Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

VGF Tabletop RPG thread; looking for guinea pigs, I have cookies.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 2261 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:49:24 AM PST
To be fair, I think that may just be their attempt to get fighters more in line with mages. Mages are ridiculously broken in 3.5, to the point where you can make more effective melee sorcerers than fighters.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:53:34 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I was more being silly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:54:55 AM PST
I think DVs wants to be a sneaky type, Capt sounded like he wants in on divine magic, Nate seems to want long range, and Peter said ranger/sorcerer or thereabouts. I'm open to just about any necessary party role, though I'd prefer to play either somebody who can be super manipulative or a fifth-wheel-type. So I think we've definitely got room for a pure/mostly pure arcanist right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:55:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 9:55:46 AM PST
I figgered. I just like rifling through the d20 system.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:59:06 AM PST
Speaking of fifth wheels, I'm going through the taskshaper class right now (it's one of the third-party book classes on the d20pfsrd site), and it looks pretty great. Absurdly high maintenance, though. I have to write down every feat and ability my character sees and everything/body he touches.

I have no idea how it balances against other classes, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:06:23 AM PST
Heh, I designed that thread title to catch the eye of the pen & paper gamers. I'm glad that it helped to set a new D&D campaign in motion and I think the developers of Crimson Shroud would be pleased as well. It's so great to see a bunch of VGF'ers so excited in a positive way.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:08:17 AM PST
Banner says:
It's like....I know that this thread is in English but...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:08:48 AM PST
I haven't felt the need for UltMag since Core, AP, and UltCom have hundreds of spells.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:12:07 AM PST
That sounds like it could be retarded broken.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:18:47 AM PST
I usually play a cleric, but I'd love to roleplay a paladin. I can usually pull it off without being an annoying policeman. If not, I'll take on a support fighter (like straight damage duelist or something). So are we decided on Pathfinder, then?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:29:24 AM PST
Yeah...about that. No, you can't be an amped up Rogue.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:34:48 AM PST
I am def rolling a ranger. Just gimme a day to figure out race/archetype.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:37:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 10:41:00 AM PST
Are you going full on archery, Nate? Those are always fun.

Edit: Do you think we'll need the Advanced Player Guide? All I have is the big fat rulebook.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:43:51 AM PST
Peter Faden says:
Havent rolled mine up yet. Gonna grab the rulebook probably today or tomorrow and read it through next week, then make a decision.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:45:05 AM PST
I dunno. Since you still need to meet the prereqs to use the feats or abilities, it's more of a jack of all trades than a master of anything, which don't typically fare very well in D&D. I've only scanned the description so far, but mechanically it probably isn't actually very good, at least in a mid to high optimization campaign, especially since you don't get spells.

It's fine if we want to rule it out, and I'd have to read more to determine what I thought of it, but it doesn't seem especially overpowered to me at a glance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:47:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 10:49:46 AM PST
DVvM says:
So can I sell you on my Changeling monk by telling you the frame of the backstory?

Working from here: https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-changeling

So in quoting Pathfinder: "Changelings are the offspring of hags and their lovers taken through magic or madness. Dropped off on doorsteps of prospective foster parents, changelings are raised by strangers."

So the character was swapped for the actual baby girl of some peasants and appeared like a totally normal human until puberty at which point she grew claws and her eyes became a mismatched, unnatural color, and she started hearing voices in her head. Her foster parents, encumbered with the superstitions and intolerances endemic to the peasantry determined she was a witch and cast her out, on her own, at 15, shortly after which the voices congealed into "the call": "a hypnotic spiritual voice that beckons them to travel and discover their true origins."

After which followed a barely remembered journey of privation and horror through icy moors and frozen swamps survived more by luck than anything else, that resulted in her realizing the true horror of what she truly is, after which she ran until she collapsed from exhaustion

Through fate or circumstance she was discovered barely alive in a ditch by a wandering monk and was taken to the monastery where she was able to find some modicum of inner peace. I would probably throw something in there about the monastery being attacked some night by unknown assailants and being told by one of the elder monks to flee in his dying words, both because I like throwing in holes in the backstory for the GM to fill in and because I need some actual reason to be out there having adventures and not "sitting in the monastery, meditating."

Should I abandon this concept, or is there enough there that you'd okay a non-standard race?

The Aasimar concept was for a rogue who was a complete cad who was completely unaware of his celestial heritage and gradually becomes aware of it and reevaluates a few things about himself through the course of the campaign, but that's kind of a redone version of a character I already played once. I think the monk might be more fun.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:49:10 AM PST
Peter Faden says:
Can we roll up a psionic character? The way they incorporated psionics into Eberron and Dark Sun was pretty awesome.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:01:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 11:04:05 AM PST
"Can we roll up a psionic character?"

I see a psionic force blade in our future, lol. Have you guys ever seen "The Gamers: Dorkness Rising"?

Edit: I definitely don't want to min-max this one, I'm going to try and find a race/class combination that I've never played before and make it interesting. Half-orc paladin maybe? That would be interesting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:12:22 AM PST
I think the APG has a lot of good stuff, so even if you don't buy it you should check it out on the site.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:13:51 AM PST
Oh I see. Sounds interesting.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:24:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 11:31:42 AM PST
DVvM, I can tell that I'm going to enjoy playing with you. I love where you're going, and the fact that you left some holes there to tie a story around your character, allowing growth. Let me look at changelings, but I will give a tentative ok.

*Edit: I looked at them, and I have no issues with this race. I'm interested in seeing where she's going to go.

This game isn't being made with min/max at the forefront in my mind. I am quite aware that it's something that we all do to a degree and it is fun to try to make a nuke, but the story and companionship of ridiculing one another when someone rolls a botch(yup, I use those, Fear the 1) is what drives me the most.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:38:57 PM PST
Hrm. There's too many vagaries in the taskshaper description for me to feel comfortable playing it as my first class in Pathfinder, anyway. Ah, well.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:41:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 12:44:25 PM PST
Sounds like fun, but I've never played Pathfinder. How would this work? Would we all have to be online at the same time or is it somehow setup to be asynchronous? (Can't wrap my mind around how that would work.)

And, more importantly, what kind of cookies? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:49:44 PM PST
To answer your first question, I figure that we would try to figure out what time we could all be online for a while and join together in Vent or something. We can all use our own roll generator or roll dice and use the honor system to keep us honest. If someone has a better idea, I'm all for hearing about it.

To answer your second question, I had the cookies and they were good. Gooey chocolate chip. Was I supposed to share?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 12:52:35 PM PST
Sounds good. I'm up for it in theory, but I have to admit that my schedule is pretty crazy, so I'm not sure whether I can actually make it happen or not.

As for the cookies, dood, gooey chocolate chip is the best. I hope you enjoyed them, you bastid. ;-)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x9dcb1c30)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  2261
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  3 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions