Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The Official Guild Wars 2 VGF Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 678 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:08:50 AM PDT
I'd love to give it a go.

If we can get a decent 5-man group together (and we can get in without any bugs), I think we'll have a good time.

I know Rip wanted to do a run and he should be 30 tonight. I still haven't done my story quest in there.

I switched my thief build around last night a bit. Instead of poison I'm going for power/crit. I hit 650 power or so at level 40 and have a 28% crit chance. None of my armor has any runes yet though.

Since I'm not building for condition damage I might start using sword/dagger or sword/pistol.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 6:14:56 AM PDT
IPhantom says:
Pretty much everything I read about this dungeon has said that it is not melee friendly at all, and you'll pretty much want to play ranged if at all possible. I don't know if ppl are saying that because nobody has really figured out how to play the group dynamics yet, but it would seem to be a big design flaw if everyone (including war and guard) has to play ranged. Hopefully if we have some time to try some different stategies in the dungeon we can start to figure some of this out on our own and then run others in the guild through it.

In any event, there is still a ton more to learn about the game and class design. I probably won't have a strong sense of how to best design my eng build until I get to cap and can play around with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:18:51 AM PDT
Sars says:
I read on the formums that if you try to bump your ticket, it goes to the back of the line.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:23:35 AM PDT
If it's anything like GW1, it's all about condition control, interrupts, etc.

I'm sure many of the people playing GW2's dungeons are used to wow dungeons, which rely on a tank to hold aggro.

As GW2 doesn't use the traditional aggro system or the holy trinity, many people don't understand how to overcome the mechanics in a smaller group.

Timing plays a big part. If you see an enemy prepping a big skill, it needs to be interrupted. Group dynamics probably plays a big part. We'll need people with condition removing abilities, group heals, AoE buffs and debuffs, etc.

If everyone runs in with the mind-set that they can use the same straight damage dealing skills they use in group zerging, then the group will more than likely fail. Skills can't just be spammed to overcome many of the obstacles.

Last night I activated a skill point with my thief and had to solo a veteran ettin of the same level. Wasn't a cake walk. It took me about 3 minutes to take him down while managing my endurance for dodges, evasion tactics, and stacking various conditions on him and buffing myself. It was a real eye opener on the tactics required for some of the higher level thief play. It was difficult. Especially when he 1-shot me with an ability. If I hadn't also been fighting the tiny raptors he spawned, I would never have been able to stand back up. I still had to move, stealth, then heal while downed before I could kill a raptor and rejoin the fight. Huge sense of accomplishment when he went down though!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:24:29 AM PDT
Well, submitting information to them that was requested shouldn't be considered a "bump" to the end of the line. If that's the case, then it is even more terrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:30:51 AM PDT
IPhantom says:
Yeah. I never played GW1, so all I really know is WoW-ish group dungeons. On a solo level I get the whole timing thing. Though tough, I can take out vets that are the same level as my engineer. I just have yet to take part in any group stuff more complex than a zerg, so running a 5 man will be new for me, but I'm happy to be trying something new.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 6:41:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 6:41:36 AM PDT
I think we'll have a blast. :)

I don't know how aggro works in GW2 yet, but in GW1 an enemy went for the person with the lowest armor, then the person with the lowest HP, unless it was blocked or intercepted by someone else first. It also had to deal with linked aggro bubbles that would kind of look like a venn diagram. There aren't any visible aggro bubbles in GW2 though.

There were a lot of little intricate details in GW1 that I didn't know much about for the first year or two I played. If you were on higher terrain than an enemy your bow would shoot and deal more damage farther away based on the height distance. It would benefit arches to remain above enemies when attack. I wonder if that carried into GW2?

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 6:58:53 AM PDT
J. Lee says:
I'm going to try my best to get my mesmer on tonight.. all depending if we're going to Nashville or not. I'm central time, so about what time will you guys try to do this? Also, I'll have to reskill the mesmer abilities to conditional dmg and removal of buffs, etc.. in my traits tree. I do however have an amazing, and by no means is that a small amazing, I mean AMAZING skill called "Time Warp" where it creates an AoE bubble for the group and everyone's skill delay is cut by half! So double the dmg, double the everything :) Only lasts 10 seconds, but that's a huge surge of DPS.. if I do say so myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 7:18:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 7:18:49 AM PDT
That's an awesome elite!

I'm swapping between three of them.

I like Thieves Guild (+2 ally thieves spawn), but they evaporate in 1/2 a second if the boss deals AoE. Good for trash mobs though. Or I like Avatar of Grenth (+ slow, poison, skill reduction for enemy, etc) and the mistfire wolf from the deluxe edition.

I'm 9 skill points away from getting Hounds of Balthazar (spawn two hellfire wolves). I *really* want that one!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 7:58:47 AM PDT
Hey guys,

Got an invite to the guild yesterday! thanks to whoever did that!

I'm on the brink of 24. I could probably get 30 tonight so maybe I'll be ready for some dungeons if you got room. If I can't make it I'll definitely be 30 on Saturday. Super excited.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:09:24 AM PDT
How long does AC take? I should have a couple hours to play tonight after work.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 8:17:56 AM PDT
Good question. I'm not entirely sure myself, but it would be good to know!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 8:18:45 AM PDT
Sounds good!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 8:51:43 AM PDT
Sars says:
I know i was just letting you know, I dont know what they consider a bump. I agree it is dumb if that is how it works

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 8:55:39 AM PDT
Sars says:
cant wait till i hit level 30 and can start doing some dungions. I think im at 17 righ now, but after i finish this area i will have a lot of stuff i can craft so hopefully it will bump me up a couple levels

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 9:02:37 AM PDT
True. I hope it isn't!

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 9:03:24 AM PDT
Just remember that story dungeons are 30,40,50,etc, but the open non-story parts of those dungeons are level 35,45,55, etc.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 9:17:54 AM PDT
One way that WoW is better than GW2 is that there are a lot of low level instances that you can run way before you hit 30. Heck, there are 5 that I can think of off of the top of my head. I hope that they eventually add some content for the lower end of the spectrum.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 9:20:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 9:21:51 AM PDT
Well, every single story mission is an instance and you can run them with a group.

Not to mention all the real-world events and bosses. I found four chests last night that I could open at the end of events. One was hidden really well, but the other 3 were pretty out in the open.

The swamp boss can be taken on around level 10 or 11, and there are many events similar to that in other starter areas.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 9:48:57 AM PDT
I've been playing a ton of GW 2. I rolled on Stormbluff Isle to play with a few friends. My main's name is Hikkis (bonus points for anyone that can tell me what game he's from).

Realized I was absorbed into the game when I spent an entire day playing, and all I did was ran around every city exploring them all for 100%.

I know the story missions are instanced, but is it possible to ever repeat them, or are they all one-and-done?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 9:59:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 10:00:16 AM PDT
If you and your friends are looking for a growing guild we're at 33 or so members and rising. Just finished our guild bank and are working towards using the +10% magic find buff on weekends next.

We're also based in Stormbluff Isle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 9:59:57 AM PDT
They're one and done per character, unfortunately. You can review them all under the 'my story' tab though under your hero properties.

Story dungeons can be repeated, but they become open instances with branching paths at that point.

Posted on Sep 7, 2012 12:19:07 PM PDT
So, I just realized the GW1 achievements that carry over are only worth 2 achievement points each in GW2. In comparison, I think killing 10 different types of enemies in a day is equivalent to 10 achievement points? So, really not much of a boost there from linking accounts. Except for the item bonuses which are nice.

Speaking of the item bonuses, aren't I supposed to have some sort of crystal thing that warps me to my GW2 HoM? I never received anything in my mail or anything if that's where it comes from, so I've never been able to access my GW2 HoM as of yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 12:20:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2012 12:21:10 PM PDT
You can pick it up in major cities from someone. There's a link on here somewhere on where to claim them.

Or check the GW2 online FAQ. They have the information there as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2012 4:43:04 PM PDT
Thanks! I'll do a google search... probably shoulda done that already anyways :P
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  678
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions