Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy S III ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 8:37:06 AM PST
I am trading up from my Droid 2 and was trying to decide between the iPhone 5 or Samsung Galaxy III.

Does anyone recommend either and with reasons as to why?

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:41:12 AM PST
You can't go wrong with either. I would personally go with the Galaxy III because Android is an open platform. It really comes down to whether or not you have lots of content on either ecosystem or if you prefer Apple's walled garden experience to Android's "anything goes" experience.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:43:07 AM PST
I passed on both and got a Lumia 920

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:44:33 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I'd avoid the Galaxy S III as it's got a lot of reception problems. I'd look at the Note 2 instead if you want a high end Samsung. It's a quad core anyway (versus dual in the S III) and has a slightly larger screen and is supposed to work okay.

If I had it available, I'd look at the Nexus 4 too as it's a "pure" Google/Android phone that should actually get timely updates for quite a while the way Apple's stuff does. It's only available for the GSM/HSPA carriers though. (And usually out of stock!) I would DEFINITELY get that over a Galaxy S III and probably over a Note II even with the smaller 4.8"-ish screen because of the updates. Motorola has some good phones too.

The iPhone 5's ability to sync with a PC is really cool, works better than any other mobile OS. Handles podcasts much better than anything else (Android I'd have to switch back to 2004-esque manually copying podcasts over, remembering where they are, deleting them, etc., huge pain).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 8:44:42 AM PST
I had a Droid X and upped to an iPhone 4S. I am rather pleased with the switch from Android to iOS.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:45:23 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:47:21 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Droid DNA. I actually finally got a Windows phones but the camera was lousy so I traded to the DNA and paid the restocking fee. It's an amazing phone. Read the reviews. Only negative is that it doesn't have expandable memory.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 8:49:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 8:49:11 AM PST
Thanks WolfPup, that Note 2 is smexy. I think I may go with it.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:49:28 AM PST
Diablo says:
I have a GS3 and it's the best smartphone I've ever owned, period. The hype on it is well-deserved.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:49:32 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:50:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 8:51:01 AM PST
Iphone 5 is a good phone my GF has one solid build and works well, I have an Samsung S2 and will be waiting on the S4, the S2 is the best smartphone I have ever had and I did have a iphone 3gs.

It just depends on the user do you want apple to decide what is best which usually works really well or do you want more options and the ability to change or customize the options and look of your phone and a bigger screen. I choose the screen and more options but both are good phones.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:52:55 AM PST
If you're on Sprint, the HTC Evo LTE is IMO slightly better than the SIII, a better skin (sense is a pretty good skin) and it looks a lot more professional. I can't speak to the One X which is the version they created for other carriers.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:52:56 AM PST
IPhantom says:
I've got a Note 2 and couldn't be more pleased. Definitely on the large side and takes some getting used to though. I would at least take a look and consider it if I were you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 8:56:44 AM PST
I am Verizon only.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:57:42 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:45 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 8:58:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:00:15 AM PST
Diablo says:
Reception problems? I haven't experienced any on Verizon, nor have I read anyone else having that problem. (Not saying you're wrong)

I'll second the vote for the Note 2 though. I upgraded my wife's Droid X to the Note 2 and what a device! It took everything about the S3 and made it bigger/better/faster/stronger.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 8:59:38 AM PST
T-Bone 2.0 says:
Note 2 is solid. The Samsung line is awesome but battery life isn't great. Just sent this from my Galaxy Nexus.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:01:00 AM PST
The Galaxy is pretty nice. I like it better than the iphone. I have a Motorola Electrify 2. Very nice phone as well.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:03:18 AM PST
Keep in mind here, I am coming from a Droid 2, so, I am pretty sure the newer phones have little bit better battery life and much prettier screens....especially the Note II's....AMOLED screen.....BAH!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:08:30 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:15:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:16:21 AM PST
I imagine anything you get now and days will be better than the droid 2.

Android vs iOS is rather dull these days. They both achieve the same exact thing but in different ways. It's really a preference now. Like whether you are a tits or an ass man.

Once Windows builds a solid app market things will get interesting again. They got a lot of potential IMO.

I imagine you will be happy with either phone as both are great phones. If you stick with android... A lot of improvements have been made since the Droid 2. Manufactures like HTC, Motorola, and Samsung have now embraced the android experience and are now keeping their UI's fairly simple. Battery life has vastly improved as well.

The note is huge... but it does have stellar reviews. It definitely deserves it's phablet category.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 9:20:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:21:43 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Who is your carrier?

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 9:30:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 9:31:03 AM PST
Chocolette says:
I'm very satisfied with my s3 but if I had a choice now, I'd get the Note2 no questions asked. Unfortunately I couldnt get the original Note back when because it had been ATT only. Boo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 11:02:03 AM PST
M. Stifler says:
I had an Iphone 3G. This past year I switched to the Galaxy S3, and while I'm happy with it, the Iphone is faster and, in my experience, doesn't freeze as much. The only reason I'm sticking with it (aside from monetary reasons) is because of the upgradable storage capacity. With and Iphone, I'd have to pay $399 for 64 GB. Instead I bought the basic 16 GB S3 and added a $40 64 GB microsd card. I like having my whole music library on the go.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 11:05:09 AM PST
i've got in iphone 5....really like it, android seems a bit too cluttered
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions