Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Wii U Has A Big Problem: Sibling Rivalry

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 6:37:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 6:46:15 AM PST
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/11/04/the-nintendo-wii-u-has-a-big-problem-sibling-rivalry/

Sharing is hard. This is a lesson the Wii U may teach parents and children in painful detail.

Nintendo is pushing a new ad campaign for the upcoming Wii U console launching later this month.
I'm not so sure. I think the Wii U will be high-powered enough for the majority of Nintendo fans - after all, 1080P is the goal here, and the Wii U should achieve that without any problems.

Furthermore, with games like Bayonetta 2 coming to the console, there shouldn't be the same problem with serious content that the Wii faced.
The tablet controller may be a bit gimmicky (and may open the door for lots more on-disc DLC) but it might also turn out to be really fun for all sorts of games - whether you're an RPG fan and you want a better map and inventory module, or a casual gamer who enjoys the combination of touch-based controls with party games, etc.

No, the real problem is more insidious: what do parents with more than one kid do about sharing the tablet controller?
How quickly does a fight between brothers and sisters turn into grabbing and - gasp! - throwing that expensive tablet controller across the room.
This could be a real problem with no real solution.

If you're not a parent, just imagine yourself as a kid again.

"Why does she get the controller it's my turn!?" "Nu-huh, it's my turn!" "No it's not!"

"Moooommmmy she bit me!"

Give me the damn controller daddy's going to play now. Kids, go to your rooms.

Yeah, this may not end well.

Oh, and this new Nintendo commercial is terrifying.
These people live in giant, windowless cubbies; they spend all their time smiling garishly at giant screens; and they listen to some of the worst music ever made.
Truly, this commercial does not make me want a Wii U - the line-up of games and the 1080P make me want a Wii U.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7dbGJieRaH0

What is it with Nintendo lately? They announce all these amazing launch titles for the Wii U and then botch the ad campaigns for both it and the 3DS.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/10/03/nintendos-peculiar-im-not-a-gamer-ad-campaign-misses-the-mark/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:40:00 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
<snip>

No, the real problem is more insidious: what do parents with more than one kid do about sharing the tablet controller?

How quickly does a fight between brothers and sisters turn into grabbing and - gasp! - throwing that expensive tablet controller across the room.

This could be a real problem with no real solution.

If you're not a parent, just imagine yourself as a kid again.

"Why does she get the controller it's my turn!?" "Nu-huh, it's my turn!" "No it's not!"

"Moooommmmy she bit me!"

Give me the damn controller daddy's going to play now. Kids, go to your rooms.

Yeah, this may not end well.

Oh, and this new Nintendo commercial is terrifying.

These people live in giant, windowless cubbies; they spend all their time smiling garishly at giant screens; and they listen to some of the worst music ever made.

Truly, this commercial does not make me want a Wii U - the line-up of games and the 1080P make me want a Wii U.
<end>

When did The Onion change their name to Forbes?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 6:44:26 AM PST
"The tablet controller may be a bit gimmicky (and may open the door for lots more on-disc DLC)"

what is this i don't even

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:01:13 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
This author seems to think that one tablet controller means it does single-player only??

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:04:56 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Article has a point. Kids are quite reluctant sharing anything video game related. My boys have already ripped off a Nunchuck's cord while fighting over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:05:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:09:53 AM PST
He's simply referring to the single tablet (the full gimmick) thats included (that would cost $150(?) for a new/replacement. To which Nintendo has said they will not be selling them until sometime next year and currently will only be replacing damage/defected under warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:06:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:26:44 AM PST
and thats how much?

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:07:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:07:38 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Silly Flores, the Wii U is not for kids. Just grown ups that act like kids.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:07:07 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Luckily, just a scolding and $20

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:08:10 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Tell that to the soccer moms making long lines this holiday season.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:08:36 AM PST
ok...image if it was this table. Wait dont image, dont want my kids to even think about it.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:10:32 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think we should have a standing rule that no one on this forum post articles from Forbes anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:11:22 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm pretty sure they are just spoling their 30 yr old , basement dwelling offspring that think playing another Mario is worth $400.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:13:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:15:51 AM PST
I dont agree with article as a whole but it does bring out a very interesting point. I will definitively not be purchasing a second tablet when made available at this price (currently could not buy a second tablet if wanted to) . My kids will not be the only ones fighting to use this tablet

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:15:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:15:06 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:15:12 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The only thing that this article brings up is the need for parents to be better parents. You want to fight over the tablet, now you can't play the game at all today.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:16:32 AM PST
Gotta go with Fox here. Also, we're only going to have the one kid, so it will be just me and her wrasslin' for the gamepad.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:16:32 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
growing up 4 years younger than my brother, i was always luigi, tails, etc. always second player, and i dealt with it.

i know being second player for the wii-u is much different, but deal with it. i thought this was the unwritten rule of siblings.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:17:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:22:14 AM PST
right... because all kids where there are more than one in the same house share everything, everytime, always and ever especially when its new. right.

FCOL....you cant even get the option to purchase a second tablet if you wanted to.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:19:05 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Sounds to me like there's going to be sharing issues between Doug and his older brother this Christmas.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:19:05 AM PST
M. McFly says:
Pretty stupid but does have a point. Thinking back to when I was a kid my brother and i would each grab a NES controller and battle all day (blades of steel/techmo bowl, RBI baseball, 2 player contra,ect) , if we had 1 tablet back then it would have sucked bad. Actually had some good bonding playing video games, not happening with the U...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:19:23 AM PST
I. Flores says:
Being good parents has nothing to do with brothers fighting each other for gameroom supremacy.
It comes with the package.
I can just assume you don't have any children yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:24:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:24:46 AM PST
I guess if you cant beat them..join them. now why dont you brush your hair away from your face and then you can see who youre talking to.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:26:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 7:27:58 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
My kids fight over timeshare on the iPad. It would be same problem or worse if the game is blaring on the 60" practically singing 'Nah nah nah nah nah!' to the other child. It is pretty cruel, given consoles to kids are for fun time. Nothing fun about spectating, or pulling someoneone immersed for 10 minutes out of the game to give up their progression to share.

Responsible parents should probably stick to the Wii for multiple kids, since the Wii U has an odd personality disorder. It is more of a personal platform than a equal opportunity, casual friendly one. It is an odd design choice for Nintendo of all companies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:28:40 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
I'd rather not. I don't want to turn to stone.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions