Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Series that killed their own legacy this generation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 139 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:11:59 PM PST
I haven't played it, but I don't want to.

My point was that Crapcom tried to appeal to a fanbase that is not their own, alienating their fans further.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 1:00:56 PM PST
DVvM says:
I don't think that crowd particularly likes RE6 either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 12:59:41 PM PST
They tried to aim RE6 at the CoD/Gears of War crowd, the crowd that I dislike with a white hot fiery passion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:04:18 PM PST
Joshua C says:
Yes, really. You can still have a sense of survival-horror without a poorly designed movement system, and you can maintain the need to properly line up your shot without having to stop, hold down the "left" button to turn left, and then shoot. Not to mention that it was a frustrating endeavor when just walking around from place to place, because no one bothered to just let you move in the direction you pressed.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:33:03 PM PST
I agree with Silent Hill.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:23:27 PM PST
elect Tron says:
I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:21:49 PM PST
I was thinking about that one long after I posted it. Personally, I think the series sadly lost it's greatest strengths after the release of the third. How about you?

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:19:12 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Did anyone say Silent Hill?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:36:43 PM PST
I don't think selling millions of copies counts as a "very niche demographic."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 2:11:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 2:26:07 PM PST
Lat says:
No, not really. The "Tank" system in the early games was the whole point of the survival horror aspect. Walking around and properly aiming up your shot was supposed to be a myriad process, adding to the tension of the game.

The fact that you could run and shoot and jump all over the place in 6 completely betrayed the purpose of the tank system in RE1-CV. Even RE4 and 5 still tried to retain the tank controls. The early RE games catered to a very niche demographic, while RE6 was Capcom trying to turn this series into something it's not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 12:24:16 PM PST
FOGE says:
Thats because the people who developed Medal of Honor PS1 through Allied Assault left EA to make Call of Duty.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:22:16 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
Medal of Honor started of with a bang. I remember playing the original PS1 version which was ok but the PC only Allied Assault really took wargames to the next level.

That is until COD came along. The franchise has been struggling since.

As others have said Square has really lost their way with FF. I was so passionate about that franchise. And now I couldn't care less about their next game. And fans are willing to fork over hard cash for a FFVII remake and they continue to ignore it. It's like they don't want money. I don't get it.

A few others that were very strong but not as strong as they used to be. Tekken, Soul Calibur.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:36:29 AM PST
pyroguy says:
film-wise, I think the events from "Aliens" to "Alien 3" most likely happens after a few days maybe, going on a wild guess here. But this is how I see the Alien/Predator timeline (including the AVP/Colonial Marines games, but leaving out the 2 piss-poor films and haven't seen "Prometheus"):

"Alien" - 2122

"Aliens" - 2179

"Alien 3" - 2179 (again, most likely after a few days from Cameron's film)

"Aliens: Colonial Marines" - 2179 (Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford clearly stated, that this game takes place roughly 14-weeks after Ripley's death in "Alien 3")

"Aliens vs. Predator (1999)" - 2189 (If you played the very first mission in the Colonial Marine campaign, you'll see some text clearly stating that Hadley's Hope has been rebuilt 10-years after the original Atmosphere Processor blew up, which sets this and the next few missions on LV-426)

"Aliens vs. Predator (2010)" - 2209 (During interviews prior to release, either it was Tim Jones or someone else that mentioned the game taking place about 30-years after the events in "Alien 3". In fact, when you play as the Marine named "Rookie", you'll receive a radio transmission from Tequila mentioning the planet Acheron [which was LV-426 in the films] and how this drop is quickly shaping up worse than that one)

"Aliens vs. Predator 2 (2001)" - 2230 (This game is considered the very best in the series and enjoys how Monolith cleverly intertwined the fates of all 3 playable characters. However, the events here take place roughly 51-years after the events from "Aliens/Alien 3/Aliens: Colonial Marines" [and yes, i'm taking the upcoming game's events into consideration], and in fact, if you play as the Predator on the very first mission titled "Hunt", there's gonna be a small underground bunker you can explore just after receiving the Smart Disc. And inside this bunker, there's gonna be some papers thrown about on the floor, and if you read through some of them [most likely journal entries of some sort], one of those notes will reference the findings on the planet LV-426)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 9:41:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 9:42:53 AM PST
FallenMarvel says:
Just asking, but wasn't the time gap between Aliens and Alien 3 kinda big?

Oh, and Street Fighter.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 6:09:39 AM PST
pyroguy says:
well I have both "AvP 2010" and "AvP 2" as we speak and I enjoy them both ("AvP 2" more so, because it's what the movies should've been) and play them often.

As for "Aliens: Colonial Marines" goes, there's strong rumors floating around that Michael Biehn's character Hicks might play an important part of the story in the single-player campaign. In fact, one of those rumors is that the dead body we see in the beginning of "Alien 3" isn't Hicks, but a decoy that was put in his place, where he (Hicks) could very well still be alive somewhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:53:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:54:01 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Yeah, they were sort of a hybrid. But combat was MUCH improved over standard RE melee controls.

IDK, I loved both series.

As to the series, the first 3 were all very good, the fourth, while technically competent, just didn't have the same soul.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:51:54 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Haha - I'm a button masher and played DMC on combo easy/auto and GoW on normal.

Meh, these games are fun for me and I'm no combo expert.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:51:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:52:53 AM PST
elect Tron says:
Onimusha seemed more in the vein of the original Resident Evils and Dino Crisis to me. Kind of that slower-paced, more exploration driven gameplay with moments of combat.

Great games though. I loved the first two Onimusha games very much. Unfortunately didn't play any of the later ones after that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:23:51 AM PST
FOGE says:
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you. Just ordered it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:20:54 AM PST
Joshua C says:
5 bucks used at Gamestop

http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-360/games/devil-may-cry-4/66212

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:19:02 AM PST
FOGE says:
If I see it somewhere for $10 Id grab it. Seems to linger around $20. Also kinda want the 360 version since PS3 didnt get trophies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:17:23 AM PST
Joshua C says:
It should be pretty cheap, now. I really enjoyed it, even moreso when I got to the second half of the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:16:44 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Reboot does not equate prequel. This is a whole new Dante in a whole new world, with new fantastic points of view. No one to tell him no, or where to go, or say he's only dreaming.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:15:51 AM PST
Joshua C says:
Onimusha may have been before, but it was a very different style of gameplay. The combat/movement system was, if I recall properly, pretty much lifted from the original RE games (if you want to go left, turn your character to the left, move forward. In combat, draw weapon, turn to face, attack). DMC had a much more fluid movement system.

Regardless, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was before both of them as a 3D action game. You could take it back to games like OoT, but they don't have a jump button.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:10:19 AM PST
FOGE says:
Good to know. I do want to play it, but I heard so much bad that I passed. Ill probly enjoy it even if I dont love it. 2 was by no means great, but I had enough fun playing it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 3591 5 minutes ago
Transformers: The Movie 30th Anniversary Blu-ray! 14 15 minutes ago
Would you buy a used car from Hillary Clinton? 4 30 minutes ago
XBox One S: same disappointing gaming performance, but now in a smaller box. Overheating issues? possibly... 64 42 minutes ago
Overwatch discussion thread 1637 54 minutes ago
Why is D. Snow all over the front page? 17 1 hour ago
Bioshock Collection Incoming 31 1 hour ago
OT: Amazon's at it again with a rebranded 'Prime Phone' 18 1 hour ago
OT:Benghazi for shame 76 1 hour ago
Ot: Hillary: I'll Fix Obama's Lousy Economy By Applying More Of His Failed Policies 28 1 hour ago
Anyone else think that the Steam Sale Sucks? 22 1 hour ago
♫♥ *Håppy Bïrthday Zach* ♥♫ 7 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  139
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions