Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Magic The Gathering Cards Worth Anything?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 11:05:00 AM PST
Carlito says:
I used to play, a long time ago, before I discovered beer and women and I have a mess of cards spanning Revised Edition through Visions...are the cards worth anything, at all, or is it best to just show them my old rubbermaid garbage can?

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:05:58 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I sold a Portal card for $40 two weeks ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:06:51 AM PST
It all depends on what cards you have. The Black Lotus card can go for thousands of dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:09:47 AM PST
Carlito says:
That card was sick in price back when I still played! Unfortunately, I was never lucky enough to nail down one of those suckers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:10:35 AM PST
Carlito says:
You just ebay it or go to a dealer?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:12:29 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Sold it here. It was one of the rarest cards though. That was on the high end of the entire Portal series. I think there is only one other card worth more. So you have to do your research and get the values. If you don't have any valuable ones, then just chuck them. Otherwise, you'll be selling the cards for a penny and $4 in shipping charges just to be competitive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:16:51 AM PST
Carlito says:
That works, I'll just have to run through them and itemize what I got. I still have a somewhat good sense as to what was common and what was uncommon/rare back in the day so it won't be a huge task to sort that all out.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:19:43 AM PST
I would just check online to see what cards go for. If you have any cards worth $10 or more they would be good to sell individually but if you don't it would probably be easier to just sell it as a lot.

I'll give you tree fiddy for them! I still have all my cards but I don't plan on selling them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 11:24:55 AM PST
Carlito says:
I ain't sellin' my cards to no loch ness monster!

I was really holding them on for nostalgia sake but between my ongoing retro gaming collection, and Hamm's Beer memorabilia purchases for the bar around my den, some old habits just have to go to fund those pursuits. Therefore my MTG cards, sports cards, and possibly comics gotta go. At least with comics I know I have something with my incidental purchase of Marvel's Nyx #3...who knew all these years later it'd be worth something!?

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:30:18 PM PST
http://ark42.com/mtg/pricelist.php?p=3

This page does a good job of giving a quick overview of the money cards from each set. I'd recommend checking it for each set you have cards from to see which are worth finding, then scan your collection for those.

Also one easy tip: check through your revised cards for any dual lands - those are all in pretty high demand.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:36:24 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Well it was about this time I noticed that this Magic player was about 8 stories tall and was a crustacean from the protozoic era!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:52:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 12:52:46 PM PST
Pokemon cards are, I have a lot of rares/1st edition "holographic" cards (most 1st season) I am going to sell to a shop tomorrow most likely.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:57:08 PM PST
By holographic, are you talking about Foils? I never got into Pokemon, but I know that some MTG foils were slightly higher value than the base card. Also, when did bi-lands go up in price? A few years ago, they were common as all get out when they were trying to convince people to start going multi-color. Heck, there for a while they were trying to convince people to run with 3 colors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:59:00 PM PST
Carlito says:
I'll have to scour for my dual lands. I know they exist in my collection but currently I have like 12 built and boxed/protected decks. Just have to find where they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:59:07 PM PST
They have done a lot of different dual lands but the ones that are the really high prices are the original dual lands back from the first sets. They can go for well over $100.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:59:52 PM PST
Yes, foils.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:21:07 PM PST
Sure. Only very, very rare ones.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:50:23 PM PST
Carlito says:
Well, find #1...know I have Volcanic Island, almost certain it's Revised Edition...almost certain...and the price for that is ridiculous...

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:53:40 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
I have a bunch of serra angels and shivren dragons. Those worth anything these days? hmm...I should sell them since I don't play anymore. If I do in the future I could always play with proxies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:55:41 PM PST
Carlito says:
I have a mess of serra angels too, built decks around them...never said I was good ;) But from what I saw, they only go for a couple dollers depending on set.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:56:21 PM PST
Those would all depend on what set they are from since they are in quite a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:07:47 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
I had 2 charizard foils/1st edition but my bro stole it and sold it. Bastiage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:13:13 PM PST
Same thing happened to me! I used to have 1st edition foils of charizard, blastoise, whatever the grass one was, and a few others and they were all stolen at a card shop. At the time it probably was a loss of over $500 if the cards were sold for their value at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:17:00 PM PST
SA is one of the most overhyped white cards ever. 5 casting cost 4/4 flyer that doesn't tap to attack = seriously overpriced. If I'm going white, I always prefer to cap my cast cost a 3 with some exemptions(Wrath being a good exception.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 3:11:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 3:14:22 PM PST
Serra Angels and Shivan Dragons are worth very little now. The cards from old sets that are worth something are the ones that are either very scarce (e.g. Raging River) or the ones that are actually very useful in eternal formats.

So a revised Shivan Dragon is like $1.50 and a revised Serra is about $.50.

"Force of Will" an uncommon from Alliances, on the other hand, runs about $60-$70, depending on condition. Other than dual lands, that's probably the most expensive card from Revised through Visions.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Who here thinks Sony is getting hacked as we speak? 17 29 seconds ago
Steam Holiday trading card thread. 28 34 seconds ago
XBL/PSN outage update: Xbox live up and running. PSN? Nope. 33 1 minute ago
Those who got a PS3, PS Vita and/or a PS4 for Christmas are now entering day 3 of Playstation Notwork. 12 2 minutes ago
Spec Ops MP 1 4 minutes ago
OT: Fly, you fools! 4 7 minutes ago
Who stole Christmas? 12 8 minutes ago
Dragon Age Inquisition - No Dwarf love 13 11 minutes ago
How did you end up with your gamer handle? 32 11 minutes ago
Sony kept thousands of Passwords in a Fold Named "Password" 114 27 minutes ago
MSFT not messing around. Xone outselling PS4 3:1 on Amazon 122 27 minutes ago
Sony's online PlayStation Store victim of cyber attack 117 27 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions