Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:03:31 AM PST
RJMacReady says:
Does that rationalization apply to the entire Old Testament, the Ten Commandments, etc.? Or just the bits that you don't like?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:04:10 AM PST
FOGE says:
I've watched this. They were like marionettes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:04:59 AM PST
Some sects believe that those who wrote the Bible were directly inspired by God.

But if you want to argue that it was written by men and therefore imperfect, how do you decide which passages are God's Will, and which are the interpretation of God's Will by fallible man?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:08:34 AM PST
The whole thing, certainly.

I mean, I don't think any reasonable Christian honestly believes that Jesus cares whether or not they eat bacon. But many believe that Jesus wants them to hate gays. Well, if being gay is still a sin, so is eating unclean animals. The wages of sin is eternal death. There are no exceptions. There is no hierarchy of sins--they all send you to hell if you are not forgiven.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:09:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:11:56 AM PST
....Are you suggesting that moral standards only exist [and are infallible] in the Bible? If not why ask such an odd question?

I get mine from what I deem the collective moral zeitgeist.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:10:07 AM PST
FOGE says:
Was it directly translated by God? Each time?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:10:45 AM PST
FOGE says:
" I don't think any reasonable Christian honestly believes that Jesus cares whether or not they eat bacon"

Well, you have to pick your battles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:11:08 AM PST
RJMacReady says:
None of it is God's will. Men made it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:12:09 AM PST
Nightmare says:
Well, if that was your reasoning, I'd say you are using Christian principles to come to that decision. As a Christian, me using that line of reasoning is equivalent to saying that I am concerned that my Christian morals might be weakened if I hang around people with radically different morals than myself (which are actually tempting to give in to).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:12:38 AM PST
The implication of such a belief is that God inspired the translations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:15:22 AM PST
Nightmare says:
I'm just curious as to where you get your morals from. Since you get them from the collective opinion of the current time, that means that morals change as time goes by. That translates to -- Catholics killing non-believers was morally right since it was collectively the popular opinion at the time. If morals are as fickle as the collective opinion of the masses, then morality doesn't really have much weight in the scheme of things.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:15:55 AM PST
But the point is that they shouldn't. The Bible doesn't say, "Choose which of these rules to follow."

Either Jesus replaced the old laws with his new covenant (and nowhere does he mention that gays are sinners), or the old laws are still in effect and must be followed by Christians, in which case I hope they eat kosher and don't wear clothes made from more than one type of thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:16:41 AM PST
What about the morals of a fickle, jealous god?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:17:19 AM PST
I watched a Youtube clip a few months back... It was enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:18:13 AM PST
God, assuming it exists, is unaffected by the things people might say about what God says.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:19:49 AM PST
Nightmare says:
I don't believe that God is fickle, and in fact the God of the Bible is most certainly not fickle. And to the extent that God is jealous, it's jealousy over what he deserves as our Creator. He is not jealous over frivolous things. He is merely jealous over what he intrinsically is right to expect from us--our faith and love.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:20:50 AM PST
Banner says:
Yes....did you understand my point? I am putting your "principle" under scrutiny using the golden rule.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:22:08 AM PST
We do.

Figures you'd disappear from the VGF for months and then post in a religious thread!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:22:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 11:54:30 AM PST
Nice quick google.com search for a definition. Zeitgeist can also refer to the defining spirit of righteousness or cumulative tolerance of said time.

You can classify my morals as merely an opinion if you wish, but some of the 'opinions' presented in the New Testament seem to be very outdated and inconsistent with a loving, good, and righteous god/messiah.

This is made more apparent with the abolition of slavery and flourishing of women's rights in recent history.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:24:55 AM PST
Banner says:
Lol! I was hesitant! I have zero desire to post in the other forums and am surprised that I did here. Nightmares statement just hits waaay too close to home.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:25:13 AM PST
I believe beliefs do not matter, only actions.

As a wise drunkard/co-worker of mine once said to me, "you can believe whatever you want, it don't change the facts". He then went on to tell me about his belief in an alien who lives on the dark side of the moon named Iown, as in I own the earth.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:25:38 AM PST
Nightmare says:
Yes, that was clearly your point. My point is that I don't see why that line of reasoning would apply to a non-Christian. But whatever reason you have for treating people differently (not badly, mind you), be it personality, hobbies, or other personal reasons, I don't see any problem with it. Plenty of my family members don't have much to do with me and they are Christians. People have various reasons for treating people differently apart from just religion. That was my point.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:28:11 AM PST
Nightmare says:
Again, if historical changes reveal something about morality, then morality is completely relative. If that's the case, burning people at the stake could become "moral" again.

And again, to say that morals in the Bible are outdated implies that you know what true morals are. But if they are merely a product of the times, then we could once again find the morals of the Bible to be the true morals in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:28:57 AM PST
You're right, actually. I shouldn't have used the word fickle, because he isn't. He's pretty much consistently evil.

He killed the entire population of the world except for one family. He killed David's son for David's sin. He had Joshua invade, destroy, and slaughter entire cities of people, down to the women, children, and cattle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 11:31:25 AM PST
Nightmare says:
What is your measure for evil? How do you know what is moral or evil?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions