Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Summary of the Legislation on the 2013 Assault Weapons Ban

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 220 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:39:48 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Yes, because all of our tragic mishaps have been caused by assault rifles.

<sarcasm>

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:39:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:42:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's insane, dude. Maybe you should put some spiked-shoes on before you go walking on slippery slopes.

Besides, if they wanted to do that, then they would start by keeping ballistic records for all guns sold. Which isn't really a bad idea. Like a fingerprint database for guns.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:43:29 AM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
Plus it's already fuzzy with details ---- more than 10? That's an enormous amount of handguns, even another enmormous amount for people to be hunted for grandfathered weapons. Then there is the issue of laws passed already throughout the years state by state.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:45:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:56:29 AM PST
Voice of god says:
I think it's getting off pretty easy as a requirement for owning a killing machine. If you want the responsibility of owning a gun, then prove that you're willing to take that responsibility.

The 2nd Amendment specifically references a well-regulated militia. There is no language prescribing the Wild West.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:46:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 10:48:18 AM PST
Fett986 says:
It does seem like an insane idea, but on the other hand... What other use would they have for an account of who has what firearms? And what is the point if I'm already fingerprinted and licensed to carry, and the gun was registered at purchase? Government redundancy at it's best, I suppose.

Edit: The problem with keeping ballistic records for all guns sold, is that they would also have to do it with any barrels sold, and they would have to start registering barrels as well, and it would have to be registered what barrel goes into which firearm you own. In theory, not a bad idea. But when you look at the details of it...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:46:43 AM PST
Who knows. I sold all mine for $1 to a friend. He moved out of state, haven't heard from him in months.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:46:47 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
No surprise that Obama gets reelected and in less than a year stiff gun control measures will come into play and he plays hardball over cutting government spending and shifting taxes to the wealthy. 2nd term presidents have nothing to fear so they go all out with their agendas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:47:27 AM PST
Smarty says:
The only thing I haven't already done once to get my gun is get fingerprinted (I've got 3 FBI fingerprint cards on file already due to my career). They have my license w/photo on file. So, why make me go through it again?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:47:40 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The problem is that it's not Joe Everyday Gun Owner who is doing these mass killings. All this is doing is putting extra steps and costs out there for those who already own these guns and went through the legal steps. If a crazy psycho can fill out all the paperwork to get a gun today, he'll be able to do it when/if this goes into effect. It won't stop a mass killing.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:48:11 AM PST
Ugh, is this garbage going to take over the forum again?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:50:09 AM PST
Using that list, this "assault weapons" classification could apply to most pistols as well.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:50:25 AM PST
jtshiel says:
For lunch I had a meat ball sub today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:50:36 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I was thinking about that when I was typing that. I can swap out the barrel of my 1911 to fire .22 (if I were feeling blasphemous) from it's standard .45 round. Barrel sales would skyrocket, I suppose. Plus, I don't know if striations on shells are really like fingerprints, where it's nearly impossible to get a duplicate. It would suck to have someone in jail because this database said they did the crime and they were truly innocent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:51:13 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
There will be no way in hell this will ever get passed if Americans cannot have single shot, semi-automatic, hand guns.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:53:56 AM PST
Voice of god says:
The Sandy Hook shooting happened with guns Adam Lanza took from his mother. If they had been locked in a safe, they wouldn't have been used in the shooting, unless you've decided that Adam Lanza was a safe-cracker.

What, exactly, is your problem with gun safes? What downside do you see, because I don't see one at all. Certainly not one that would outweigh the gun thefts and accidental shootings they would prevent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:55:11 AM PST
Yes. If by "take over" you mean "sit in one thread", lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:56:15 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
My dad had a briefcase, locked with a combination. Every day when we got home from school, it was fun to try to guess the combination to that briefcase. And, guess what? One day, the briefcase opened.

Nothing is infallible. If the combination had been written on a piece of paper in the mother's nightstand we'd be in the same place. Or, how hard could it be to guess a password/combination for a person like a family member that you know so intimately. It's not hard. I'm betting you wouldn't have to be a safe cracker to get into a gun safe. All you need is time alone, and I'm sure that there was plenty of that for this kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:56:41 AM PST
I'm cool in that case. There was a lot of leakage the last time this came up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:58:13 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
By trolls like Tea the Magnificent or that Pretty Lady person who made all those Sandy Hook threads.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:59:06 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Obama has actually expanded gun rights since he took office.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:59:44 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
I have a problem with the government telling me I have to keep and maintain a gun safe. Not really because I wouldn't want a gun safe, I just don't think the government needs to start taking control of our daily lives. I have always been for a smaller government and this type of stuff kinda scares me.

Like how liberals claim Bush took advantage of 9/11 to enact conservative laws about anti-terrorism, Obama is using Sandy Hook to enact liberal laws about gun control and who knows where it will go from here. At least with Bush it was about the rights of terrorists, this is about American rights.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:01:26 AM PST
Well taking on the largest and most successful lobby (the NRA) is a surprising move for any president. It's almost as if the country is reacting to just how awful gun violence can be.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:01:43 AM PST
What do you guys think about a mandatory psych exam for new gun owners? This way, it requires the crazies to see a psychiatrist and maybe he/she could catch the warning signs early. I'm aware that normal, sane gun owners would have to suffer the inconvenience, but I think it's a small price to pay if we can potentially prevent more shootings.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:01:47 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
"Like how liberals claim Bush took advantage of 9/11 to enact conservative laws about anti-terrorism,"

What claim? Have you READ the Patriot Act? Obama isn't trying to do anything other than keep guns out of the wrong hands. Like any sensible person would, and that's an issue that both sides can agree on, because I don't want to be shot at while going to a movie theater or have my kid be shot at for going to school.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 11:03:45 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I think everyone should take a psych exam before having a baby so it's a definite yes for gun owners as well.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Skyrim: Why am I so squishy? 4 43 seconds ago
DS4 Controller Sticks Rubber design failure... 66 3 minutes ago
I hate Valve with a passion of 1,000 burning suns and I'd be happy if they failed. 5 7 minutes ago
Forgive me Sonymites, for I have sinned. 8 10 minutes ago
Games That Felt Like They Were Rushed and Incomplete 42 19 minutes ago
So I got a big mac today... 13 30 minutes ago
OT: This is the story, of a lovely thread, with 10,000 very lovely posts. All of them had words of fun, like the last one, the first one with downvotes! 8338 43 minutes ago
OT: Giant Wasps' Nest Discovered On Woman's Guest Bed 21 1 hour ago
VGF "12 in 12" thread. A dozen games. 12 months. Time to step up. 756 1 hour ago
Sony doesn't understand security: Why PlayStation Network is such an attractive target for hackers 68 1 hour ago
OT: What is the craziest true fact you can think of? 92 1 hour ago
OT: Nine-year-old girl Kills Gun Instructor with Uzi 126 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  220
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions