Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

3DS vs Vita

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 110 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2013 11:32:46 PM PDT
Which do you like better? And please, give valid reasons.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:35:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 11:47:11 PM PDT
3DS ≠ Vita, maybe?

I guess I personally prefer a PS Vita over a 3DS, but it really all comes down to personal taste. The Vita, in general, has more games I am personally interested in. 3DS has a stellar library as well (I mean, Ocarina of Time!)

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:41:08 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Vita. It has access to the PS1 and PSP back catalogs (read: I've downloaded every single-player Final Fantasy from the PS1 on back), and I just don't dig Nintendo's IPs enough to justify buying a 3DS. Also, I get free* games for the Vita fairly regularly with my PS+ subscription. I'm also intrigued by how it will integrate with the PS4.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:43:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:44:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:46:27 PM PDT
Zero says:
3DS, because it is justifiable to get with the amount of games it has along with its price, unlike the Vita, in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 11:54:39 PM PDT
HorizonBrave says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 12:05:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 12:09:16 AM PDT
3DS by a good margin.

Games like 3D Land, Kart 7, OoT 3D, Star Fox, Kid Icarus, the two Resident Evils, NSMB2, Dead or Alive, Epic Mickey, Paper Mario and Fire Emblem make a really good platform(quickly becoming one of my favorite of all-time). Of course, we got Luigi's Mansion, Monster Hunter, Donkey Kong, Project X Zone, Pokemon X/Y, Mario and Luigi among others coming this year so it'll be even better.

Also, the 3DS eShop has good offerings. Pushmo, Crashmo, Mighty Switch Force!, Mutant Mudds, NightSky and Dillon's Rolling Western are all good titles. In addition, the 3DS VC is pretty good. With some really good GB,GBC,NES and GG titles to choose from. The 3DS is BC, playing DS games on it is pretty neat.

The Vita is a good system too. Assassin's Creed, LittleBigPlanet, Gravity Rush and a healthy amount of solid console ports(Mortal Kombat, UMVC3, Rayman Origins etc.) make a worthwhile handheld. We also got Soul, Killzone and Tearaway coming for the Vita.

The Vita's digital library is nice, even better if you have plus. Although not fully BC, the Vita has some PSP games on it as well as some PS1 titles.

Overall, both are worthwhile systems but I prefer the 3DS over it thanks to it's solid software with a good amount of killer apps on it already.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 12:11:11 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 12:13:37 AM PDT
Pushmo? What game is that?

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 12:16:05 AM PDT
Kap'n Krunch, are you a nintendo fan? I never see those here anymore. I am one too, so eon't feel left out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 12:23:10 AM PDT
Huge Nintendo fan here, yes. I don't feel left out despite the fact that the Sony friends downvote bomb me sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 12:23:20 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
*shrugs* Hey, the OP asked for personal preference. They could legitimately disagree if I said the Vita was the better system, but it's kind of silly to say "I don't agree that you like the Vita better."

In any event, my life is much better for ignoring the anonymous downvote fairies.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 12:24:51 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
By the way, I've got nothing against Nintendo. They make some great games; it just so happens I don't enjoy their games as much as most other people.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 2:46:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 2:46:59 AM PDT
Cats Go Nyan says:
It's hard to say. Nintendo always has great games, so there's always something good to play. But I really like the Vita, it just feels fun to play with. And whenever Full Frontal Assault finally get released for the Vita, I'll have a R&C game to play on there.

I'm about 50/50.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 4:08:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 4:22:29 AM PDT
Breeze says:
Visuals:
3DS has 3D while Vita has HD. Verdict: draw.

Functionality:
3DS has 1 analogue stick (upgradeable to 2) and two screens, one of which is a touchscreen. Vita has 2 analogue sticks, one touchscreen, and one touchpad. The Vita can handle every Cracked.com page I've thrown at it while the 3DS browser occasionally crashes causing me to have to restart it, and for that I give the advantage to the Vita.

Games:
The 3DS has a plethora of games of various quality. The Vita has a few games that are either really good or really bad. 3DS can play any DS game and has several older games available for download from the e-Shop. Vita can download several great PSP, PSOne, and "mini" games from the PSN. The 3DS has a better selection of games you can pick up and play for a few minutes as well as some really great titles such as Kid Icarus: Uprising, but the Vita has more games that are compelling such as Persona 4 Golden. I'd give the advantage to the 3DS, but the Vita isn't region locked, so my verdict is another tie.

Final Verdict:
If I had a preference for one over the other, I'd have bought Zero Escape by now. My 3DS is my go to platform for casual games and SMT Devil Survivor, but when I know I'll have an extended period of time to play games or want to browse the web, I tend to go with my Vita.
EDIT: for clarity about the browser thing.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 4:18:57 AM PDT
So far, I prefer the 3DS due to its library and backward compatibility with the DS library. Here are some of my favorite retail 3DS games:

* Fire Emblem: Awakening
* Resident Evil: Revelations
* Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars
* Super Mario 3D Land
* Zelda OoT
* Rhythm Thief
* SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked
* Kid Icarus: Uprising
* Bit.Trip Saga
* Cave Story 3D
* Dr. Lautrec & the Forgotten Knights

Currently in my 3DS retail backlog: Etrian Odyssey IV, New Super Mario Bros. 2, Tales of the Abyss, Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, Paper Mario Sticker Star, Final Fantasy: Theatrythm, Castlevania LoS: Mirror of Fate.

Coming soon: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, SMT Soul Hackers, Rune Factory 4, Monster Hunter 3, Animal Crossing.

There are also tons of very good and inexpensive games available in the Nintendo eShop, ranging from VC and 3D Classics to DSiWare and 3DSWare specifically designed for the 3DS (Mighty Switch Force, Pushmo, and Fractured Soul are among my favorites). And, of course, the DS library is arguably the most robust of any handheld to date.

I do also enjoy the Vita. From a hardware perspective, it's a beauty, and there are a few retail Vita games that I have enjoyed so far. Among my favorites:

* Gravity Rush
* Disgaea 3
* LBP
* Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (This is also available on the 3DS, but that version is a little buggy, so you have to be carefully about where/when you save, which is a disadvantage.)

Currently in my Vita retail backlog: Uncharted Golden Abyss (not sure if I'll actually go back to it) and Persona 4 Golden (very excited about!).

Coming soon: Soul Sacrifice, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown.

There are also tons of very good games available on the PSN, ranging from some of the PS1 Classics and PSP games to new offerings specifically designed for the Vita (Escape Plan, Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, and Sound Shapes are my favorites so far). I think it's pretty cool that if you get a year of PS+, you have access to a nice starter collection of games that most people have enjoyed for no additional charge or discounted prices.

So it mostly depends on what kinds of games you prefer and perhaps also how much value you place on raw technical specs in and of themselves. For me personally, the 3DS wins out, but I do enjoy both systems.

**Live Green. Recycle Your Answers.™**

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 4:21:57 AM PDT
Aku says:
It's pretty saddening that the Vita games have been so generally meh that their new tactic has is to give em away for "free" to push overpriced (and slow) memory cards. Hell last I checked there was still a 100-app limit on the memory cards regardless of storage space. According to that Japanese direct thing, we have three or four games that involve smacking giant unflinching monsters with an oversized weapon to look forward to, while there's genres of all kinds heading to the 3DS.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:19:06 AM PDT
The Drizzle says:
its hard to compare. i enjoy them both. they both offer a different experience for me. i think nintendo/sony did a great job with both.

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 5:21:09 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
I prefer 3DS myself. The breadth and depth of the game library is unmatched. A 2D and a 3D Mario game, Ocarina of Time, Starfox, Mario Kart, Professor Layton and plenty more, backed by an enormous catalog of playable DS games. There is plenty in every genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:22:29 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask is the best puzzle game I have ever played. You should move it up in the backlog order.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:33:09 AM PDT
Yeah, I'll be traveling at the end of this month, so I've been saving some good stuff for then. I'm a huge fan of the PL series. Have you played the others?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:37:43 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
I have solved every puzzle in every game, including bonus and downloadables. So, I consider myself a qualified fan. Some of the Puzzlemaster's House puzzles are quite difficult.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:43:41 AM PDT
Awesome, same here with the previous titles. I'm really excited about getting to play the latest installment soon. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 5:51:51 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
This is basically me though I will say there are some great games for the 3DS.

The balance for me is I LOVE lpaying on teh Vita while playing on the 3DS (not XL) is far less fun. The floppy top screen, single analog nub, and flickery 3D are all a PITA.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 6:24:51 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
The XL is a dramatic improvement from the original 3DS
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  110
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2013
Latest post:  May 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions