Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Valve disassociates itself from Xi3's Steambox

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 12, 2013 6:14:27 AM PDT
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/12/valve-disassociates-itself-from-xi3/

Valve disassociates itself from xi3

by Sinan Kubba Writer RSS on Mar 12th 2013 8:45AM

Valve declared it's not working on any current projects with Piston creator Xi3. Speaking to Eurogamer, Valve's Doug Lombardi said his company "began some exploratory work with Xi3 last year, but currently has no involvement in any product of theirs."

Alongside the Piston's reveal earlier this year, the device designed specifically with Steam support in mind, Xi3 announced Valve had invested in the PC company, which may in part be what Lombardi referred to in his statement. However, Valve later made it clear Xi3's Piston is not its own much-anticipated Steam Box, of which boss Gabe Newell said Valve aims to have prototypes for customer evaluation in the next three to four months.

As for Xi3's $999 Piston, the shiny miniature box is available for pre-order now, with the device expected to ship "in time for" the holiday season this year.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:21:31 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
Isn't this like the 3rd time now? I know since E3 they've been trying to beat it in peoples heads this isn't the Steambox.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 6:22:26 AM PDT
Well I think this was a response to the fact that Xi3 finally put a date on it.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:57:51 AM PDT
THANK YOU

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 7:59:56 AM PDT
It's because people only read headlines, and headlines always call this the "steambox" so people don't get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 8:03:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 8:04:10 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
EEEEEEE!

Prototypes for customer evaluation in 3-4 months?! Yay!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 8:03:47 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
That's Kotaku's fault for creating such a deceptive headline.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 8:05:54 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
And people still aren't listening. Go read that Kotaku article thread where people are basically saying that the Steambox is doomed.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 8:09:11 AM PDT
K Archer says:
I know this isn't THE Steambox, but it is one of a few devices that are being designed pretty much to play Steam games on a TV (a console for Steam, as far as I'm concerned). I consider the term "Steambox" just a placeholder for pretty much all the devices that fall into this category, Valve official console or not; they are made to play Steam games, so they are a "Steam-box". Valve did back the Piston at one point, after all, and we don't have an official name for Valve's console (it could be called something as silly as "Kinect", for all we know), so I have no problems with the term being used to describe the console.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 8:31:38 AM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
And that line of thought is the reason why Valve is having to come out and distance their involvement with this manufacture.

In a real world setting this box is no more capable than a laptop featuring a A10-4600M, it will draw less power and be modular, but out of the box it will perfrom the exact same as this: Lenovo Z585 15.6-Inch Laptop

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:43:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 9:49:33 AM PDT
$918.00
Color: Steel (Gray)
Processor Standard- Athlon Dual Core 3400E 22W - 2G DDR2
HardDrive: $170.00 Internal 128GB SSD
ExtHardDrive: $249.00 SLID3 Dual Drive One 1.0TB 5400rpm HDD
Mounting None
Keyboard/Mouse None
Operating System Standard- openSUSE Linux

That would be my config from the options... looks like it's a better deal to just build your own PC.

Then there is a standard Piston... Not sure what the specs are beyond this. Honestly... the spec list is pretty vague in general, I don't know who actually pre-order not knowing.

$899.99
Primary Storage:
Hard Drive Standard- Internal 128GB SSD
8GB RAM
3.2Ghz Quad Core (R464)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:00:12 AM PDT
I thought Valve was never really associated with the xi3 other than just licensing Steam?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 10:16:15 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
I doubt that it's something that they could/would/do even license.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Mar 12, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions