Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Crytek CEO: Offline single player has to go away in favor of online/connected single player

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 1, 2013 6:23:35 AM PST
http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/02/28/crytek-reveals-the-many-faces-of-free-to-play

<snip>

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli hints that not all of these titles will necessarily be the multiplayer free-for-all that is often associated with free-to-play, though his opening gambit on the subject is initially alarming.

"I think the notion of a single-player experience has to go away," Yerli confidently declares. "However, I'm not saying that there will be no single-player experiences ... it could be it's called Connected Single-Player or Online Single-Player instead."

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:24:21 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 1, 2013 6:44:25 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:27:13 AM PST
Why?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:28:20 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
DIAF

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:28:30 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I guess he's tired of all the success his single-player focused IP is having.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:33:06 AM PST
Well.

This is just stupid.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:34:21 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Didn't Crytek recently just publish that all of their games going forward are going to be crappy MP free to play games?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:38:33 AM PST
I don't think they said they were gonna be crappy...

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:40:02 AM PST
When Cevat Yerli talks...well, no one really listens.

This is the guy who believes that the first Crysis--a game he and his company proudly boasted that few people could run--was pirated something like 20 million times.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:42:16 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 1, 2013 6:44:02 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:56:23 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
This industry has become inundated with people that no one wants to listen to: Jaffe, Cage, Yerli, Blow, Carmac, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 6:57:01 AM PST
I like Jaffe, but most of those guys. . . ugh.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:57:41 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Grrr.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:06:44 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
:P

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:07:55 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Don't forget Cliffypoo!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:08:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:08:54 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm a fan of Cliffy and his new Video Game Wanderer persona, but I definitely should have put him in there.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:08:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 7:11:32 AM PST
what's with all these "connections" they keep trying to touch us with in games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:12:03 AM PST
Cliffy doesn't bother me either, I don't get the hate for this guy. He just says some over the top stuff, but doesn't seem mean about it like Blow or Chen.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:13:58 AM PST
Lucanus says:
""I think the notion of a single-player experience has to go away,"

Um, sure if you want a large portion of gamers to go away as well. :)

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:29:06 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Well that explains was Crysis 3 was half the length of Crysis 2. Crysis 4 will be down a 3 hour story; his way of phasing it out.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:49:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2013 1:34:12 PM PST
Not that large. Hardcore single-player only gamers are the exception, not the rule.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 7:58:21 AM PST
Soulshine says:
I think you may be right, but there's no real way to count the offline-only SP gamers.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:02:33 AM PST
T. E. Maddox says:
First of all I think it is fun to read all the outrage over a feature when nobody is 100% sure how it will be implemented yet. When I read the article I noticed this which everyone seems to ignore.

"We'll keep around the alias and icon used in today's multiplayer matches. These are great to have when anonymity is important."

Sounds to me like if I want to jump into a multiplayer game of some type and still be anonymous I can be. If I decide I want to share something like a video to my Facebook friends though it will need my real name. Of course if I choose not to share then I can stay anonymous.

For those who say they just want good games, is there something about the social features that eliminates the possibility of good games? My phone allows me to send text messages, take pictures and video, browse the web, etc but none of those features hurt the core purpose of my phone, to make and receive calls.

I am not concerned about these features yet, and am willing to wait and find out more info. If you are a MS fan just looking for reasons to rip Sony then I would say tread carefully until we see what MS has up their sleeves. I believe they also will roll out many social features.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 8:06:47 AM PST
Wrong thread. However, this defense has been beat to death already, other Sonyfriends beat you to it a while ago.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:19:52 AM PST
T. E. Maddox says:
Oops, yeah, I had multiple browser tabs open. Sorry for posting in the wrong thread.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Mar 1, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions