Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 2467 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:29:40 PM PST
I almost went in for the kickstarter of that, but I was trying to get my group involved in a bigger donation and they bailed on me last minute.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 4:31:01 PM PST
I'd be okay giving Pathfinder a shot, especially if I can bring in 3.5 content.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:32:25 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
And my Pen!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:33:39 PM PST
To be fair, he onpy said that he has cookies, not that we would get any.

So at least we know what kind of DM he is.

I suppose you need cookies to use the site.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:35:26 PM PST
I was hoping to have a whole page of this, but you're the first to continue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:36:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 4:36:57 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
It's hard to think of what else would be relevant. You took the good one. lol I was going to say "And my Cheetos!" but it's not really relevant on an online table top game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:13:36 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
and my graph paper!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:16:28 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I'm looking for these cookies too, so you aren't alone

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:20:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 5:20:52 PM PST
Ok, guys. From what I've read, Pathfinder is looking like where it's going to be going towards. As I've never ran a campaign there, I'll look the world up and try to get a handle on it. So, it's looking like myself, Nate, Guest, Cap, Johns, Evan, Peter, Rev, and possibly DVvM. Give me a few days to look up some source materials on the IP. Anyone who has the world down, please feel free to contribute. I've always enjoyed running campaigns where the group could go in several directions depending on what they are enjoying. Since this will be my first campaign in a while(and first in Pathfinder), I'm asking to keep the alignments neutral or good. That doesn't mean that you've got to roll a LG character but show a little mercy to me at least for the first couple of sessions.

Nate, since I know that you at least have a little experience in this, feel free to chip in on any areas that I screw up(and I will. Several times). K, guys and gals. I'm going to be starting the brainstorming session this weekend after I read up some. So, this would probably be an optimal time to start trying to figure out who you are, and some of your backstory. Protip, I give bonuses for entertaining gameplay as it makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 5:22:14 PM PST
"I've never played pathfinder, but I'm guessing I can pick up on it fairly quick."

You'd have no problem with Pathfinder, Cap. It's made to be accessible to people who have never even seen a d20. That being said, some games like Shadowrun are brutal for new players. I DM'd a game with four virgins (Shadowrun virgins, lol, I guess I should specify since it's role-playing) and they were confused as @#$% the whole time. Shame too, it was a fun campaign until they all died horribly :(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:30:43 PM PST
Peter Faden says:
Awesome. Looking forward to it. Maybe I'll gift myself with a Pathfinder guidebook this Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:44:38 PM PST
And my character sheet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:46:47 PM PST
Good to hear!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:51:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 5:53:45 PM PST
"I'm asking to keep the alignments neutral or good."

Well, there go all my ideas.
*shifty*

More seriously, do you want to rule out anything off the bat? 3e/3.5/3.P has a TON of rulebooks, and then there's stuff that was made using the d20 system which was made to be largely compatible with 3.5, as well. And of course there's the online homebrew communities.

I'm used to playing it pretty loose and easy in campaigns where people just bring in new material as they find it so long as the DM deemed it not to be overly broken (not that 3e/3.5/3.P hasn't been broken to **** and back purely within the core rulebooks more times than could conveniently be counted), but I'd definitely understand wanting to keep a tighter rein than that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:55:05 PM PST
DVvM says:
Well, the way the evil alignments are defined in most versions of the player's handbook make them stupid.

If you want to play, like, a crazy person, chaotic neutral is much more appropriate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:55:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 5:55:56 PM PST
I would join, but I'm afraid I would get lost very easily. Plus, I do most of my posting after 7:00, so that might interfere with the game.

Have fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:59:14 PM PST
Give me some time to look over the materials. The only thing rules that I'm going to say right now is no monstrous classes until I see how everyone plays as that can be seriously unbalancing to the party dynamic. Also, everyone starts at level 1(boring I know, but you gotta start somewhere and this gives me a chance to get back into the groove of things). If you have some prestige or something that you're looking at, just slide it by me. If anyone has a question they don't want to say out loud, either message it to me on Facebook or Steam and I'll reply in the same manner.

Remember, the only rule that I try to foster is to have fun. That's kinda the whole point is to get together with others and just see what develops. I've never been a big rule-monger. As long as you don't mind the opposition having the same things you get to keep it interesting, I'll usually give it a chance to stand on it's merits.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:06:08 PM PST
DVvM says:
If someone can point me in the direction of the rules, I'm much more likely to participate. I don't really know Pathfinder at all.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:06:49 PM PST
J. Pardee says:
What type of cookies are we getting for this? I prefer chocolate chip.

This does sound fun but I don't know how good I would be at it. I have only played D&D sporadically as a teenager so it's probably been around 10 years since I have played.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:09:23 PM PST
I often do play chaotic neutral, it's my favorite alignment. But I don't really go with the D&D descriptions of the alignments so much as I just decide whether a given person is mostly ordered, good, apathetic, evil, or disordered in nature. And you can easily have crazies who fit into any of the nine alignments.

Well, okay, maybe not easily with TN, but you can still swing it.

I don't actually have very many evil PCs, though some of my neutral characters have some definite evil leanings. I've got a repentant former Orcus worshipper, for instance, who's TN. In general one of the nicest people you'll ever meet, and despite being TN, he does have some strong convictions against evildoing; but he's visited a lot of awful, horribly depraved circumstances on people in the past, and he's pretty desensitized to doing more awful things himself if he feels strongly enough that the ends would justify the means.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:11:02 PM PST
https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/

I'm looking at some of it myself right now, I've never really familiarized myself with 3.P either. I just know the spiel.

I gotta say, this Oracle class strikes me as being kind of interesting. Probably too easily breakable, but what mage isn't?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:11:36 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think every true neutral character is crazy. There's no other way to RP the alignment.

Personally, the only evil alignment I can really RP well is LE.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:12:11 PM PST
That's actually cool with me, I've never started from level one before. I was always told it was too painful. It'll definitely be an experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:15:50 PM PST
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

This is where I'm looking right now and it looks to have some info to help try to assimilate. I'm going to be going to my local gaming store this weekend to see if I can find some source books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:16:55 PM PST
The most interesting ways I've seen it played are committed apathy, independent protector of the status quo, and there was one guy who played it by purposely balancing every lawful action he took with a chaotic one and every good action with an evil one (and vice versa, of course).

I think his character was trolling the gods or something.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  2467
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  May 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions