Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

LBP Karting Review

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2012 3:38:08 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Developer: United Front Games / Publisher: Sony / Played on: PS3 / Price: $59.99 / ESRB: Everyone [Cartoon Violence, Comic Mischief]

A platforming mascot getting a kart-racing spin-off is `been there, done that' in games, but handing development duties to United Front Games and having them combine LittleBigPlanet with the already established framework of ModNation Racers was a smart move by Sony and Media Molecule.

ModNation Racers was a surprisingly good entry into the kart-racing arena so dominated by Nintendo's happy-clappy mascot, and yet sadly it's also utterly forgettable. That said swapping those faceless and slightly maniacal-looking critters out with Sackboys worked out great for both parties.

Not only has it guaranteed a solid racing model for a Sackboy racer, it's also given United Front's already-solid karting game a more recognizable and much-loved universe in which to exist, and has allowed the developer to massively expand on its promising groundwork, with all the charm and endless creativity from Media Molecule's incredible platformers.

LBPK, I can safely say, is no cheaply made cash-in. Like the platformers on which it's based, this is an insanely feature-filled bag of creative, imaginative chaos. The best type of chaos.

GAMEPLAY

LittleBigPlanet Karting drives exactly how you'd expect from a cartoony racer; it's simple handling and forgivable physics are welcoming to the greenest of players, while more complex techniques such as power sliding, weapon tactics and increasingly tricky shortcuts allow more advanced players something to sink their teeth into.

LBPK doesn't mess with the standard kart game formula: you tap R1 (or a button of your choice thanks to customizable controls) to hop, and to initiate a slide as you enter a turn. If you hold the slide long enough you get a boost upon exit. The longer you hold the slide, the greater the boost. There are weapons to grab and shoot, and there are shortcuts to find and explore.

If you've played ModNation Racers you'll be even more familiar with the wheel spinning at the start line, the general weight and feel of the power slides. LBPK is slower-paced in terms of raw kart speed, but the ModNation DNA is clearly evident.

As usual, you grab items (Weaponators) on course to get a random weapon to fire at enemies, including speed-boosting goodies, homing and non-homing rockets, mines and suchlike. A further strategy element is added by the ability to shoot incoming missiles down by shooting weapons backwards at the right time - sacrificing the opportunity to attack others but saving your bleep in the process.

The biggest difference, however, is in the addition of the grappling mechanic lifted from LittleBigPlanet 2. Sponges dangling over courses provide grappling hooks for you to swing from by holding L1.

This opens up opportunities for some bonkers course design and United Front doesn't pass up the chance to throw in fiery pits, deep chasms and even more creative obstacles. On one course you swing over a train track as a locomotive - with only small gaps in its trailing carriages - steams by. You can still steer slightly as you swing, and its up to you to release your hook at the right time, meaning there's a level of skill required in every swing. Well-placed grapples are also means of reaching some of the trickier shortcuts, and nailing them is immensely satisfying.

Also lifted from the LBP formula is score bubbles, both small and large, with the larger ones packing prizes which you collect to expand your customization options to hundreds of items. These bubbles are spread around all the courses, adding an element of exploration to the already hectic chaos as you play.

This element fit perfectly with platforming because it required just a little extra effort to explore and grab a few off-the-path bubbles. Unlike the platform games, however, bubble hunting during a race is detrimental to your racing prospects. You either compete to win or you hunt for bubbles, you can't really do both properly. This almost seems to have been done by design: those alluring prize bubbles seemingly always placed off the ideal racing line or in hard-to-reach spots that will almost certainly spell bad news for those who dare to get them. They can therefore be an annoyance; a distraction. But they also add replayability, because you'll need to run races more than once to get them all.

Winning races, however, isn't just a case of reaching the finish line. LittleBigPlanet is known for its creativity and LBPK takes this reputation to heart. There are battle modes, and numerous alterations on the kill-everyone rules. One battle stage is set in a laboratory with a giant red switch in the middle which, when glowing, gives the player who presses it momentary electrical power, destroying all who come near. Another stage places an egg in the map, which grants its possessor a giant kart, but renders them unable to shoot weapons. Battles take place in castles, wide-open fields or on top of two flying ships with launch pads flicking players through the air between them.

The variety is incredible.

And that's before you start toying with the mini games. Just like the platformers, as you work your way through the main levels - displayed as patches on planets just like you're used to - you unlock smaller patches which take you to mini games. In true LBP fashion, some of these are simple scenario challenges, while others offer vastly different gameplay types.

There's top-down RC racing, there's a side-scrolling hopping game, there's a race in a high-speed electric-powered F1 car that needs to be stopped in the pits every couple of laps for a quick recharge.

Sometimes you don't even control a kart at all. One stage puts you in control of a giant lizard that you stomp around a simple urban environment in a top-down view, smashing trucks with your feet and fire breath. These games are all fairly simple, but with so many in a single package the variety and creativity on display here is astounding.

The only major gripe with the game's single-player offering is playing against the CPU characters, who can often be ruthless with their weapon use and not entirely fair with their pace. I'm talking about going from 1st to 8th within seconds through no fault of your own and seemingly no way to avoid it. In the latter races there's very little order to the chaos; even as a seasoned kart game player I found myself having to play races multiple times hoping for that one lucky occasion when the CPU doesn't completely obliterate me on the final straight. In these CPU races it's as if skill counts for nothing.

MULTIPLAYER

As expected from a LBP title, multiplayer is woven into every corner of the game. A second player can grab a controller and leap into any of the main story levels with you. Add a third and fourth player and you'll be restricted to the `VS mode' alternatives provided for every stage, which eliminates the CPU players and leaves you with friends.

Local multiplayer with friends is as amusing as ever. There's a noticeable loss off visual detail in four-player split-screen, but it's still suitably smooth and fast, and loads of fun.

Online play is what will keep the game in your PS3 disc slot for months after you blast through the campaign on your own. Sticking to the same formula as the LBP games, you're able to seamlessly jump into lobbies or public matchmaking games on developer-made courses or originals created by players. Although I wasn't able to sample the delights of public online play, as this portion of the game wasn't available at the time of reviewing, it's easy to imagine how replacing those infuriating CPU karts with real human competitors on an inevitably endless supply of custom-made courses will be a triumph in kart racing.

CREATIVE MODE
If there was any part of LBPK you'd expect to be lacking, you'd think it would be in the game's course-editing tools. I mean, LBP2 was so flexible it let you make entirely different games. How creative can you be with a course editor? Incredibly creative is the simple answer.

The customization options available are simply immense. The cool thing is that if you just want to lay down a simple track and hit the tarmac you can do that within minutes of spawning a bare canvas. Making a worthwhile level in LBP2 was never this simple. Laying out a basic circuit is as easy as steering a rolling pin around, painting your course with left and right turns as well as vertical undulations on the fly with the analogue sticks. Connect a full loop and you're ready to go.

Creating hills and lakes, and slapping in some scenery is also a cinch. But if you want to get deep, there's no end to the ocean of customization available. There are a whopping 57 tutorial videos. Seriously. It's like a programming course. CPUs, logic editors, sequencers, custom AI, switches (several kinds), motors... everything you could imagine. These options not only let you make courses and battle arenas, but entire mini games, custom weapons, plots, cutscenes, and even alternative gameplay modes altogether.

And all of the sharing, downloading, and ratings systems pioneered by LBP are present here. It's brilliant stuff.

BOTTOM LINE
LittleBigPlanet Karting is a huge achievement. Even as a devout Mario Kart fan since the very beginning, I can't help but yearn for Nintendo to stop playing it so safe with the franchise. They need to surprise me. I want more shocking courses. I want exciting new modes. I want a new game structure grander than the basic `cups'. It's the year 2012; for the love of Peach I want a bleeping course editor.

LBPK serves up all these goods and more. And yet, just as LittleBigPlanet never once felt like a Super Mario Bros. clone, LBPK accomplishes not feeling like a Mario Kart clone. It's not a re-skinned ModNation Racers either - it's suitably expanded to deserve recognition as a game all on its own.

It's got its quirks; playing against the CPU can be a frustrating ordeal, and some of the autopilot weapons too often release you into tricky positions, sometimes even dropping you off the course completely. But the solid racing core laid out by ModNation Racers combined with the universe of creativity, variety and charm that the LBP franchise in known for makes for a karting game with near limitless potential and unrivaled multiplayer racing fun.

+ Incredible customization
+ Full of LBP charm
+ A multiplayer marvel
9/10

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:45:32 PM PDT
Aku says:
I was hoping the kart physics in this game were a hell of a lot better than the platforming stuff from the regular games. If it's just a reskin in Modnation in that department, my hopes are kinda dashed.

Dude does have a point about Mario Kart needing new game modes, though. And not just that lame-as-hell "adventure" crap from the DS version either.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:51:12 PM PDT
Gamer Dude says:
Awesome, what website did you get this from? Or are you the one reviewing?

Good to hear it's neither a Mario Kart nor Modnation clone. It really is a shame how many people will view it as kiddy and pass since it's not a FPS.(even though it actually has a FPS in it)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:52:36 PM PDT
Gamer Dude says:
I played the beta and the physics are much different from the platforming games. Much more fast paced.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:53:17 PM PDT
ZiggyIguana says:
Really makes me want a ps3...

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 3:55:12 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Got it from machinima

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 3:58:58 PM PDT
Gamer Dude says:
Get one on black friday. :)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 4:16:37 PM PDT
TimesTicking says:
I didn't know this game was coming out so soon >.<
I gotta pre-order the game now!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 4:35:50 PM PDT
1#Pen Name says:
I think lbpvita is better so I won't get this.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 4:54:57 PM PDT
saskamazon says:
thanks for the review ... I've had mine preordered for quite awhile .... the beta was great, & this sounds even better. the edit tool for this was a breeze ... really easy to pull something together quickly & the battle mode was a blast ! I know what I'll be playing come Tuesday ... hope they don't surprise us with ep. 5 of the Walking Dead too .... I wouldn't know which to pick.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:31:05 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
The beta was good, but sadly I'm not interested. Not a big Modnation or LBP fan. I hope UFG gets to do more games in the vein of Sleeping Dogs.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:54:21 PM PDT
Sony does what Ninten. . . does.

Well good for them, with Sony Smash Brothers, Super Sony Kart and Wonderbook they will take over the casual market for sure!

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 5:58:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 5:59:05 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
I couldnt be happier about "sony smash bros" love ssb and
ssb+sony characters=badass :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 5:59:08 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
Is it really that hard to call them by their actual names?

Or is your SonyScoffing™ tendency is just too overwhelming to resist?

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 6:16:59 PM PDT
mjc0961 says:
"The only major gripe with the game's single-player offering is playing against the CPU characters, who can often be ruthless with their weapon use and not entirely fair with their pace. I'm talking about going from 1st to 8th within seconds through no fault of your own and seemingly no way to avoid it. In the latter races there's very little order to the chaos; even as a seasoned kart game player I found myself having to play races multiple times hoping for that one lucky occasion when the CPU doesn't completely obliterate me on the final straight. In these CPU races it's as if skill counts for nothing."

Well, that confirms that I won't be getting this game. I absolutely hated that about ModNation Racers. The AI always has great weapons and has the perfect timing to use them and totally screw you over. Meanwhile, you never get anything decent due to always having your weapons taken away when you get hit. You have to use the basic weapons before you lose them and the AI can perfectly block all of them. How they can predict a lightning bolt that instantly strikes without warning as soon as I press the fire button and shield it perfectly is just nonsense. Same with sideswipes, they should not be able to perfectly shield them every time. The AI is quite literally cheating in these instances, using the fact that it knows you just pressed an attack button to make your opponents throw up shields so your attacks are useless. Then they get to unleash the level 3 super weapons one after the other and destroy you because you can never have enough shield to block that many at once. Even in Mario Kart, sometimes skill gets disregarded as the AI gets a series of great items to ruin you at the right time, but at least in Mario Kart skill matters most of the time. In ModNation Racers, skill NEVER matters against the AI. You can be as skilled as you want but when they decide they want to win at any cost and start cheating, no amount of skill will save you. All you can do is bend over and grab your ankles.

And if LBP Karting does that all over again, forget it. I already have one unfun and unfinished kart racing game in my PS3 library and I don't want another.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:11:17 PM PDT
DVvM says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:13:57 PM PDT
I. Flores says:
A track editor/ creator, for starters.
But then again, I don't know if some Nintendo fanboys could stand Nintendo copying Sony.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:52:51 PM PDT
Mario Kart 64.... Nuff Said

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:57:03 PM PDT
Krypto K says:
Yeah, it would be different for Nintendo to take something from a Sony game. I guess you Sonymites are used to Sony copying Nintendo it doesn't bother you anymore..

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:59:49 PM PDT
saskamazon says:
I love Mario Kart ... but LBP K offers a far more diverse experience - between the various battle modes, the create function, collectibles, MP this will have lasting replayability in a variety of ways .... I think the racing will be more challenging too, with the grapple hook & all that will add .... getting through story mode & looting the collectibles will be a blast ... I'm pretty excited to see all that this has to offer.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:08:32 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Can't wait to see what kinds of crazy tracks people make :P creative mode sounds quite impressive

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:22:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 9:25:18 PM PDT
"Flores para los Muertos says:
Is it really that hard to call them by their actual names?"

Of course not, but I know were the tables reversed and Nintendo taking something that Sony did, you'd shit bricks there mister pot.

Edit: Also, the fact that actual, grown (apparently) men take personal the fact that I'm pointing out that a video game company is ripping off an idea from another is far beyond the pale, and in itself deserves a shit ton of scoffing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:33:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 9:45:34 PM PDT
DVvM says:
I don't understand why fanthings get huffy about one company "copying" another.

I mean, nobody owns the concept of "chicken sandwich". If you think you can make a tastier chicken sandwich than anybody else, then you should do so.

Likewise nobody owns concepts like "chaotic mascot fighter" or "connecting a handheld to a console" or "kart racer" or "two analog sticks on the controller" or "games on optical discs" or "online multiplayer network", so if somebody else has a good idea along those lines, and you think you can do it better, then you should.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:35:38 PM PDT
Zak Iarih says:
Fact: Nobody will ever make a tastier chicken sammich than the McChicken

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:57:01 PM PDT
The Doublicious is the greatest chicken sandwich known to man, women, and child.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions