Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: NFL Rules Question

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 11, 2012 1:41:29 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I cannot find it on the Internet, so I will ask you fine folks:

During the Buffalo game there was incomplete pass in the final two minutes of the game, and the receiver was injured and they were charged a timeout. Why was the timeout taken for an incomplete pass as the clock was stopped?

A couple of weeks ago the same thing happened but the team was not charged a timeout....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:42:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:50:51 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Googling, brb...

Edit: Sorry, I got nothing.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:43:34 PM PST
The timeout was probably taken by the team so that if the injury was something like cramps or a stinger the injured player could play the next play rather than sitting out for 1 play

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:44:09 PM PST
Modern Wolf says:
I think they always charge a timeout to the team that player is injured on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:45:06 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
But it seems that it is not as earlier this year teams did not get charged a timeout.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:47:01 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Also, the official box score shows that they were charged two injury timeouts including that one.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:49:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:54:58 PM PST
DVvM says:
Rule 4 Section 5 Articles 2 - 4 of the NFL rulebook deal with this.

Article 2
INJURY TIMEOUTS
If an official determines a player to be injured, or if attendants from the bench come on the field to assist an injured player, an injury timeout will be called by the Referee.
Approved Ruling. 4.7 Runner A1 is tackled and appears injured since he does not move.
Ruling: Official should call timeout for injured player. Official should not try to determine if player is injured. Timeout is not charged if conditions are not violated.

Article 3
INJURY TIMEOUTS PRIOR TO TWO-MINUTE WARNING OF EITHER HALF
When an injury timeout is called, the injured player must leave the game for the completion of one down. The player will be permitted to remain in the game if:
(a) either team calls a charged team timeout;
(b) the injury is the result of a foul by an opponent; or
(c) the period ends or the two-minute warning occurs before the next snap.
At the conclusion of an injury timeout, the game clock will start as if the injury timeout had not occurred. If either team takes, or is charged with, a timeout, the clock will start on the snap.

Article 4
INJURY TIMEOUTS AFTER TWO-MINUTE WARNING OF EITHER HALF
After the two-minute warning of a half, the following shall apply:
(a) If a team has not used its three charged team timeouts, the team of the injured player will be charged a team timeout, unless:
-(i)the injury is the result of a foul by an opponent;
-(ii) the injury occurs during a down in which there is a change of possession, a successful field goal, or an attempted Try; or
-(iii) the opponent calls a timeout.

(b) If a team has used its three charged team timeouts, an excess team timeout shall be called by the Referee, unless:
-(i) the injury is the result of a foul by an opponent;
-(ii) the injury occurs during a down in which there is a change of possession, a successful field goal, or an attempted Try; or
-(iii) the opponent calls a timeout.

This is more or less all you need to know about the topic. Though article 4 goes on to describe how you will be assessed a 5 yard delay of game penalty for every excess time out due to injury you accrue past the first inside of the 2 minute warning.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:51:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 1:52:26 PM PST
SMH says:
I believe it is to deter players from faking injuries in order to, for example, slow down a no huddle offense, which would allow time for the defense to substitute, etc. It stops one team from getting additional timeouts without actually having to use one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:58:03 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
But Dez Bryant when the pass was incomplete and he was hurt was not charged a timeout last week....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:59:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 2:00:07 PM PST
DVvM says:
Did Dallas have a time our remaining in that case?

If they did not, they would be given an excess time out by the referee pursuant to Rule 4 Section 4 Article 4(b).

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:59:56 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I guess that I am confused as it was an offensive player and the pass was incomplete and so the clock would not run anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:00:47 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I think they did.....The play was getting reviewed though, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 2:01:54 PM PST
im pretty good with the rules but these last two years have been complete chaos.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:03:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 2:04:35 PM PST
DVvM says:
Oh, then the rule for injury time out is superseded by the rule for Replay Official's Request for Review (this is in Rule 15 section 9):

"After the two-minute warning of each half, throughout any overtime period, and after all scoring plays and turnovers, any Referee Review will be initiated by a Replay Official. There is no limit to the number of Referee Reviews that may be initiated by the Replay Official. He must initiate a review before the next legal snap or kick and cannot initiate a review of any ruling against a team that commits a foul to prevent the next snap. His ability to initiate a review will be unrelated to the number of time outs that either team has remaining, and no time out will be charged for any review initiated by the Replay Official."

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 2:08:11 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
It just seems odd that an offensive team would get charged a timeout during an incomplete pass as the clock is stopped anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:08:54 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Hey, can you give me the links?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:11:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 2:18:19 PM PST
DVvM says:
You will want the 2011 rules:
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2011_Rule_Book.pdf

Plus the 2012 rule changes:
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2_2012_Rules_Changes.pdf

It's good to be able to look up the actual rules, since the announcers usually don't give you a good sense of them (announcers are fond of just making up rules like "throwing a punch is an automatic ejection" or "simultaneous possession" neither of which are actually rules.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:14:58 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Thanks!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Nov 11, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions