Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: I just saw someone who thought America was a democracy.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2013 9:34:30 PM PDT
I know some people are dumb, but this one takes the cake. This person actually thought America was a democracy, not a republic! For those of you who are all ready to argue, let's recite the Pledge of Allegiance, shall we?

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic (not democracy) for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.'

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 9:41:41 PM PDT
Jawwaad says:
I just saw someone who thought they were a credible troll. Too bad they were the 2.0 version which is now outdated and lame.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 9:54:17 PM PDT
Wait, you're calling me a troll? People are much more ignorant that I realized. No wonder other countries laugh at us.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 9:55:07 PM PDT
I remember reciting the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in school before this country took a turn on the road to political correctness.

I'm glad I grew up during a different time. The 90s were no holds barred and completely amazing.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 10:48:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 10:55:59 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
It's both oh wise one.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 10:58:11 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
We were technically founded as a "constitutional republic" because not all citizens had an equal say in government (wealthy landowning white males could vote, pretty much everyone else couldn't). Over time, however, the passage of laws gave practically everyone an equal say in government, making us, in effect, a democratic republic.

Wiki says:

Constitutional republic - a republican form of government where powers are limited by law or a formal constitution, and chosen by a vote amongst at least some sections of the populace. Republics that exclude sections of the populace from participation will typically claim to represent all citizens (by defining people without the vote as "non-citizens").

Democratic republic - a republican form of government where the country is considered a "public matter" (Latin: res publica), not a private concern or property of rulers, and where offices of states are subsequently, directly or indirectly, elected or appointed - rather than inherited - where all eligible citizens have an equal say in the local and national decisions that affect their lives.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 11:11:19 PM PDT
Modern Wolf says:
Jonathan just pops out of nowhere and tells it how it is, Thanks Jonathan! :)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 11:22:28 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
*takes a bow* Why thank you. Nice to know my font of random knowledge comes in handy every now and then.

By the way, that little plastic cap on the end of your shoelace is called an aglet.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 12:19:17 AM PDT
They must touch themselves at night.

On a side note, it looks like the Downvote Devil is having a good time in this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 12:20:33 AM PDT
Modern Wolf says:
Yea i noticed, The downvote devil is definitely in here.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 12:21:31 AM PDT
You know, I don't understand how it's more _politically_ correct NOT to recite the pledge of allegiance. I really don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 12:56:39 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
It's the whole "under God" thing - freedom of religion (or not to have a religion) as stated in the First Amendment means that the government cannot endorse a religion. It can acknowledge, but not impose, in other words.

This has only become an issue lately because until the Cold War that phrase did not exist in the Pledge of Allegiance, nor did "In God We Trust" appear on our paper currency. Congress made it the official motto in 1956 to differentiate the U.S. from the "godless communists."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 1:01:02 AM PDT
Oh, I know what the common issue people have with it is. I don't give a crap about that, as the continued bitching from both sides is getting more sad than anything at this point. I'm just pointing out how stupid the phrase "politically correct" is.

I can't believe we, as speakers of the richest language in the history of the Earth, actually all agreed to adopt that phrase for that concept.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 1:42:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 21, 2013 1:51:57 AM PDT
MoultonHawk says:
Troll was made aware of this by another and then takes it for his own and acts like he's the one that is omni-schient. FAIL.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 1:59:18 AM PDT
Restore The Pledge!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:12:25 AM PDT
Nicos says:
They certainly were No Holds Barred. What an amazing time to be alive.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:14:20 AM PDT
....Are you Charlie Kelly?

Sounds like a rant he'd do.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:19:38 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:22:02 AM PDT
pokritz says:
best show ever

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:27:42 AM PDT
Other countries laugh at America because it smells like ranch dressing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2013 6:39:03 AM PDT
God I love ranch dressing. Do you have some ranch dressing? I could really use some ranch dressing.

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 7:24:36 AM PDT
Duh, anybody with any type of common knowledge knows that America is republic.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions