Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 11, 2014 11:27:55 AM PDT
D20 fans, take a look at the 13th Age RPG by Pelgrane Press. You can still get in on the ground floor (there's really two books you would need: the core and expansion), and it's a very effective streamlining the core D&D experience with a decidedly narrativist bent. D&D veterans who predate 3rd edition probably understand that D&D took a hard left turn towards G&S with that edition, which was in part to its detriment.

It's also really simple for newbie players, though it does ask for the GM than any other system (as there's a considerable amount of narrative ad-libbing on the part of the GM, but this is really how it should be.)

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 10:52:45 AM PDT
I'd love to try one sometime. Never played one before.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2014 10:42:17 AM PDT
Narusko says:
I know i would enjoy it, been a while since i played a tabletop game. Miss my VTM, but i am open to other games as well.

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 10:34:18 AM PDT
Someday.

Maybe.

Possibly?

Posted on Aug 11, 2014 3:49:06 AM PDT
Back from the dead because I can. BUMP!

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2014 7:24:55 PM PDT
Bump away!

Librum.

Posted on May 25, 2014 7:23:48 PM PDT
FV says:
Sorry doing this to get rid of spoiler thread. BUMP

Posted on May 25, 2014 6:19:48 PM PDT
Roll to hit, natural 20! Critical bump!

Librum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 7:21:06 PM PDT
That is neat, my halfling warpriest would throw rocks at people.

Librum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 7:10:40 PM PDT
Warpriest is mostly for those people who complain that Clerics don't get heavy armor proficiency anymore. Previously they'd just done that with archetypes (Your Magus isn't fighterey enough? Take the Kensai archetype), but I guess now they're doing it with classes and will modify the class with archetypes later.

The ones I really like thematically are the Shaman and the Skald (your bardic song equivalent gives everybody the benefit of barbarian rage, assuming they want it). The Swashbuckler is probably a better idea for a class than the Gunslinger was to begin with.

Posted on May 24, 2014 7:08:12 PM PDT
Looking through the ACG itself, not the playtest, but that's a lot of gish-in-a-cans. Some of the ideas seem cool, though from my very brief gloss of it, I'm not sure how mechanically sound they are compared to a lot of the base classes they're drawn from. I'll have to take a closer look later, though.

The warpriest I'm not sure I really get mechanically. I mean, a cleric is already a really potent divine gish.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 7:07:08 PM PDT
The Warpriest class is neat, it has a class feature where you choose a "sacred weapon" (not necessarily your deity's favored weapon) and the base damage of any weapon of that type is dependent on your level in the Warpriest class, not on what kind of weapon it is. So if you ever wanted to wield the world's deadliest whip, barstool, or grappling hook then there you go.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 7:05:57 PM PDT
Well I certainly don't mind more options. Not that we'll get to play them...

Librum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 7:03:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2014 7:07:04 PM PDT
IIRC (I read it Thursday, the PDF is free on the website since it's a playtest), the combo classes are Arcanist (Sorc+Wiz), Bloodrager (Barbarian + Sorcerer), Brawler (Fighter+Monk), Hunter (Ranger+Druid), Investigator (Alchemist+Rogue), Shaman (Oracle + Witch), Skald (Bard + Fighter), Slayer (Ranger+Rogue), Swashbuckler (Fighter+Gunslinger), and Warpriest (Cleric+Fighter).

Pathfinder has 19 classes already, we'll probably end up with 342 mashup classes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 6:54:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2014 6:54:54 PM PDT
Sorcerer and wizard? That's the strangest combination, their practically the same class. I really do like some combination classes though, Duskblade is obviously a favorite.

Librum.

Posted on May 24, 2014 6:40:04 PM PDT
Has anybody read the playtest for the Advanced Classes Guide for Pathfinder? Those people are nuts, the new thing is "mashup classes" ("Brawler" is Monk+Fighter, "Warpriest" is Fighter+Cleric, "Arcanist" is Sorcerer+Wizard, "Bloodrager" is Barbarian+Sorcerer, etc.)

They're really serious about this "putting an end to multiclassing" thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2014 6:30:19 PM PDT
I meant the thread, obviously I'm alive.

Librum.

Posted on May 24, 2014 6:23:50 PM PDT
And, believe me, I am still alive.

Posted on May 24, 2014 6:20:45 PM PDT
Not dead yet.

Librum.

Posted on May 23, 2014 8:26:17 PM PDT
And it's back on page one baby!

Librum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 11:29:57 PM PDT
Nicos says:
Ohh, that sounds pretty cool.

I am tempted to check out new Star Wars system they have. The "Storyteller" system? A guy I work with was describing it and it sounds fun.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 9:13:12 AM PDT
I loved the sphere system, got banned from playing mages way too many times.

Librum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 8:54:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 20, 2014 9:03:22 AM PDT
Of the WoD games, Werewolf is the fightiest, but it has significantly fewer combat options than Exalted. Exalted actually has my favorite combat mechanic ever: If you describe something in such a way that it sounds really cool, you get bonus dice.

Exalted was all about taking the core WW combat system, streamlining it, and adding more cool stuff. The "Charm" system in Exalted is more versatile than the Gift system in WW, the discipline system in V:tM, the Arcanoi system in Wraith, the Contract system in Changeling, etc. It's probably not as versatile as the Sphere system in Mage, but it's less abstract and does more right out of the box.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 8:52:00 AM PDT
I always though of werewolf as the fightiest WW game, never did play exalted though.

Librum.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2014 5:45:32 AM PDT
Yeah, but the thing D&D has going for it is that it's got a really robust combat system that works fairly effectively at all levels. Every game that White Wolf has ever put out has had problems with extreme or edge cases in combat (take Exalted, for example, which is probably WW's "fightiest" game-- the mightiest heroes in creation are no match for a dozen commoners with mauls.)

If you want to do stuff other than "fighting" and "combat optimization" your best bet is everything other than D&D, but you'll find that the fighting may not work as well elsewhere.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 99 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  2472
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions