Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Nintendo's triumph in Japan may doom the company internationally

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 6:37:25 AM PST
Lucanus says:
"The problem here is that the Japanese success of the 3DS may now be convincing Nintendo that it does not have to reconsider its business strategy. The smartphone and tablet game spending continues growing explosively across the world. Unlike console games, mobile game sales in China are legal. The global gaming spending is shifting towards new hardware platforms even as console mammoths like Halo still reign in America. At this critical juncture, Nintendo has managed to cocoon its home market in a web of nostalgia, turning the 3DS console and its Eighties left-over franchises into epic bestsellers yet again.

This means that there is no sense of urgency to push Nintendo into rethinking its long-term plans. The company may continue simply ignoring the smartphone and tablet challenge, designing new portable consoles and the 28th Mario game to support it. Twenty years ago, Japan's insularity doomed its chances to succeed in the mobile phone business. And now the idiosyncratic nature of Japan may be leading its biggest entertainment industry success astray."

http://alturl.com/hvt5f

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:39:15 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Nintendo may move at a snails pace with technology, but they don't just let their products sit out there and fail. They pulled the Virtual Boy in like 3 hours because it failed. They dropped the price of the 3DS by $80 to boost sales. Even if they continue to make under powered hardware, there is a substantial market out there that will still buy it solely to play their first party games.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:40:12 AM PST
Kendahl says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:41:51 AM PST
All businesses are out there to make money. By them living in the past so much they do not have to spend money to develop new IP's until the last second.

They will not leave a market untapped, it doesnt make sense.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:42:08 AM PST
Jon says:
There isn't a kid who doesn't know who Mario is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:44:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:47:19 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I would imagine it is hard to spend money on a new IP when Mario Kart and NSMB both sold more than any ps3 and 360 game released. Each broke 20+ million before being bundled. Mario Galaxy broke 9 million. I imagine Nintendo is taking a "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" attitude with their characters. Just a thought, I don't work for Nintendo so I can't say for sure. :)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:45:37 AM PST
"Nintendo has managed to cocoon its home market in a web of nostalgia, turning the 3DS console and its Eighties left-over franchises into epic bestsellers yet again."

Troll article is fail.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:47:17 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
This article reads like it was written by a literate version of Doug.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:48:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:52:21 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I was thinking the same thing, especially the part "bestsellers yet again." What generation did Nintendo not have some of the best selling software. Even with the GC that was outsold by the ps2 5:1, first party games still sold very well. I don't get the "yet again" part. Thanks for bringing that up Punk. :)

Edit:
The GC sold 30 million, while Mario Kart and Smash sold 7 million. Sunshine sold 5 million and Wind Waker 3 million, the attach ratio is quite high.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:48:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 6:49:27 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Sounds jealous.

EDIT: I mean the author of this article, not you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:49:38 AM PST
PacinoBully says:
Does not compute.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:51:12 AM PST
I've said it a million times, they could put out a Mario, Zelda, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Gears etc. game every year and as long as they are high quality, I'll happily play every one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:52:35 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
All of those are rehashes with the exception of the Sony games because they are more Sonyer than the others. Duh.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:16:39 AM PST
I love how often they try to declare doom for Nintendo. Nintendo has Triple OG status, they have been around this long for a reason.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:18:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 10:07:24 AM PST
That writer sounds so salty.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:23:12 AM PST
Anthony says:
i'm going to have to let out a big "meh" to this article.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:36:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 7:37:28 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Nintendo has positioned itself in reaction to the growing mobile market. It does so by not playing catch up with new bleeding edge technological advances that appear to need upgrading every other season, and by also not directly catering to the consumer that finds 99 cent time passers as an acceptable substitute to traditional gaming. Nintendo has reacted by marketing itself as a stand alone entity that that offers a unique and sometimes eccentric experience that cannot be found anywhere else. They also apply a pretty different marketing pattern that employs those that are already within the Nintendo ecosystem to motivate others to share their personal experiences while unintentionally becoming viral marketers themselves as shown by the entire concept of miiverse.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 7:40:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 7:41:37 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Man I still don't get how the 3DS is such a beast in japan ..
Just for the record, they sold 319.025 units last week, WHAT THE HELL JAPAN! Do they buy 5 systems per household?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:23:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 8:24:21 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Honestly, even though I love Nintendo, I don't get it either. The 3DS is rolling in Japan, it already passed ps3 lifetime sales. It averages 200-300k a week. Amazing how well it is doing and I don't really get why. Though Rythm Final Fantasy, bought it on my iPad, might be the best portable game ever made IMHO. :)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:43:16 AM PST
This may as well have been written by an 8 year old. Why even bother posting this? Tough to imagine.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:44:38 AM PST
Maybe....JUST maybe the 3DS is doing so well because games sell consoles and portables; not technology...Maybe...

MAYBE!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:45:22 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I posted it, because today apparently is a slow day on the forums. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:46:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 8:46:43 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
But it's not working in the West, sales are going down .. people don't want to keep paying $40 for portable games because there are many, many cheaper alternatives. And these also games rarely go down in price.
Japan, in the other hand, I can't understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:28:29 AM PST
That must be why so many of us own the 3DS and Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:32:46 AM PST
HorizonBrave says:
Because we're dedicated gamers? I own a 3DS, surpriseeeee!!
Also, your sarcasm intentions are not cool.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions