Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Ehh, I don't think I believe in God anymore

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 746 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:46:08 PM PST
Harmicky says:
You're right, it doesn't; I should have worded that differently. I'm going to edit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:46:31 PM PST
I see what you mean.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:49:43 PM PST
Nightmare says:
Your views are completely relative, and that's all I'm saying. You have no basis to argue your view of morality, because it's purely based on your personal opinion. My view is based on a book that I believe to be the inspired Word of God.

"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."

God's views on sexuality are very strict, just as fornication was punished by stoning in the Jewish Laws. Would I personally want to cut off her hand? No. But clearly God deems it that wrong for a woman to do such a thing.

"Nightmare, have you read A Refutation of Moral Relativism: Interviews with an Absolutist? If not, I think you should. It's an excellent and entertaining book."

No, I haven't read it. I'll look into it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:51:25 PM PST
Nightmare says:
How does it suggest otherwise?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:51:26 PM PST
What are my views relative to? I believe that slavery is wrong. It is wrong today. It was wrong in 1863. It was wrong in the time of the Bible. This is not relative. People believing that slavery is okay does not make it so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:51:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 12:55:10 PM PST
Anthony says:
generally i am, when i care to discuss it at all. this guy just got on my nerves.

Edit: and its not so much i am against christianity, or any other faith, as it is that i am against organized religion. organized religion has caused more pain, death, and suffering than anything else in the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:51:42 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
"I can't know God's purpose in killing children of an overall evil people"

You don't need to - you just need to undertand that this:

"killing children"

.....is wrong.

Whether or not there is a purpose behind it is meaningless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:51:52 PM PST
Mel says:
really?
something that petty and specific is divinely inspired?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:52:20 PM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
No, you have harm. Harm is painful, and it is wrong. Trying to minimize the harm you cause is good. Do you realize how many meals you could have served up at the soup kitchen in the time you spent arguing about right and wrong? You know you're deluding yourself. Own your choices! Playing this game with you is a waste of time, and that's wrong. I could be doing more productive things. I admit that. It doesn't make my choices right, but it is the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:53:09 PM PST
God had those people killed. Therefore, it did not work out in a benevolent way for them.

Let me ask you something. Do you believe that it is God's Will that we are at war with fanatics in the Middle East?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:53:29 PM PST
Nightmare says:
People saying that slavery is wrong does not make it so. Just because a majority of people believe something is wrong doesn't suddenly make it wrong. To put it more plainly, without God we are just animals. Animals have no moral code as they act purely on instinct. Without free will, we are merely biological robots. Nothing is wrong by that standard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:53:57 PM PST
Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:54:43 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
"Nothing is wrong by that standard."

Slavery and killing children is.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:55:45 PM PST
No one here is making the argument that we don't have free will.

"Just because a majority of people believe something is wrong doesn't suddenly make it wrong."

Of course it doesn't...but the opposite is also true. You know that I was referring to times when slavery was thought by the majority to be okay, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:56:28 PM PST
"Just curious...did you used to go by "Fish hop halibut" or something on here?"

Yes, and before that I was SuperSaiyan3Jedi and before that Wanda

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:57:04 PM PST
Harmicky says:
What about him got on your nerves? He has been polite, doesn't seem to be avoiding any questions, and is sticking to his point. Is it just that he has a different opinion than you have?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 12:57:40 PM PST
"Your views are completely relative, and that's all I'm saying. You have no basis to argue your view of morality, because it's purely based on your personal opinion. My view is based on a book that I believe to be the inspired Word of God."

So basically your opinion matters because it's based on a book written by people who's morality said slavery, stoning, and all the other "barbaric" acts committed during that time were right.

Yet anyone who doesnt agree with you, their opinion doesnt matter because they base their morality on thousands of years of history we've had to see how many of the bad choices we've made along the way have affected us.

This is why I generally avoid these conversations, the arrogance of Bible-thumpers is just amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:00:15 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I believe that it's inspired in the sense that God agrees with this. Although it was probably addressing a specific instance that occurred, I believe that God inspired the author to write the correct moral answer to the issue.

"No, you have harm. Harm is painful, and it is wrong. Trying to minimize the harm you cause is good. Do you realize how many meals you could have served up at the soup kitchen in the time you spent arguing about right and wrong? You know you're deluding yourself. Own your choices! Playing this game with you is a waste of time, and that's wrong. I could be doing more productive things. I admit that. It doesn't make my choices right, but it is the truth."

Again, you saying it doesn't make it so. Some people like causing harm to themselves, and some people like being harmed by others. Is that wrong?

"God had those people killed. Therefore, it did not work out in a benevolent way for them.

Let me ask you something. Do you believe that it is God's Will that we are at war with fanatics in the Middle East?"

It will work out benevolently for them if the afterlife reward is great enough. And, no, I don't think it's God's Will for this war to continue. He might use it in some way to bring about the end times, but I don't really know (obviously).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:00:28 PM PST
Lol, my friends and family know. Boy was my dad annoyed XD

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:00:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 1:01:44 PM PST
Mel says:
Exodus 21: 7
When a man sells his daughter into slavery, she is not to go free as male slaves may.

Exodus 21: 20-21
When a man strikes his slave or slave girl with a stick and the slave dies on the spot, he must be punished. But he is not to be punished if the slave survives for one day or two, because the slave is his property.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:00:59 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
"This is why I generally avoid these conversations, the arrogance of Bible-thumpers is just amazing."

Agreed.

It's this combination of arrogance and ignorance that you're talking about that I think has led more people away from Christ than anything I have seen in my lifetime.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:01:43 PM PST
"To put it more plainly, without God we are just animals."

No, we are an intelligent species that has learned over thousands of years of history. We've made huge mistakes as a species and have learned and adapted our morals to see where things went wrong. You are basing your morals on a thousand year old book that never takes into account any of the millions of moral dillema's that have happened since then.

It's not like you are born into the world with a full set of morals, you are taught by your parents, community, your friends and you LEARN what is right and wrong through personal experience and through historical experience.

I'd MUCH rather learn my morals this way then basically take a magic book and say "hey this thing tells me whats right and wrong, I dont have to think for myself anymore".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:02:37 PM PST
Harmicky says:
If I remember your stories correctly, your dad is quite, uh, overbearing. I'm sure that conversation with him was interesting!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:03:03 PM PST
"I didn't know how my family and friends would take the news that I am Gay, thankfully my Parents took it well... not so much my friends. Most of them more or less disowned me preeetty quickly. But that just shows me that... well they weren't really my friends to begin with."

You are a brave man dude. B'(

"I wish you luck."

Much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:04:04 PM PST
Harmicky says:
"It's not like you are born into the world with a full set of morals..."

My parents used a cheat code before I was born which started me out at birth with level 500 morals. But unfortunately it blocked 100% completion trophies.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 30 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  70
Total posts:  746
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 30, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions