Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gamers need to 'quiet down' says CA senator

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 101 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:26:55 PM PST
Oskar2525 says:
If these politicians need something to blame they should be blaming those Beatles with their crazy mop top haircuts and devil lyrics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:27:49 PM PST
Akin was the "womens' bodies can reject a legitimate rape" guy, right?

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:27:54 PM PST
Home Fried says:
Kids always know best. Think of all the eff ups adults keep making.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:28:19 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Yes. Among other crazypants things.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:29:54 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2013 2:49:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:31:23 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Keep it legitimate.

Condoms kill!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:32:49 PM PST
what the eff? ru srs?

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:33:49 PM PST
Sent this to Lee's email @ Senator.yee@senate.ca.gov:

As a former Californian (I lived near your district in Palo Alto, CA and was born in Burbank) and a gamer, I felt that I needed to respond to your request that gamers "quiet down" and accept the accusations leveled at our chosen hobby. You can probably guess by now that I'm not going to comply with your unconstitutional request (you must despise that pesky First Amendment). That same Amendment means that I don't have to defend the video game industry to you. Instead, I'd like to take this opportunity to bestow on you some much needed perspective. You don't even have to pay me! I know money is tight in the State of California.

You seem to have a problem with the "billion dollar" video game industry. It is true that they are a great source of employment, a great source of technological innovation, and very popular with the younger crowd that will eventually toss you out of office for what you've said. In almost every way it's different from the state government of California that is struggling to pay its bills and keep its populace employed.

No, I'm not just saying this to twist the proverbial knife. I'm saying this to incriminate you, Mr. Lee. In fact, you could easily make a claim that poor leadership drove California to the brink of total catastrophe. I believe leadership is what you claim to provide, correct? Any sociologist will tell you that poverty (and, indirectly, unemployment) is a major motivation for violent crimes such as armed robbery and home invasions . The environment you helped create in California's urban centers is toxic, and you don't need to conduct "future studies" to figure out that California's gang problem was around long before Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas parodied both their misdeeds = AND those of your notoriously brutal and violent police force.

So, I guess what I'm getting at, Mr. Lee, is that YOU are responsible for gun violence. Your "self-interest" in the form of lobbyist bribes, in the tragic way you and your ilk managed to flush one of the most affluent and profitable American states down the toilet. You helped foster the criminals who buy the guns, who supposedly draw inspiration from the media. Violent surroundings breed violence, you say? Need we point to the streets of Compton or Oakland?

I'm not one for violence, Senator. I don't own a gun or even a knife, but I have teeth. Many of the gamers that you spit on are the ones who forged this new world of instant information and incomparable social influence through networking. Our generation has different ways to strike. Ever heard of Rick Santorum? Jack Thompson? It wasn't a bullet that ended their dreams.

Good day Senator,

Evan Jenkins

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 2:35:15 PM PST
saskamazon says:
amazing ... & how have they come to lump all gamers in the same category ? many of us have games that would certainly not fall into a very violent category ... I mean Kirby hasn't had me out wanting to get an assault riffle . they always want to link these killers who go over the edge with video games ... come on, with global sales of COD, if the link was a strong one, would we not be seeing many more of these massacres ? it's a pass the buck mentality - b/c government fails to fund mental health resources to the degree they would need to, it's easier to blame video games & the people who play them ... maybe the senator needs to practice what he preaches & quiet down - since he is clearly uninformed ...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:38:54 PM PST
Yeah. It was last summer I think. He said that, and I want to say I remember another Republican saying something along the same lines aroumd that time but I forget who.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:41:23 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I think the other guy was something about "It's God's will for you to not abort a rape baby" but I don't remember who it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:42:04 PM PST
Well done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:45:29 PM PST
DVvM says:
Hey!

Let's not give crazypants a bad name here.

These pants are awesome: http://www.zubaz.com/Zubaz-Pants-Navy-BlueRed-Snakeskin-Zubaz-Pants-_-1572560676_PD.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:45:31 PM PST
saskamazon says:
thank goodness they made those statements when they did, I'm quite certain those interviews directly assisted the republicans in their loss ... good to know where they stand.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:46:02 PM PST
DVvM says:
I have to admit, if I didn't know you as well as I did, I would be extremely disturbed by this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:46:03 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I love it. But you should have added what "santorum" means nowadays.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:53:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 3:04:20 PM PST
Fair enough. I deleted it. Obviously I'm anti-rape, but I can understand that other people might not find it clever or humorous. There are certainly some things I don't like other people to joke about.

I think you know me me better than I know you. I only know the first three letters of your first name, DV. You know all of mine. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 3:02:30 PM PST
Home Fried says:
That's good to know. The world is at peace once again.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 3:09:01 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
-- An email sent to Leland Yee.

Mr. Leland Yee

You seem to believe you're aware of who and what people who play video games are. I'm a 38 year old Afro-American video game player. I began playing video games when I was 6, and have never stopped. I was raised by a single mother, as a latch-key kid, in a rough neighborhood. I didn't go to church, and am agnostic in my beliefs. I didn't have many friends in school, was the target of bullying and insults because of my weight, and never hurt a soul throughout it all. An uncle of mine, taught me how to shoot basic firearms when I was in my late teens. I currently hold down a job at a bank, have no children, and no addiction to alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs. I live with my mother, and help support the household. I, am the person both most likely to have succumbed to video game influence, using it to influence criminal behavior, and a person who has a firm moral compass and outlook on the law and a person's rights.
So there is no ambiguity about what you say and what I reference, I will reprint the statements you made in the San Francisco Chronicle: "Gamers have got to just quiet down. Gamers have no credibility in this argument. This is all about their lust for violence and the industry's lust for money. This is a billion-dollar industry. This is about their self-interest."
First, I find it personally disgusting, that you believe that gamers should be quiet on the matter of video games and the perception of violence coming from them. You believe that I should abandon my right to speak MY mind, because you want to turn pseudo-science and emotional outrage, into laws that will not effect any meaningful change in children's development? You wish to punish adults, for the decisions made or NOT made, by parents It is a PARENT'S right, and more importantly, their RESPONSIBILITY, to see what THEY believe may be influencing their child's development, and determine if it is proper. Further, by abrogating parental rights with government law, you create the legal position that a failure in a child's development, that subsequently leads to a mass shooting, is PARTLY the government's fault. After all, the government has taken responsibility for determining what is and isn't appropriate for a child. That responsibility, comes with legal consequences when there is a failure that leads to an actionable offense.
Second, your blanket generalization, that ALL video game players who comment on this issue, have a lust for violence, is degrading and uninformed. Almost EVERY gamer who plays first person shooter video games, has another form of game that they like as well. On my shelf, are games such as Max Payne 3, Farcry 3, and and Borderlands 2. But side by side with them, are the following:
- Rockstar's Table Tennis, a video game that captures very realistic CGI human animated characters as they play ping pong
- Guitar Hero III, a rhythm based musical game.
- Tropico 4, a city building game that parodies many of the famous political figures in American history
- Civilization Revolution, a Real Time Strategy Game, that parodies many of the famous historical figures from around the world
In closing sir, I find your beliefs reminiscent of another time in American history. When a group of people and politicians believed that emotional outrage, and suspect circumstances, gave them to violate the rights of others, for what they perceived as the security of others in the United States of America. And with a heart I'm sure was filled with righteous indignation, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, signed Executive Order 9066, and ordered the illegal forced emigration of Japanese American citizens in 1942. History can be thanked for vindicating the truth about the situation of the Japanese Americans during that time, who had neither intended or did harm to our country. But, a bad law, is STILL a bad law, regardless of the supposed and perceived public good it may do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 3:10:45 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, "Rumplestiltskin" isn't exactly an uncommon name.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 3:16:12 PM PST
Haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 3:38:56 PM PST
Sparhawk says:
Evan Jenkins! As a student of sharpened rhetoric, I salute your accomplishments in the matter.

I've been sitting on "Them coloreds need to quiet down" all day, but by the time I got to this thread it had already gone through 'funny' and 'profound' and didn't want to rile up the locals.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 3:49:48 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 25, 2013 3:54:41 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 3:49:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 3:58:41 PM PST
"I love it. But you should have added what "santorum" means nowadays"

Rofl, I think everyone in politics knows how badly that guy was crucified. I had to fight myself not to included the phrase "self-important piece of @#$%".

Deleted last post for double post

"You believe that I should abandon my right to speak MY mind, because you want to turn pseudo-science and emotional outrage, into laws that will not effect any meaningful change in children's development?"

Awesome Lord NinZend0. This is a war of voices. This is one time where we can actually win by merely making our minds known.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 10:41:25 PM PST
Anthony says:
the CA state legislature is hopelessly corrupt and/or incompetent.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  101
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions