Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Nintendo to take on 'Skylanders' with NFC-enabled Pokemon game for Wii U

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 8:17:50 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
Ever since we found out that the Wii U's GamePad controller would support NFC, it's always seemed likely that Nintendo would use the technology to capitalize on the popularity of Activision's Skylanders - the dominating multiplatform franchise that gets kids to buy figurines which appear in the game on screen. It now appears that the first game to do so will be Pokemon Scramble U, a downloadable title due to be released for the Wii U on April 24th for 1,800 yen (about $19). The information comes from Japanese magazine Corocoro Comic, scans of which are floating around the internet.

Despite the potential to turn the full menagerie of several hundred Pokemon into NFC figurines, Nintendo appears to be starting small with Pokemon Scramble U, which will be called Pokemon Rumble U in the US: there will only be seven toys available at launch (including Pikachu), and they'll sell for 200 yen (about $2) apiece. Still, even with the Wii U suffering unimpressive sales so far, Nintendo could be sitting on a goldmine if kids prove as willing to buy miniature Pokemon as Skylanders dragons.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4097958/pokemon-nfc-figures-come-to-wii-u

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 8:41:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 8:42:24 AM PDT
Lucanus says:
The idea is great, but it should be a full fledged retail release of a good rpg. This sounds kind of too simple for it's own good. Based on what I read, it sounds like a glorified battle arena and not much else. I can't personally imagine investing much into such a simple game.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:22:16 AM PDT
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:45:10 AM PDT
Sparhawk says:
The name reminds me of Pokemon Rumble Blast, the 3DS release title. Which was...not good. Or strategically deep.

The figures are loads cheaper than Skylanders at least.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:50:25 AM PDT
Ice King says:
The retail is cheaper than Skylanders. Let's just hope the demand isn't too high and scalpers take notice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:59:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 7:59:11 AM PDT
Cheaper per unit maybe, but with 650+ pokemon... even at 2$ that's 1300$

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 8:06:11 AM PDT
J. Pardee says:
If that really happened then any parent would be smart to never let their children play the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 8:07:09 AM PDT
I always feared the day when Pokemon took the Skylanders route.

I only bought the skylanders I wanted, but I like a loooot of pokemon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 8:10:34 AM PDT
J. Pardee says:
Yeah, Pokemon could be a truly dangerous game to be in the form of Skylanders with the huge amount of Pokemon there is now.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 8:11:26 AM PDT
Cap'n Crunch says:
█▀█░ █░░░█░;; █▀▀░ ▄▀▀▄░ ▄▀▀▀▄░;; █▀▄▀█░;; █▀▀
█▀█░ █░█░█░;; █▀░░ ▀▄▄▄░ █░░░█░;; █░░░█░;; █▀░
█░█░ ▀▄▀▄▀░;; █▄▄░ ▀▄▄▀░ ▀▄▄▄▀░;; █░░░█░;; █▄▄
░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░ ░

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 8:13:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 8:14:22 AM PDT
See if I get this. Sony copies...bad Sony.

Nintendo Copies..."SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 8:21:35 AM PDT
key word "Now" they add 110 or so each series :p

And i'm sure there will be rare variants... like a Pikachu with Volt Tackle...

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 8:27:41 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
The moment they announced NFC, I knew this was coming. Truth be told, Nintendo can take what Skylanders did and just blow it out of the water with Pokemon. It'll sell millions. Good going, Ninty!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 9:16:33 AM PDT
Guys, they don't have to sell each different evolution of a pokemon. For example, you could buy Pika and also get Pickachu and Raichu. They could also do bundles where you get 4 characters for $5, or 15 for $20. Much like the pokémon trading/battle cards.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 9:25:32 AM PDT
DVvM says:
If done well, I think this is a license to print money.

As though Nintendo needed more of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 9:58:25 AM PDT
they don't HAVE to.

They will, but they don't have to.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 9:59:29 AM PDT
DVvM says:
Imagine if they do blind bags for this and that's the only way you can get shiny Pokemon.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:03:56 AM PDT
I told that to my friend a year ago when Skylanders game out.

I said "If pokemon did this they would sell booster packs, and you would get random pokemon, and it would make billions"

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 10:06:12 AM PDT
Also incoming, Disney's version of the action-figure DLC concept:

DISNEY INFINITY Starter Pack

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:07:42 AM PDT
we've known about that for months now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:10:50 AM PDT
My bad. "We" didn't include me until this morning.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:13:35 AM PDT
Way to not be up on every single thing that happens in gaming Classic. *shakes head*

:P

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:14:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 10:18:22 AM PDT
Stupid real life. Always getting in the way. ;-)

Anyway, I'm excited about the potential for the Nintendo version. Might be a nice way to get my son into Pokemon...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:15:44 AM PDT
Sorry I didn't mean to sound snarky, It's just been in a lot of the big news sites. I don't think the Disney version is going to do very well, pokemon though...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 10:17:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 10:17:47 AM PDT
No worries. I've been pretty out of the loop lately. :)

Anyway, I think you're right. I doubt my son would be interested in the Disney version, since he's never seen any of those movies, but he's always been kind of interested in Pokemon stuff when he sees it. We both love Skylanders.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Sonic Mania - A brand new 2D Sonic game 22 5 seconds ago
Ouch! Gamestop Now Offering $200.00 Trade For PS4 And $50.00 For Xbox One. 3 49 seconds ago
GUILTY!!! 9 8 minutes ago
OT: #DNCLEAKS i'll leave this here, since 52 9 minutes ago
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 8 10 minutes ago
Sony is the only one that lack any money making IP's 66 11 minutes ago
Another 180 By Microsoft. Microsoft Changes Services Agreement: Xbox To Require Sign-in To Maintain Gamertag 13 12 minutes ago
OT: Honest Question: Why does everyone have to get so nasty with each other? 60 15 minutes ago
OT: Republican National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Cleveland this week. 1207 20 minutes ago
Just Demoed PSVR At Best Buy 49 50 minutes ago
Is Sony too broke to innovate? 35 1 hour ago
Weekend Gaming 7/22-7/24 71 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions