Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U gamepad

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 43 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 8:23:15 AM PST
Nintendo should allow the Gamepad to sleep. Can it? I think it should be able to go into sleep mode, like a cell phone, turn the screen off. Of course you wouldn't want this during a game, but when watching Hulu Plus or something, the second screen isn't useful the whole time. I wouldn't mind having to press the button to wake it up, when I wanted to use it during Hulu Plus.

The battery life isn't so great on this thing, so if you use it all up watching TV, there won't be any left to play video games with.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:11:38 AM PST
Did you get the deluxe? If so, just sit it on the charging cradle while you are watching your shows. Doesn't seem like too much of a thing to me.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:26:28 AM PST
I could be wrong but wont the gamepad add to the netflix, hulu plus, and amazon video experience when tvii ( how do you say that?) comes out. From what i understood you could post stuff on miiverse while watching the show without having to pause it. I could be wrong though. And I do agree it should have a sleep function

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:43:04 AM PST
But that defeats its whole purpose as a remote control. The charging cradle is next to the TV. Might as well just use a Bluray player if I'm not gonna use the gamepad.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:46:02 AM PST
Yes, hopefully it does. Bur right now, without tvii, what is the point of using the Wii U instead of my bluray player? There isn't much of one right now.

In a perfect world, Nintendo will let you use a web browser, with google, facebook, etc on the gamepad while watching the TV. That way I won't also need my laptop.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:37:07 AM PST
Jon says:
Guess what?! It has that feature. When gaming, press the home button on your gamepad and go into the controller settings. Theres a "turn off display" or something button. The controller will turn back on when a button is pressed. Check it out and see if its what you desire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:41:46 AM PST
I couldn't suggest this because ours is still sitting in the dang box. Damn you, christmas. GET HERE ALREADY!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:04:30 PM PST
Daft Gamer- I had the same problem but, the night we bought it my wife wrapped it up and put it under our tree. So late that night I took it out of the wrapping paper put the wii u chargers and gamepad in my bag for work and re wrapped the box... no end game plan yet but I dunno I'll think about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:18:36 PM PST
Thanks, I am playing Mario right now, but next time I load up Hulu or something, I'll give it a try.

Actually it works during Mario too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:27:59 PM PST
Are you going to give it to your kids brand new? This isn't ideal, especially with the zero 0 update and the bricking vulnerability. Unless one of your kids enjoys the setting up procedure and is old enough, you should think about pre setting it up. Do the updates, set up parental controls, make your account, register with Nintendo club, transfer your old wii, etc, all before Christmas, then wrap it all back up.

Of course, I guess you would need to do all this in secret from your kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:50:45 PM PST
I agree. The total setup time for me, downloading updates and setting up parental controls, etc. took about two hours. That will seem like two weeks to kids on Christmas morning. Do it in advance and then rebox everything. That way Christmas morning the Wii U can be set up and running in minutes. Don't forget that Christmas morning there will be hundreds of thousands of people trying to download the updates at the same time. It's likely to be much easier to do it in advance.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 2:37:42 PM PST
Hmm, you all raise a valid point. However, I'm guessing that once the update process starts, it wouldn't need to be monitored. Since we are going over to my in-laws later in the morning, I can hook it up and let it do the update while we are visiting family. I just don't feel right about opening the girls' present up early. Of course, I did do that to install parental monitoring software on their laptops before they got them, so I might go ahead and go this route.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:44:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 4:45:41 PM PST
M. Lewis says:
you can actually cancel the update and start using the console immediately. The update then downloads in the background and can be installed later.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/wii_u_system_update_can_be_downloaded_in_the_background
http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/11/20/that-annoying-day-one-wii-u-update-can-be-downloaded-in-the-background/

If they regularly play the Wii I wouldn't do the wii transfer early (unless it is the night before) as it copies all saves and downloaded games to the new console. They might figure out something is up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:49:15 PM PST
Update, no this doesn't work. You can't click the back button to get back to your app from that setting screen. You have to use a Wiimote instead, inconvenient. But this doesn't really work either, because if you use the wii mote to click the close home menu button, Netflix stops playing your video. You can't use the Wiimote to start it back up either. So at least this doesn't work with Netflix, I haven't tested in Hulu Plus yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:25:37 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:55:42 PM PST
Why would I want a tablet? A tablet can't play video on my monitor. It doesn't solve any problem. Tablets can't really do anything that phones can't do. I would still need something to play my TV shows. If I am gonna use a Bluray and a tablet, might as well use the bluray and a laptop. Or just skip the bluray, and use the laptop, but then I'd need to tether to an HDMI cable if I want to use the bigger screen.

A bluray player can't play a show and browse the web at the same time. A laptop can, but only if you hook up an HDMI cable, or get some weird wireless streaming device. A tablet can't, unless you get the cable or weird streaming device. A Wii U would be the perfect solution. It should be able to play video and browse the web at the same time. If I want, I could pause the video, make my facebook post, and unpause, without needing an additional device. If I was using a tablet for web browsing, I would still need the bluray or whatever remote control to pause the video. That might have fallen off the bed, or gotten buried in the covers.

While we are at it, there needs to be volume control on the Wii Pad. I don't have a TV and I don't have a remote control for my speakers. So, if I am using a Bluray or Wii or Wii U to watch TV, I have to get up and manually change the volume on my speakers. I should be able to set my speakers fairly high, and then lower the volume in software, but so far, only laptops let you do that.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:57:12 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
With a Blu Ray player you can watch TV and browse the internet at the same time though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:19:33 PM PST
not on the same device you can't. If I want to use my laptop, phone, tablet, whatever, to browse the web, I have to find the bluray remote to pause the video first. If I don't pause it, I will end up having to rewind. And I don't know about your bluray player, but mine makes rewinding back before a Hulu commercial really hard.

The Wii U could put your play/pause/volume controls on the same exact screen as your web browser. Nothing else can do that. Even with a laptop set up in dual screen mode, the player controls would be on one monitor, and the web browser on the other.

I should be able to go pause, Facebook, un-pause, without having to switch devices, not even switching tabs.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:27:16 PM PST
Another good thing about the Wii U, I can hook headphones up to the gamepad, and switch to them in less than a second. A bluray player can't do that. If I want to hook headphones up to my bluray, I have to get up, and sit very close to the speakers. Even if I got some wireless headphones, they probably wouldn't come with a remote control that would allow me to choose speakers or headphones from my bed.

I have enough hardware already, I don't want to buy more. I just want Nintendo to program their console very well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:10:13 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:49:44 PM PST
What's wrong with wanting people to program things for maximum convenience? Isn't that their job? I write software, and I make it so the users can best get what they want done. I don't specialize it for what I need excessively. Companies like Apple try to tell you what you want. I know what I want, and I prefer communities who let people customize things to the way they want. Nintendo wants a closed system, where you can't really change it. So we are dependent on what Nintendo decides to do.

Nintendo has a chance here to reinvent the remote control, reinvent how people watch TV. They can't waste it. Every little feature is a deciding feature for somebody. Better stuff means more sales, more profits.

Imagine if there are two airlines that both offer nonstop flights to where you want to go for the same price, because one likes to pricematch the other. How do you chose? You chose based on little details, like flight times, baggage policies, snacks, amenities, credit card miles, and many other details. On one particular occasion certain details may be important to you. On another occasion, completely different details may be important to you. Variables might even be correlated. Maybe you have a choice of two airports, but different airlines are available at the different airports. So you have to balance airlines preference with airport preference, and that preference might change on a trip by trip basis.

The point here is that spending 100 or 200 employee hours developing a feature, might just lead to more sales, enough to make it worth it. If someone is trying to decide to get a Wii U or get something else, ultimately, it's all going to boil down to one feature. The pros and cons will balance out and come down to one thing. Nintendo doesn't know what the one thing is for everyone, so it's best to make as many things as possible. It's best to be as different as possible from the rest of the competition. Nintendo is in the unique position of selling a powerful set top-box and a semi-portable device in the same product. Apple, Microsoft, Sony, everyone else, makes the customer buy two separate products for that. Its buy an iPad AND an Apple TV vs. buy just a Wii U. Nintendo can't waste their dominant hardware position by refusing to make adequate software.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:06:47 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:29:14 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:54:14 PM PST
I'm not looking down on anyone expressing ideas, it's how those ideas are expressed that are coming across wrong. If you have ideas, great. I'll grant that adding additional functionality to the Nintablet is an admirable future goal. Before they start making their console into what the other 2 are(making their consoles more of entertainment centers with the occasional gaming feature thrown our way), let them get the VG side down first. I would rather them brainstorm and work on creating a good online footprint for gaming with others across the country before they start looking at how the tablet can be used to make surfing sites or such easier.

I fear that MS has cursed the industry by trying to make consoles more like PC's where people now expect for their home console to have multiple purposes. That's a personal pet peeve of mine concerning this industry. I would think that it is obvious that Nintendo isn't focused on this, as their new console doesn't even support bluray playback, and I applaud them for it.

You are correct in that eventually the Wii U will be hacked, and almost every true Nintendo fan will lose on that day because Nintendo will start losing more money than they are already losing because of selling the console at a loss. Let Sony or MS fold and it would be upsetting. If Nintendo goes away, that will be one of the first signs to me that this industry will be d00med.

Let Nintendo just be a gaming console. We already have MS and Sony to fight over which console gets HSN or Oprah channel. I don't only long for the olden days where a console was there to play a game on, I long for the day when the companies realize that video games are what moves their video game consoles off of the shelves and into our homes.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:37:37 AM PST
I am assuming that the company has departments and teams, and that the programmers who work on the games are not the same people as the programmers who work on the entertainment features. What the entertainment team decides to do does not detract from the gaming team.

Doing something like adding a volume slider, that should take approximately ONE DAY worth of work.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  43
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions