Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: The Walking Dead Discussion (TV show only, NO COMIC SPOILERS)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 7:24:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2012 7:26:18 AM PST
That's how much it blew my damn mind!

And I didn't mention the comics at all I'm simply remarking on the fact that I strongly believe Dale should still be alive and Shane shouldn't. I draw these conclusions based purely on my experiences watching the TV show and from no where else.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that the actor who played Dale was a good friend of Frank Darabont's and someone he personally brought onto the show. Could we be seeing a potential "cleaning of the house"? Can't help but think back to a few interviews where actors were commenting on how tense things were on set and even being told "You're on a zombie show and can die at any time."

I am not pleased in the slightest with Dale's death.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 7:30:44 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Ah, heh, okay. Good. I thought it was more of a "Shane dies in the comics before Dale does." That's just what it sounded like.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 7:33:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2012 7:38:34 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Oh, and I hate losing the character (as my post obviously pointed out), but as I also said, I thought it was one of the best episodes this season. Was handled quite well, I thought. And I'd say solely based on the show, it worked well. That's of course not having any clue what's coming up with the rest of the story.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 7:38:02 AM PST
Donkey Punch says:
It's about time a zombie got Dale. He was really starting to annoy me and I thinks it's awesome that it was Daryl who finished him off.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 7:40:03 AM PST
Dale brought a certain aspect to the group that I really liked, he seems to be one voice of reason and the only one content on hanging onto the idea of humanity while everyone else is changing with the world around them. Losing him may bring Andrea around to picking up his fight and carrying on in his wake but still Dale was a character I didn't expect to see go down this early.

At this point though I'm starting to question if Shane is actually going to die any time soon. In some ways he has mellowed out after him and Rick having it out, even agreeing to let Randal live if the others didn't want to see him killed. When Rick decided to spare Randal Shane was a little hot but before hand I feel he would have just shot him right there and told everyone to shove off. I'm beginning to think he might be around for the long haul and will be that extreme character who often pulls the group in a direction they may not want to go but feel they have to in order to survive.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:21:22 AM PST
I knew the execution was going to drawn out til the very end. They should have left the kid in town when they had the chance. He confessed to some shady stuff like watching his friends have their way to 2 girls as the dad watched. His mind is contaminated. He was exposed to too much to let him live with the rest of them. They need to deal with him as soon as possible before it gets out of hand such as him escaping. The kid's crew is large, and heavily armed. I'm sensing a war to break out between the 2 groups.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 8:41:07 AM PST
I found the comment that Glenn made to be sort of off... "He isn't a part of the group" So does that mean they are going to turn away ALL outsiders now? Weren't they all outsiders at some point. I understand the fact that they have limited food/shelter and that winter is coming, but wouldn't you want to sort of build a community if you can?

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 9:21:20 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
First, I think that Dale getting killed is more about the direction of the story than any behind-the-scenes "politics". I think that this is the writers' way of stripping away [probably] the last big bastion of humanity, the voice of civility, the conscience of the group. Now the group is that much closer to primal survival thinking, the cloak of civilization is being shredded away. Will they all eventually become soulless, like Shane?

As far as the execution of Randall, when they had their meeting, I would have brought up the point that him being a human being cannot be the only thing considered. The mitigating facts are, if nothing else, he has been tortured, and will obviously be against the group if he gets a chance. Should the group ever meet with Randall's bigger group, I could not trust Randall to not turn against me. Just generally, thinking forward, there are too many serious negatives to letting him live, esp since he knows where the farm is. RL, I'd have executed him, out of necessity. He is a loose end, and the group cannot AFFORD that kind of "civility".

If it were "just some guy", without all the issues, it would be a whole different story how the person got treated by the group.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 9:31:56 AM PST
Randal needs to be dealt with and soon. Not only have they tortured him and let him see too much but he knows who Maggie and her family are, was part of this other group raping women, and he was also attempting to trick Carl into letting him go. Something about him just doesn't sit well with me and if I had been in Rick's shoes I would have left him on that fence. Not only would that have removed all the problems they now face with the group feeling some what responsible for what happens to him but if they ever came across this other group it removes the whole "You not only killed two of our people but you mistreated another."

Encounters with people like Randal should be kept away from the main group in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 9:42:34 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
Well, the writers had Rick pull the kid off the fence to create a new moral drama to begin with. So we have to accept that. I think many people of good caharcter would have done the same thing. And, it also showcased how heroic and noble Rick's instincts are in the face of imminent danger--I mean, he did it in the face of an overpowering and overwhelmingly close Walker attack.

Likewise, they are leaving Randall alive to create still more tension and sense of impending danger. The stressors weighing on the group are becoming heavier and heavier. They are driving the group down towards a breaking point. Killing off Dale unbalances the group's sense of perspective even more. I think that this is where the writers are going---towards a complete implosion of the group, where everyone simply loses it, and chaos takes over. I think this leads up to what I've heard foreshadows next season. I suspect that the group will be living in a whole new reality next season.

And Shane, I suspect that he will go soon, but will wind up dying a heroic death, going totally against the soulless selfish survivalist that we've seen him become.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 9:46:28 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I'm a man of contradictions. I'm not so compassionate as Rick to save Randall from his certain fence-impaled death, but once he became the group's problem, I would have backed Dale 100%. And that's why I also wouldn't likely survive when the ZA hits.

Yeah, that's exactly what I've expected from Shane's demise this entire season.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 9:52:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2012 9:53:20 AM PST
Oh I get why they had Rick save Randal, it goes along with his character and everything. For me though I would have left his ass there. Sorry buddy, you jumped, you shot at me, and you tried to kill my friends; you're boned.

I'm not sure the group is going to implode but rather Rick will finally once and for all prove his worth as a leader when the poo hits the fan. So far not everyone is 100% behind Rick and many question the decisions he's been making. I think we're heading towards something big and we're going to see Rick emerge the leader he should be instead of the leader he has been, much like in the bar when he did what had to be done. No one asked him to, no one knew what to do, but Rick did what had to be done to make sure all of them made it back.

Shane I think is going to stick around for Season 3. Knowing that the Governor is coming and what he brings with him I think Shane will make for an interesting character in this upcoming situation.

Edit: Either that or I see him getting killed off soon away from the group and Rick making it out to be like he was the hero when in reality he wasn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:00:17 AM PST
user22 says:
Yeah, that caught me too. Here Glen is the one who helped Rick out in the city and brought him into the group. I think he has changed quite a bit now that he has Maggie to care for.

As for Dale, I'm really sad to see him go, but apparently it was necessary for the group to learn a lesson. Especially Carl, learning how his actions can have negative consequences.

Also, I didn't pick up on it the first time, but I watched the encore presentation and at the end of Dale and Shane's conversation about Randall, Shane says something along the lines of, "You're wrong about this Dale...you're dead wrong...." I thought that was a nicely veiled spoiler. I'm definitely going to be listening more closely now in future episodes if someone hints at another character's death in that manner.

I'm very curious to see if Rick makes any changes again now that Dale is dead. Already it was hard for him to put Dale out of his misery so Daryl had to step in and do it. Anybody else notice how Rick's wardrobe seems to change along with his attitude? All through season 1 and the first half of season 2 he was always very clean cut and nicely suited up in his sheriff's uniform, but after they discovered Sofia he's been letting himself go, not shaving and wearing darker colored clothes. In this past episode it did look like he went back to wearing his tan sheriff's shirt, but it was all wrinkled and unbuttoned.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:03:11 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
I'd also have left the kid there on the fence. But since it was an act now, think later situation, since he didn't, and had to later decide once he got back to the farm, I disagree with siding with Dale. I think he should have seen the situation for the mess he was, and kill the kid. Not that he would care about this point but it would also give him a bit of traction with Shane, who he has GOT to get onboard with him.

Besides, Dale's death was a sure sign from god that Dale was wrong, and that god wanted vengeance. (J/K)

And yes, you are a man of contradictions.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 10:06:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 6, 2012 10:10:40 AM PST
God I love Daryl.

He's the guy who shot Dale at the end right?

He's a pure suvivor badass, I can really see the show doing a spin off of him venturing off by himself instead of with the group and having an entire TV show based on him surviving and meeting new people and slaying zombies.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:08:39 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
At this point, all I can think is: "Tune in next week, kids, for our next exciting adventure...!!..."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:13:30 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Hehe, if we're solely talking about the survival of the group, of course Dale was wrong. Randall living does not in anyway help the group stay alive. Of course, that's not what me and Dale would be on about. We don't think we should ditch our values because the world has changed, and this is why we would make poor leaders - we would get our group killed. Seriously, I didn't just sympathize with Dale in that episode, I fully empathized with him.

As I said in my earlier post, it's no coincidence that Carl would set off the chain reaction that got him killed. It's a great metaphor. Carl represents this cold, new world and its values. Dale represents the old moralistic world and its values. Maybe not god, but it is certainly a sign that Dale's point of view is irrelevant in this new world.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:35:18 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
6 minute video, the cast discusses this episode:

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/inside-episode-211-the-walking-dead-judge-jury-executioner

Funny to hear Rick talking with a British accent.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 10:39:24 AM PST
user22 says:
Dale will live on through his words. This is (unfortunately) a common occurrence in real life, great people having to die in order for their message to get through to the less benevolent. Dale in essence is Jesus, MLK Jr., JFK, Abe Lincoln, Gandhi, Bob Marley, John Lennon...all of our world's heroes for peace who have been assassinated only to become greater through the message they left behind.

Dale's torch is sure to be picked up by someone else. We already saw the beginning of change in Andrea toward the end of the group meeting....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:42:28 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
Dale wasn't exactly assassinated, but you make a good point about the spirit of his mind-set living on.

The fact that he was willing to stand up against the ENTIRE group for what he believed in, I think left an impression with [most] everyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 10:59:09 AM PST
user22 says:
lol. uhhh...sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that. Obviously he wasn't literally assassinated. The connection is that he died for his moral beliefs. Although they might as well have assassinated him, seeing as how he would still be alive if the group hadn't made him feel hopeless for them and/or if Carl would have spoke up about that walker he stumbled upon in the swamp.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 11:01:08 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
I was already kind of annoyed at what felt like a mostly pointless scene with Carl taunting a zombie. Then to see the result. Yeah, I was infuriated at that kid.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 11:04:54 AM PST
GyozaSauce says:
I want to know why Lori is NEVER watching Carl and letting him always wondering around?!?!?! Its not like there are no zombies wondering around or anything.......

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 11:08:56 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
I wasn't faulting you for it, I was merely pointing it out.

And yeah, I'm REALLY curious to see how the fallout from Carl's mistake is written.

What Carl did, to me, that is EXACTLY the kind of trouble kids get themselves into. Hell, I did things almost as recklessly stupid as that myself. Although in this case, it had an extreme consequence.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 11:11:06 AM PST
M. Ogre says:
Now I want some pot stickers.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  148
Total posts:  2488
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  25 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions