Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

The story in games these days are lacking....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 135 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2012 3:47:35 PM PDT
Chaos Index says:
Anyone else think so? It seems that games these days focus too much on guns and killing stuff rather than the story (maybe because there are WAAAAY too many shooters). I know gameplay is important but a game with a good story is always a nice thing to have as well.

The only games I played this gen that I thought had good stories were Valkyria Chronicles, NIER, Catherine, 9 doors 9 persons 9 hours, Mass Effect, RDR and maybe The Last Story (haven't finished it yet).

The games these days are just not as memorable as those old Squaresoft RPGs I used to play... Or maybe its just nostalgia... =\

Anyways, what games this gen do you think had good stories??

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 3:49:01 PM PDT
1#Fetish says:
journey

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:52:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 3:31:09 PM PDT
The Witcher 1 and 2, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed series, The Walking Dead Episodes, Heavy Rain, Bastion, Dragon Age, Mass Effect.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 3:54:23 PM PDT
Meatwad says:
Spec Ops The Line, The Darkness and Asura's Wrath are great examples of storytelling in video games. Granted the first one might cause psychological damage and the other two might cause emotional anguish, but I'd say you should check these out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:56:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 3:40:28 PM PDT
I forgot about Specs Ops: The Line, good choice.

That was one of those games where I was more interested in the story and characters, then the actual game play. Not that the game play was bad, it was quite good really.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 3:58:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 31, 2012 4:09:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:14:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 3:51:53 PM PDT
I think video games in general have always been lacking, it's just the way the medium is. Having said that, I believe that, since the SNES days, games have been churning out good stories, although I do think that the SNES/Genesis days had only three games with great stories (Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger, and Earthbound). From there, I think there have been some games with great stories from every generation and decade. For example, the 90's had games like Chrono Trigger, Planescape: Torment and Grim Fandango.

While in this generation, games like Journey, Dead Space, Mass Effect, God of War, Uncharted, and others have been great games with great stories.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:16:45 PM PDT
I actually think the exact opposite is happening. IMO, it's becoming more and more apparent that video games are a superior storytelling medium than films and literature.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:18:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 4:19:17 PM PDT
Not sure if I agree that games are inherelity superior to books and film, I feel that they are all different. For example, novels like Lolita and Ulysses would not simply be as good if they didn't use the English Language.

However, I agree with you that video games are getting better due to the tools available to tell stories. A game like Mass Effect would be not be possible on the NES.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:20:28 PM PDT
"Not sure if I agree that games are inherelity superior to books and film, I feel that they are all different. For example, novels like Lolita and Ulysses would not simply be as good if they didn't use the English Language."

Good point.

"Of course, you can't forget poetry. I know people who live on the power of it, and games would not be able to replicate that."

Not in the context of language anyways. Visually though, it can achieve the same results.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:45:18 PM PDT
elect Tron says:
Alan Wake

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:53:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 4:56:57 PM PDT
I think one thing about stories now and then, is that stories back in the day were given to you as a whole. Now a days it pays to explore and do things that expand on the story. Your not necessarily given the whole story or background on things.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 4:57:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 4:57:49 PM PDT
DVvM says:
I think you need to read more books and watch move movies, no offense. Those are vastly superior media for storytelling than video games.

Interactivity can only serve to undermine storytelling. It can be great for immersion, but it's bad for narrative.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:57:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 4:58:17 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
If all games these days were about killing and shooting and not about telling cool stories I wouldn't be playing any videogames.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:16:36 PM PDT
elect Tron says:
Uhhh, no.

You're a good kid, Saiyan, but you are WAAAY off base here.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:17:59 PM PDT
"Interactivity can only serve to undermine storytelling. It can be great for immersion, but it's bad for narrative."

How so?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:18:26 PM PDT
n u b playin vadeo gaemz sinse u r hur n teh vadeo gam forumz ERGO gaemz deez dayz r not jus bout killeeng n shewteeng.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:19:08 PM PDT
Where's the base?! D8

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 5:20:16 PM PDT
Brad Michael says:
Never heard of the Uncharted series or Assassin's Creed? Sheeeeesh.

trollololol

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:21:46 PM PDT
I'm afraid I have to disagree very strongly. It hasn't been utilized well, or even particularly competently, throughout any entire work as yet (with the possible exception of visual novels, which are so light on interactivity and boast so many examples that it's hard to say, really), but the medium--not necessarily video _games_, per se, but interactive fiction--has the possibility of being better than more established media, both as a storytelling device and an artistic medium. The problem is that interactivity opens up an entire world of new possibilities, and only a tiny handful of them are actually good for storytelling.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:24:18 PM PDT
Gameresq says:
There are many games with immersive stories this generation: Assassin's Creed, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, The Last Story, Professor Layton, Metal Gear Solid 4, just to name a few

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:26:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 6:29:46 PM PDT
Maybe. I think the different methods have their own strengths and give their own unique experience. Poetry and its visual parallel, for me, still are special in their own unique way.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:11:09 PM PDT
I'm surprised Bioshock hasn't been mentioned yet. It's the best this generation in terms of storytelling. That game shows that video games absolutely can tell great stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:15:28 PM PDT
It's actually my favorite game ever, but I like to find other stories except the most obvious ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:18:38 PM PDT
elect Tron says:
Did you ever play Final Fantasy IV? That story was absolutely amazing, and it was on the SNES and came out before the games you mentioned. In fact, Final Fantasy IV was the first video game I ever played that showed me that video game stories could be incredibly powerful and emotional. It's the ultimate story of redemption.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions