movies. Also if Spike Lee was so righteous why doesn't he talk about the century of plight that the native Americans endured by both blacks and whites and other foreigners to this country during its early years.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 1:59:30 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Spagetti Western

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 10:11:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2012 1:49:00 PM PST
I.Flores says:
Prefectly legal for who?
I mean, if there 's such a place where it's legal to shoot and kill people in cold blood, and someone from that place came to your house and shot you, it wouldn't be legal just because over there it is, now would it?
Stolen is a perfecly accurate term IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 10:43:45 AM PST
Well since the leaders of African kingdoms were the ones selling prisoners from other African kingdoms to European and American slavers, to imply that they were "stolen" from Africa by the Americans is a significant misrepresentation.

Slavery is stealing a human being's life, but Spike Lee is not saying that. He's being the hateful racist he always has been.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 11:32:52 AM PST
who cares what he thinks... Tarantino gave us a Christmas present another probably amazing movie we should be thankful

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 12:04:57 PM PST
Yeah but Spike Lee is like the Grinch except you hope his brain would grow in size so that realizes what a hypocritical moron he is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 12:07:58 PM PST
Absolutely correct! Spike Lee is beyond jealous of QT because QT comes up with these brilliant ideas and turns them into unforgettable films that will be talked about and analyzed till the end of time! Everyone wants to be in QT films including the most prominent blacks actors in the business. Pure jealously.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:59:23 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
"liberal use of the n-word"
So every black rapper is ok with using this word along with slapping ho's and drinking 40's.

"boycotting the new movie because he finds it insulting"
I thought Roots was awesome but i guess he didnt see it along with Glory because it has black people in it with slavery.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:04:37 AM PST
I saw it last night. It wasnt offensive. A little bit too gory, but so it is what you get when you watch a Tarantino film. He should really watch the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:08:58 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I can't wait to see this.

Hasn't Spike Lee spent his entire career making anti-white movies?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:33:09 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
Spike Lee should be glad his ancestors were slow runners. Otherwise he may not be here at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 5:33:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 5:38:30 AM PST
Ice King says:
I know, that was why I made the joke.
:)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:45:02 PM PST
Real217 says:
I dont take anybody seriously when they havent watched a movie and have an opinion about it. Watch the movie first, and then have an opinion about it, instead of acting like a complete ignoramus. These days people review stuff from reviews much like they do on amazon.com these days. smh

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 11:29:01 PM PST
I've never seen Star Trek V. I am of the opinion that it is probably entertaining and hilarious.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:47:27 AM PST
EYEL1NER says:
When Spike Lee says something that isn't racist and ignorant, let me know.

I still can't believe that his "Old Boy" remake hasn't fallen through either. I'm all full of salt over him nabbing that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 3:44:15 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I've never seen that one either.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:08:30 AM PST
Coffee says:
His comments don't annoy me nearly as much as how he has to capitalise every single word in his tweet.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  214
Initial post:  Dec 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions